you know you drive an XJ when.. - Page 397 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > you know you drive an XJ when..

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955RCV Axles at CCOR15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 09-17-2012, 08:06 PM   #5941
aamuthers
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj_noob
When you have withdrawals from not working on it :'(
Thats me right now.
Feel free to work on mine, I need tie rod ends, ball joints, a wheel bearing and I have to fill my power steering fluid just about every other day

aamuthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 08:25 PM   #5942
cherokeekid58
2000 XJ Cherokee 

When your going on your 4th engine...

When your friends and family tell you to sell it and get a "practical" car...

When you sacrifice your Grand cherokee that was your DD for the new short block for your XJ...

So far it seems correlated to OCD and the need to look at one's poop."
cherokeekid58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 12:05 AM   #5943
Ih8Hondas
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeekid58
When your going on your 4th engine...

When your friends and family tell you to sell it and get a "practical" car...
How do go through more than one engine in an XJ? The 4.0's and 2.4's are built like brick ****houses. Mine's had an engine swap though. No idea what PO did to it to make it need that.

Also, how can you get a more practical vehicle than an XJ without buying a full-size truck? XJ's have loads of room for stuff, seating for five plus the cargo area (who know how many people you could cram in there), they're awesome in the winter, they can pull some things, they're good if you need to make little off-road excursions to get where you're going, and if you want a trail rig they're great for that too.
Unread 09-18-2012, 01:13 AM   #5944
AttackAttack
2000 XJ Cherokee 

When you can hear air getting sucked into your intake over the sound of the muffler
AttackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 06:21 AM   #5945
xj_noob
2001 XJ Cherokee 

When you have a PO
xj_noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 07:30 AM   #5946
cherokeekid58
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8Hondas View Post
How do go through more than one engine in an XJ? The 4.0's and 2.4's are built like brick ****houses. Mine's had an engine swap though. No idea what PO did to it to make it need that.

Also, how can you get a more practical vehicle than an XJ without buying a full-size truck? XJ's have loads of room for stuff, seating for five plus the cargo area (who know how many people you could cram in there), they're awesome in the winter, they can pull some things, they're good if you need to make little off-road excursions to get where you're going, and if you want a trail rig they're great for that too.
They think the bad MPGs are the reason i should get rid of it, and its always in need of repair lol.
Engine #1: cracked head, coolent in oil caused front con rod bearing to explode into dust. Still drove it 15 freaking miles home with no bearing! Theb drained 5 gallons of oil and anti-freeze out of the oil pan. That explains why it was cranking over extremely hard.

Engine #2: piston #4 droped half the skirt into the oil pan. Still drove it 5 miles home. Knocking like crazy.

Engine #3: one of the con rod bearings went again. Idk why.

So now im swaping in #4.

Sorry for getting off topic.

Unread 09-18-2012, 08:22 AM   #5947
xj_noob
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Well there we have it. A pure testimonial that shows even though the engine was barely running, the 4.0 will still get you where you need to go......... with a slight limp.
xj_noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 09:23 AM   #5948
accorn
1989 XJ Cherokee 

When you run into a mint 96xj w/tire holder in a scrapyard, with a fully detailed engine bay, clean interior, new speakers and full skid plates. Then scratch your head and and begin to try and determine what went so wrong that it came to this... Then struggle internally for 15min over buying it and stripping your 89 to upgrade it or just strip it for upgrades.

When your rear passengers start to compare your xj, while off road, to a rollercoaster unfavorably. So you speed up and the reviews get better untill the yota owner in the back needed to hurl

When you can race down a mountain pass like a sports car, but the strait flat portion at the bottom makes you worry.

When you need those KC's to light up a mile of freeway because thats about the stopping distance for stock breaks from 80 in your pre 95 xj.
accorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 09:34 AM   #5949
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeekid58 View Post
They think the bad MPGs are the reason i should get rid of it, and its always in need of repair lol.
Engine #1: cracked head, coolent in oil caused front con rod bearing to explode into dust. Still drove it 15 freaking miles home with no bearing! Theb drained 5 gallons of oil and anti-freeze out of the oil pan. That explains why it was cranking over extremely hard.

Engine #2: piston #4 droped half the skirt into the oil pan. Still drove it 5 miles home. Knocking like crazy.

Engine #3: one of the con rod bearings went again. Idk why.

So now im swaping in #4.

Sorry for getting off topic.
What year engines did you swap in? If I were you I'd be building my own by #4.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 09:48 AM   #5950
cherokeekid58
2000 XJ Cherokee 

First was original, second was a 2003, third another 2000, (junk yard special) lol. And the 4th is gonna be a 1993 short block with the 2000 head swaped over. If i blow this one up, its getting a diesel swap.

Unread 09-18-2012, 09:49 AM   #5951
joshrad
Who needs roads?

1997 XJ Cherokee 

When you need to make a u turn on a 6 lane street, but they are getting ready to repave it and have it all torn up in the middle except for one lane each direction, and after they stop traffic for a back hoe and a couple trucks, the construction guys still keep traffic stopped and wave for you to cut across the torn up lanes

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJames1226 View Post
Once the members of jeepforum get drunk enough, anyone can be a lawyer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz_Soldier
Wait! Does that mean XJs are Xtreme Jeeps?
joshrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 01:18 PM   #5952
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
First was original, second was a 2003, third another 2000, (junk yard special) lol. And the 4th is gonna be a 1993 short block with the 2000 head swaped over. If i blow this one up, its getting a diesel swap.
If you want that motor to last I wouldn't put the 2000 head back on unless you bought a different head with the improved casting.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 01:35 PM   #5953
cherokeekid58
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepkid03 View Post
If you want that motor to last I wouldn't put the 2000 head back on unless you bought a different head with the improved casting.
Yeah i know. Im thinking about leaving the 1993 engine alone and just fabbing up brackets to hoild the coil packs on. Then throwing the whole en chalada in.

Unread 09-19-2012, 10:34 PM   #5954
vx1kxj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Yeah i know. Im thinking about leaving the 1993 engine alone and just fabbing up brackets to hoild the coil packs on. Then throwing the whole en chalada in.
yep exactly what i did. i put a 95 motor in that actually had more miles on it. call me old school but the 91-95 HO motors are the best...forget this powertech crap in the later models. best mod ive ever done.
Unread 09-20-2012, 04:07 AM   #5955
BlueBadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeekid58
4bt!!!
BlueBadger is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.