YJ guy needs help. Looking at an XJ for my girlfriend. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > YJ guy needs help. Looking at an XJ for my girlfriend.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 09-01-2014, 03:42 PM   #1
95YJMountie

1995 YJ Wrangler 

YJ guy needs help. Looking at an XJ for my girlfriend.

Okay, so before you look at the add, let me explain the situation.

My girlfriend has a 2000 Dodge ram 1500 Sport. It has some minor rust starting in the usual dodge places (doors, wheel wells) and she doesn't want to fix it. Before it gets worse, we were going to sell it, and find her a jeep. She likes wranglers, but her in a wrangler worries me... Lol. I talked her into a 2 door XJ, and she likes them. Price needs to be under $4,500 which is the normal going rate for one in my area anyways. The problem is, is that 2 doors are very hard to find, around here at least. She needs an automatic, and I'm looking for one that doesn't need a lot of work, since ill be the one stuck doing it lol. So, the point of this post, is to ask, are there any certain years to stay away from? Also, anything i should really double check when looking at one to avoid problems? I know my way around vehicles just fine, but wanted to see if these have certain flaws that are common enough that i should watch out for.

Heres one that i found that is basically what she is looking for.

1989 Jeep Cherokee Lifted Very Nice!!! $3250
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/4614041739.html

95YJMountie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2014, 11:28 AM   #2
Amesbear
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I had a '90 2 door for a few years. Nothing out of the ordinary that I remember. I had to replace the water pump and do some drive train stuff but that's not year specific. The '89 in that ad looks insanely clean, especially for a 25 year old PA rig. I'd be a little paranoid that you aren't getting the whole story. Check all the normal stuff like leaks, rust, milky oil, etc. Also, check to see that all the structural stuff inside the engine bay is either factory original or they have an explanation about why it's not. I looked at a Jeep and the lying bastard swore up and down that it had never been in an accident. When I pointed out that the entire front end had junkyard grease pencil all over it, he stopped talking to me.
Unread 09-02-2014, 12:01 PM   #3
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

He says he hasn't gotten around to fixing the air bag yet. That's an odd thin to say. It's an 89: what air bag?

Sent from my phone
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2014, 12:16 PM   #4
VNilla
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
He says he hasn't gotten around to fixing the air bag yet. That's an odd thin to say. It's an 89: what air bag?

Sent from my phone
I thought the same thing.

I'd say go look at it and find out more about it. The seller seems a little sketchy. That said nearly any year after 1987 with a 4.0 should be good.

Breaking bolts and taking names.
VNilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2014, 12:28 PM   #5
wizardPC
1998 XJ Cherokee 

It's poorly worded.

Quote:
but just want you to know
horn doesn't work. No airbag in this one so it is nothing serious i just haven't got around to fixing it yet
The "it" in that sentence is the horn.
Unread 09-02-2014, 04:37 PM   #6
95YJMountie

1995 YJ Wrangler 

He worded it weird. He means, theres no airbag, so the issue is only with the horn.

So is it worth driving over an hour to go look at it?
Unread 09-02-2014, 04:56 PM   #7
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

For longer distance shopping (though 1 hr isn't much by my standards), I always ask for full quality photos to be emailed to me first so that I can have the best idea of what I'm going to see possible. From this guy, in addition to what's posted I'd like to see the interior, engine bay, undercarriage, and close-ups of the replaced rockers if possible before I'd go look at it if it were far from me. People seem to be fairly awful at posting photos on Craigslist for some reason, but at least this guy got all the main exterior angles; some people take one awful shot of 90% of one side of the vehicle and call it a job well done--pitiful. For me, 1 hr...I'd probably just go look at it.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2014, 07:11 PM   #8
95YJMountie

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Im still gonna ask for more pics first, and if everything looks okay, and we decide to get it, Jeepforums XJ section will have a new member
Unread 09-02-2014, 07:20 PM   #9
NHYJ4213
1988 YJ Wrangler 

New rear drums and calipers? I didn't know drums had calipers
NHYJ4213 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2014, 07:43 PM   #10
MaskedMallard
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95YJMountie View Post
Okay, so before you look at the add, let me explain the situation.

My girlfriend has a 2000 Dodge ram 1500 Sport. It has some minor rust starting in the usual dodge places (doors, wheel wells) and she doesn't want to fix it. Before it gets worse, we were going to sell it, and find her a jeep. She likes wranglers, but her in a wrangler worries me... Lol. I talked her into a 2 door XJ, and she likes them. Price needs to be under $4,500 which is the normal going rate for one in my area anyways. The problem is, is that 2 doors are very hard to find, around here at least. She needs an automatic, and I'm looking for one that doesn't need a lot of work, since ill be the one stuck doing it lol. So, the point of this post, is to ask, are there any certain years to stay away from? Also, anything i should really double check when looking at one to avoid problems? I know my way around vehicles just fine, but wanted to see if these have certain flaws that are common enough that i should watch out for.

Heres one that i found that is basically what she is looking for.

1989 Jeep Cherokee Lifted Very Nice!!! $3250
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/4614041739.html
Try this search engine.
http://www.searchcraigslist.org

Just type in 2 door Cherokee or something like that.
MaskedMallard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2014, 07:53 PM   #11
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Looks good but asking price seems kind of high for more than 25 years old.
Rockers already replaced. I'd look closely for rust issues. Crawl underneath and see if you can poke your finger through the floorboards.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Enter your jeep in the ROctober Cherokee Of The Month contest!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2014, 10:03 PM   #12
95YJMountie

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedMallard View Post
Try this search engine.
http://www.searchcraigslist.org

Just type in 2 door Cherokee or something like that.
That would work better if it wasnt a national search engine. Within the first page, distances ranged from DC to littlerock lol. Not taking a vacation to go buy a jeep.
Unread 09-02-2014, 10:06 PM   #13
95YJMountie

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
Looks good but asking price seems kind of high for more than 25 years old.
Rockers already replaced. I'd look closely for rust issues. Crawl underneath and see if you can poke your finger through the floorboards.
Will do, however this thread may have been useless. The guy quit responding through email, and his add never had a phone # listed. He either changed his mind about selling it, or sold it to someone else and is just ignoring me now..
Unread 09-03-2014, 07:28 PM   #14
MaskedMallard
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95YJMountie View Post
That would work better if it wasnt a national search engine. Within the first page, distances ranged from DC to littlerock lol. Not taking a vacation to go buy a jeep.
I just wanted to show you prices & what is out there. You don't see 2 door Cherokees everyday. I figured since you were looking for something specific (2door automatic) it would help out. Remember, a happy Girl Friend is a happy you.

Would it really be that big of a deal to drive 6-8 or even 10 hours to get a Jeep you really want??? Drive out, spend the night & drive back with a Jeep she really likes. Maybe even fly if it's cheaper.
MaskedMallard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2014, 08:09 AM   #15
SSellers
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I typically use this one.
http://www.searchtempest.com/

It'll let you spec zip and distance. Once hitting search you have options to use autotempest which adds in autotrader and stuff. I usually do "No, stay on searchtempest" since autotrader has become a joke, then when the results load I usually use "Direct Results" mode. It opens a small window with all the craigslist areas within your search window listed, and clicking on each one opens a new window direct from craigslist. The default combined results mode lists everything on one page plus adds in ebay results (you can turn that off in preferences) sorted by distance but the ad links/titles do not have the full info from craigslist, i.e. price or city.
SSellers is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.