Is this XJ worth the money or should I pass? (Pics inside) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Is this XJ worth the money or should I pass? (Pics inside)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteinjager TJ tube doorsAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONS

Unread 04-19-2014, 11:30 AM   #1
lacofdfireman

Is this XJ worth the money or should I pass? (Pics inside)

As some of you may know I am searching for a Cherokee and came across this one. I want something that I can drive around with no death wobble and according to the seller this one's lift has been done right and he says 80mph there is no shimmy or shaking going one. He said it rides just as good as a stock jeep would even at speed. Only concern I have is it has some rust on it but most jeeps that spend their lives in snow country do. He said the lower drivers side door is the only rust spot that is really noticeable.

Here is what he states in the ad..
1999 Jeep Cherokee Limited
$7000
68K Miles
This jeep is ready to go anywhere you dare!!! Built by Jessie at Rick's Muffler in****. Almost 10k in aftermarket parts...rough country long arm 6" lift with monster tera flex joints, custom rock sliders, detour off road tire carrier(frame mounted)on bumper, custom front bumper with warn 8000 winch, hid lights $150 a piece, flow master exhaust, slip yolk eliminator with yukon gear, custom drive line built by six states, skid plates, completely new cooling system with hd radiator,ect... engine is the legendary bullet proof 4.0 straight 6....tires are 265 70r 17... pictures will follow also Kicker ZX350.4 amp and infinity Kappa series 6 1/2 2 way speakers 270 watts mx that still need to be installed brand new in factory boxes...THIS WILL NOT LAST SO HURRY Oh cb with whip antenna

Here is a photo. I will post some more as he sends them.

Last edited by lacofdfireman; 04-19-2014 at 11:43 AM..
lacofdfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2014, 12:42 PM   #2
VNilla
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Based on the description and pictures it doesn't sound awful. Keep in mind though that the seller is trying to make it sound like they have the best thing for sale. You'll have to go check it out in person to really find out.

The rust isn't a huge issue. If it was on the frame of the body then you wouldn't want to deal with it but he says it's only the door so that's fine. When you look at in person really get under it and look at everything. More rust more problems.

Buying a Jeep that has already been lifted usually isn't ideal. If you just like the look of it, have no intentions of off-roading and have plenty of money to blow on the Jeep then by all means buy a previously lifted Jeep. Although, he does say that he got it done by a professional so if that' true then that's pretty good.

All in all you really have to go look at it yourself. Search any questions you have and post any detailed questions you have.

You live in Utah so a Jeep seems perfect. Good luck.

Breaking bolts and taking names.
VNilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2014, 02:51 PM   #3
lacofdfireman

I ended up making an offer for $6500. I felt it was worth the $7k he was offering but it was above the $5800 budget I had. (That's the money I made when I sold my motorcycle). He accepted and I will be giving him the cash next week when the banks open.. I figure for whatever has been done already I would have done anyways and this one is basically turn key. Only thing I will add right away is a Rola Roof rack and maybe and LED light bar. Also I want to PlastiDip the wheels black. Should be a fun jeep...

Last edited by lacofdfireman; 04-19-2014 at 03:16 PM..
Unread 04-19-2014, 03:11 PM   #4
miceanic
1990 XJ Cherokee 

If you plan on wheeling it in the Utah rocks your going to want more protection underneath. Diff, lower control arm mount, skids if it doesn't have any. He did a good job with the stuff you can see but underneath looks to have a little surface rust which tells me the lift has been on it awhile. Might need to replace some bushings in the near future but nothing bad. The inner wheel looks really dirty but that could be the picture. Take it for a good test drive and pay particular attention to the undercarriage.
miceanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2014, 03:19 PM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Seems like a good XJ with some decent parts for a fair price.

Do something about the sway link brackets on the axle.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2014, 03:28 PM   #6
lacofdfireman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Seems like a good XJ with some decent parts for a fair price.

Do something about the sway link brackets on the axle.
What needs to be done to the sway link brackets? Sorry I'm new at all of this and still learning. I'm sure I will be asking a lot of stupid questions but I love to learn..
Unread 04-19-2014, 03:37 PM   #7
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Both are bent, and poorly butt welded. They need to be reinforced and gusseted.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2014, 08:34 PM   #8
lacofdfireman

I asked owner about any oil or fluid leaks in this 99 Cherokee and he said that it will use about 1/2 Quart ever 4k miles or so. Is this typical for a 165k 4.0 motor? Just curious..
Unread 04-19-2014, 10:37 PM   #9
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacofdfireman View Post
I asked owner about any oil or fluid leaks in this 99 Cherokee and he said that it will use about 1/2 Quart ever 4k miles or so. Is this typical for a 165k 4.0 motor? Just curious..
Yes, 1/2 qt. every 4k mi isn't bad at all, I believe most manufactures spec. that up to 1 qt. every 750 mi - 1,000 mi is acceptable.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2014, 08:25 AM   #10
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Looks like a decent XJ. A bit more money then I would pay but I'm in eastern PA. The prices and values vary quite a bit from state to state. Love the color. White XJ's look bad-azz. Good luck with it.
cbenez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2014, 12:05 PM   #11
lacofdfireman

Thanks everyone for the replies.. I am hoping to be able to go pick it up on Wednesday this next week. Should be fun. Also as far as adding a basket to the top it currently has rails. Will they support like a Rola basket? That's the one I have been looking at but also been searching to find out what other options are out there. And also how to mount the basket to the rails. Searching for that also.. Great forum. But I'm spending about 6hrs a day on here right now just reading and trying to learn. There are some incredible XJ's on this forum... Very impressive..
Unread 04-20-2014, 12:55 PM   #12
93gc40
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I doubt you could buy a stock 99 with less than 70K on the clock and then do all the modding yourself for less than the $6500. You got almost that much in the RE lift lift and bumpers there.
93 ZJ 4.0 / 2"BB / Wranglers / RIP-Gone but not forgotten.

If it aint dirty, it aint a JEEP, it's just a SUV.
93gc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2014, 09:03 AM   #13
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

10k in parts, lmao yeah right.
00 XJ Sport "Wannabe Desert Rat"(August 2012-Present) 4.0L - 160k Body, Monstalined Menace, ATK+ Longblock, 6.5" IRO Short Arm Lift, LMP Front Bumper, Bushwacker Flat Flares, Clayton DS Track Bar, ZJ V8 Steering, Quick Discos, Bilstein 5100s, IRO HnT SYE, Braided SS Brake Lines, 1" TC Drop, HiLift, #784 Injectors, Flowmaster Super 44, 33" BFGoodrich A/T on Outlaw IIs, Safari Snorkel, Autopal Harness + 80/100w H4 Bulbs

Blue Waffle Build Thread
Built Not Bought #704

Past Jeeps:
93 ZJ Laredo(Jan 2011-April 2011) 5.2L - 98k, Stock - Totaled
96 ZJ Laredo(April 2011-August 2012) 4.0L - 138k, Cowl Intake, Rancho 9000 Series, 2" Spacers, 31" Baja MT Widetracks - Sold

Monstaliner: http://monstaliner.com/
Iron Rock Offroad: http://ironrockoffroad.com/
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2014, 11:47 AM   #14
lacofdfireman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ View Post
10k in parts, lmao yeah right.
I agree no way he has even close to $10k in parts. I was thinking $3-4k max. But I still don't think I can buy a used one and put it together like this one is for less than $6500. I still think its a good deal. What about you?

Oh ya and it doesn't have 68k miles. The miles are 168k.
Unread 04-21-2014, 04:18 PM   #15
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Dude if you wanna spend that kind of money, just buy mine new engine and all, lmao.

At 168k miles, I have a hard time believing it's worth more than $4000 maybe $4500.
00 XJ Sport "Wannabe Desert Rat"(August 2012-Present) 4.0L - 160k Body, Monstalined Menace, ATK+ Longblock, 6.5" IRO Short Arm Lift, LMP Front Bumper, Bushwacker Flat Flares, Clayton DS Track Bar, ZJ V8 Steering, Quick Discos, Bilstein 5100s, IRO HnT SYE, Braided SS Brake Lines, 1" TC Drop, HiLift, #784 Injectors, Flowmaster Super 44, 33" BFGoodrich A/T on Outlaw IIs, Safari Snorkel, Autopal Harness + 80/100w H4 Bulbs

Blue Waffle Build Thread
Built Not Bought #704

Past Jeeps:
93 ZJ Laredo(Jan 2011-April 2011) 5.2L - 98k, Stock - Totaled
96 ZJ Laredo(April 2011-August 2012) 4.0L - 138k, Cowl Intake, Rancho 9000 Series, 2" Spacers, 31" Baja MT Widetracks - Sold

Monstaliner: http://monstaliner.com/
Iron Rock Offroad: http://ironrockoffroad.com/
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.