XJ vs ZJ offroad capability ??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > XJ vs ZJ offroad capability ???

Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday SaNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 12-19-2008, 04:20 PM   #1
Lar45
1999 WJ 

XJ vs ZJ offroad capability ???

Hi all, I'm new here, but not new to off roading.

I'm wondering if there is any big difference between the XJ and ZJ when it comes to off road trail abilities, mods for bigger tires...

I have a 93 XJ with the 4.0, 5 spd, the heavier Chrysler(8.25") rear diff and the front Dana 30 has the one piece axle shafts that take the 297(?) U-joints. (the brain is a little fuzzy tonight so sorry if I mess up on things)
I bought it with a 2.5-3" lift and 31x10.50 15's. It has about 190k miles and the enjine is a little tired.

I'm pretty good with fabbing parts, weld, cut, swap... but need to do less of it because of a bad back.

I'd like to step up to larger tires, 33's at a minimum or 35's if it's reasonable.
The straight 6 and 5 spd and dependable, but with bigger tires, I think I'd rather have a v8 and auto tranny. So it's either swap into the XJ or go to a ZJ. So I guess the question is, how do the ZJs do off road compared to the XJ?

Any comments, suggestions... are apreciated.
TIA

Lar45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2008, 04:53 PM   #2
91xjgawes

this has been discussed over and over again, the search button will find you everything you need to know

the 4.0 IMO is better option than the v8. zj's have to many comforts for a jeep.
research it and determine for yourself though

2001 xj- 2 inch bb moabs

1998 zj 5.2- 245/75's moabs
91xjgawes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2008, 04:57 PM   #3
Jones
Consider the following...

I love the power of the v8 for on and offroad use. There are positives and negatives to both. Use the search button.
Unread 12-19-2008, 05:56 PM   #4
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

The 4.0 is a very capable engine, with plenty of torque. The bigger tires will require more gearing, instead of more horsepower. With 33's and 4:56 gears, you will think you have a v8 along with the 5 speed. You will find that a V8 ZJ, with stock gears and 33's will be less than pleasing.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2008, 06:07 PM   #5
mbogosia
1987 MJ Comanche 

I'm actually running 33's with 3.55 gears in my XJ and I don't mind it. I thought for sure It would drive me crazy. I kinda drive like a old man though.
Welded rear and Aussie Front Locker
mbogosia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2008, 10:15 PM   #6
Lar45
1999 WJ 

Thanks, I'll use the search button.

Here are some pics of my last creation in Moab 2002
71' Early Bronco with 5.0 SEFI V8, NP-435 tranny, twin stick Dana 20, 9" rear Dana 44 front with 4.56 gears, Detroight in the rear with EZ locker in the front. 3.5" lift 35" Ground Hawgs, hinged radius arm, onboard air w front square tube bumper/air tank, Warn 8000 in reciever hitch mount(on front)
Oh and Nissan Pathfinder power steering. I'm sure I probably forgot something in the list. It got 16 mpg on the highway too

Is there a trick to getting the pics to show up in the post? In the preview they were there, now I only see links???
Lar45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2008, 10:25 PM   #7
91xjgawes

you got to have at least 50 post... and they have to be hosted from a site such as photobucket, imageshack, etc...

2001 xj- 2 inch bb moabs

Unread 12-20-2008, 12:29 AM   #8
Mr_Clickerson
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91xjgawes View Post
you got to have at least 50 post... and they have to be hosted from a site such as photobucket, imageshack, etc...
They don't have to be hosted from an image host. If they're on any other site, you can just copy the image link and past it here in the image tags. As long as the picture is on the "web" it can be posted here.

But yeah, you have to have 50 posts in order to post images.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward; whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For wounded man shall say to his assailant, "if I live, I will kill you- if I die, you are forgiven;" such as the rule of honor.

Last edited by Mr_Clickerson; 12-20-2008 at 04:17 AM..
Mr_Clickerson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2008, 01:22 AM   #9
91xjgawes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Clickerson View Post
They don't have to be hosted from an image host. If their on any other site, you can just copy the image link and past it here in the image tags. As long as the picture is on the "web" it can be posted here.

But yeah, you have to have 50 posts in order to post images.
what he said ^

2001 xj- 2 inch bb moabs

Unread 08-04-2014, 08:44 AM   #10
mike789963

I got a 97zj with a 3 in lift and 33s and it runs fine on road but shines off road it needs a stronger ssteering set up tho...
mike789963 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2014, 09:35 AM   #11
caronaxtr
2001 XJ Cherokee 

My XJ is on 33's, just regeared to 4.56 and it is so much better than the stock gearing & 33's. Personally, don't need more motor just regear to match your tire size. Your manual will help too. I've ordered 35's now that I got power back.

Bronco looks killer, love the old solid axle rigs....
caronaxtr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.