XJ vs WJ for daily driver? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > XJ vs WJ for daily driver?

Rear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 12-21-2009, 05:44 PM   #1
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

XJ vs WJ for daily driver?

Don't know where to put this so it's here. Mods feel free to move it.

So I had an XJ and it was great until 2 weeks ago when I was involved in a pretty bad car accident on my way to work. An empty school bus failed to yield right of way at a stop sign and I plowed into the side of it at around 40 mph. Needless to say my XJ is now scrap metal.

I have been informed me that I will be receiving a check from the other driver's insurance company for the replacement value of my XJ so I'm in the market for another truck. I've been looking around at private sales and have found a few early WJ's with 4.0s in my price range. How do these trucks compare to the XJ's? Do they have the same acceleration as the 4.0 XJ's or are they pigs without the V8?

I don't care about wheeling it and I don't need it to tow or haul anything. I am mainly looking for something 4WD and not V8 that is simple and comfortable for daily driving in very crowded city/suburb areas, and going fishing on mild fire roads or beaches on the weekends. I'm driving my 2500 crewcab longbed diesel everywhere right now and it sucks!

Any input from anyone who has owned both would be appreciated.

1 ton yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2009, 06:26 PM   #2
Nick
2006 WK 

I haven't owned both, so take my comment for what it's worth.

I think that the WJ would be a great DD. I personally think that they're much more comfortable for driving to work and back, and such.

But, I don't think the WJ is available without a V8, you'd have to get a ZJ to get the AMC engine. I might be wrong, though.
2001 WJ | 4.7L V8 | Utah Jeepcrew #19 | Hemi Club Member 60

1990 White XJ Laredo [Sold]
2000 Silverstone XJ Classic [Sold]
2006 Dodge Charger RT Hemi [Sold]
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee [Current]

Xbox Live gamertag: XJ Nickk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DcMuff View Post
Banned for being the cooler Nick
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2009, 06:50 PM   #3
01ClassicXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

The WJ was available with the straight 6 but i have never been in one but i have been in fully loaded V8's and they are more conferable than the XJ.
01ClassicXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2009, 06:59 PM   #4
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

The 4.0 powered WJ is a bit weaker than the XJ, but is still a great vehicle. You will lose a small amount of MPG's but the creature comforts will more than make up for it. I have one with the 4.7L and it is great as far as performance, but the gas mileage sucks with the fulltime 4x4. The 4.0L should come with the 242 t-case and it will get better mileage than my limited. I would jump on the WJ if you don't plan to offroad or tow too much. I think the XJ is a much better ride for offroading, but for a DD the WJ is great.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2009, 07:38 PM   #5
99avant

WJ for a DD. Get the 4.7 and you will never be happier.

the mpg difference between the wj 4.0 and 4.7 is minimal compared to the performance difference.

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.
99avant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2009, 08:02 PM   #6
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

i drove a 4.0 wj before buying my xj, it was more comfortable, and seemed to have nearly the same low end pickup, though not quite as much, it still pulled very well, i would say drive one and find out yourself how you like it, i would have bought that WJ but he wanted way to much for it for some of the work that it needed.
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2009, 08:35 PM   #7
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I get to drive both, and I can say this.

Xj- Feels more rugged, more jeep like, and it looks awesome. Really stands out in a crowd of econoboxes. Really good power. (stock, haha)

wj- Interior is perfect. So quiet, and really comfortable. Makes a great dd, and I can say that the wj with a 4.7 is a rocket, but the mileage sucks on ours because it's too fun. But stay off the pedal, and it wins as a dd.

If you use your jeep as a designated driver machine like I do-(not only a daily driver) it's much easier to fit 5 people in the wj.

Either way, you're getting a sweet looking body, and the timeless capability of solid axles. The wj is the only other jeep I'd keep forever.
srmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2009, 10:14 PM   #8
the6nightmares
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I would agree with the majority of the comments above, I had a WJ before the XJ, not with the 4.0 although I have driven many with the 4.0, it is no racecar however it gets the job done. The smooth ride and quiet comfortable cabin are a big plus. If I were to choose a Jeep, or any car for a dd, that did not need major offroad capabilities, I would choose the WJ.
Unread 12-22-2009, 07:29 AM   #9
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

My gf just recently bought a 2002 Overland Edition GC with the high output 4.7L engine. That thing definitely has some power and torque, plus the interior is extremely nice. 1000 times more comfortable than my XJ, but then again I've never ridden in a stock XJ to compare. Like was said before, there is hardly a difference in gas mileage between the I6 and the V8, so I'd go for the 4.7L, even without the HO engine.

Try to find a limited with heated leather seats, definitely worth it.
Unread 12-22-2009, 08:06 AM   #10
freestylekid33
1999 XJ Cherokee 

My parents have a wj and i like driving my xj more because it stands out more, but for longer trips the wj is nice because its a bit more comfortable and i like the power of the 4.7, being able to spin all 4 tires on dry pavement is pretty fun lol
freestylekid33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2009, 08:41 AM   #11
BadgerXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

My girlfriend just bought a 2004 WJ Special Edition with the 4.0. We'd actually been looking at XJs all day and had one picked out, until she tried out one Grand Cherokee at the end of the day and wound up buying it. It's ridiculously nice and it's got all kinds of creature comforts that make it great for running around town or going on road trips. She said it handled roughly the same as the XJs we looked at.

But the interior just felt too... big. Reminded me of a minivan. Not the Jeep for me, but she loves the damn thing, so I'd say they're worth checking out.
BadgerXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2009, 09:14 AM   #12
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Also, Iron Rock Off road makes crazy suspension for the wj. We just got a 3 inch kit, and it's going on soon.

Good luck finding what you want!
srmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2009, 10:13 AM   #13
crosschecker
1995 XJ Cherokee 

One more vote for the WJ. Even though you can't go wrong with either, the WJ is a little more comfortable for a DD with just a tad less power.
'96 ZJ 5.2 Limited
crosschecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2009, 10:25 AM   #14
austinaubinoe
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah my family just picked up a 2004 limited 4.7 with 60,000 for just over 10k. These things go so cheap its unbelievable! I love my DD XJ, but the WJ is just AWSOME.

Get a 2000 or so 4.7 and spend all the money you'll save on gas. haha. you seem like a good candidate for the 242 swap, since its a DD and not just a winter car.
austinaubinoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2009, 10:45 AM   #15
XJH-007

X......4? 5? ah who cares......WJ

I too just bought an 02 Overland (V8 4.7L HO). Rediculous power, uber comfy to drive, and if you can keep your foot out of the 265 HP's around town BETTER mileage then the 4.0 XJ on 33's and I6 WJ.

When I flatland drive (to and from my airport 2,000 ft vert. in 50 miles each way) that sucker averages 22 MPG. Fricken awesome. I towed my snowmobiles 200 miles through the mountains 2 weeks ago and got 18.2 round trip. The lowest I've seen it drop in town (average) is 16.4.

I6's in WJ are a dime a dozen out here in CO.......everyone want's the V8's.

The big difference in the I-6 vs the V8 is the transmission, two totally different transmissions. The I6 runs a tranny better suited for the lower output and gear requirements for it. The V8 is coupled to a 5-Speed (yes 5-speed) auto tranny that uses 2 different 2nd gears depending on loading and driving conditions.

Cruise this site...everything you wanted to know and more.

Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ - WJ Four-Wheel Drive Systems
Tera 4:1 / 4:56's_Elec. Locked D44
**84' CJ7 4"BDS 33's
***02 WJ Overland
XJH-007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.