XJ vs WJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > XJ vs WJ

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S Exha

Unread 02-04-2011, 09:36 AM   #1
cbordea
1998 XJ Cherokee 

XJ vs WJ

I know the folks here love their XJ's and I do as well.
Can you let me know the advantages of the XJ over the WJ?

I'd like to get another jeep some day and my wife doesn't really like the XJ but she likes the appearance of the WJ better and the XJ's aren't getting any newer.

How much is different other than body styles and the rear springs?

Any thoughts?

cbordea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2011, 09:40 AM   #2
ChEaPsK87
1987 XJ Cherokee 

ummm...V8. need i say more. my wife wants a trailblazer but i am trying to talk her into a WJ instead.
ChEaPsK87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2011, 09:44 AM   #3
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

If it is for your wife, i would say WJ hands down, all the creature comforts of the WJ far exceed that of the XJ, and womenz like thier creature comforts.
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2011, 09:47 AM   #4
cbordea
1998 XJ Cherokee 

we have a trailblazer and we love it. If she gets one look for one with the G80 rear end that has the built in locker. I don't have one :-(. trailvoy.com is a great site if you want to do a little research.
Also, you don't have the lift options on the trailblazer that you do on the jeep. The front DS goes through the oil pan so you are limited to 2.5 inch spacer suspension lift and then about a 3 inch body lift.
They also have an issue with the upper ball joint, it comes over top of the tire. If you want to go more than a 30.5 inch tire you have to either get new rims or wheel spacers. The rims are 6X5 bolt pattern which are unique and limits available wheels.

They will tell you there that jeeps are better for mud but the TB is more comfortable.
Unread 02-04-2011, 09:48 AM   #5
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

The WJ is a lot more cushy with better creature comforts. Mine has the V8 and will smoke the XJ no problems, if I had it to do over though I would find one with the V8 and the 242 t-case in a laredo model. The limiteds have some problems with the blend doors and stuff. My wife drives the WJ daily and loves it, I drive either the TJ or XJ. If you plan to wheel it more than DD it the XJ would be my choice, but for a daily driver the WJ is awesome. Mine has 4" of lift and 32" tires and looks great that way IMO. Around here there are lifted XJ's everywhere, but not many lifted WJ's.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2011, 09:55 AM   #6
cbordea
1998 XJ Cherokee 

that's good stuff. What might happen is I get it for me and give my wife back the Trailblazer.
She wouldn't complain as much for the WJ over the XJ.
Originally I had an S10 and she had the Trailblazer.
I sold the S10 to get a min-van because we couldn't fit everyone in the S10 if the TB broke down.

She hates the van and wants her TB back.
I thought about getting selling the Van and getting an XJ but if she has to drive it she won't like it.

It doesn't help that our son has the XJ(98) and it seems to always need some work.

With 3 kids and only 2 cars, you need to be able to haul everyone in both vehicles in case something happens.
Unread 02-04-2011, 09:56 AM   #7
cbordea
1998 XJ Cherokee 

does the WJ have the same issues with driveline vibes as the XJ?
I don't think I would do more than a 3 inch lift on the WJ.
I'll do more digging on the WJ board but I knew some guys here had both.
We don't wheel (yet), I just like to hunt and fish in some places that can get muddy at times and we occasionally like to ride up in the swamp on some of those dirt roads.
Unread 02-04-2011, 10:46 AM   #8
scott_jeep
1996 XJ Cherokee 

At this point WJ's aren't getting any newer either.

Before I got my XJ I test drove a bunch of WJ's and my impression was you need the v8. The 6 cylinder with all the extra body just lags. I like my cars to have pickup as soon as I stomp on the pedal but the 6cyl would think for a second then initiate power. You wouldn't think it would matter but making lane changes it becomes pretty annoying.

Aside from that it's a pretty nice ride.
scott_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2011, 11:23 AM   #9
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

The WJ doesnt have the vibe problems the XJ has in the rear shaft, but some of them like mine come with a rezeppa front shaft which is basically a cv joint on each end. They can't handle much lift and around 3" will need replaced. I just recieved my replacement double cardan shaft with new yokes from Carolina driveline.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2011, 11:33 AM   #10
cbordea
1998 XJ Cherokee 

when I first posted I thought all grand cherokees were WJ's so excuse my ignorance there :-(
After reading on the WJ forum I expect if I get one I would likely just do the 2.5 inch spacer lift.
comparing to an XJ 3 inches and 31 inch tires would be plenty for all I ever do and I think on the WJ and a 2.5 inch lift I can get something similar to the 31 inch tire.

it also appears from reading over there that the WJ is better for wheeling than the newer WK models and I don't think I want to go older than the WJ. Thanks for all the input, I might post some WJ specific questions on the WJ forum. Many thanks!
Unread 02-04-2011, 11:48 AM   #11
ChEaPsK87
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbordea View Post
we have a trailblazer and we love it. If she gets one look for one with the G80 rear end that has the built in locker. I don't have one :-(. trailvoy.com is a great site if you want to do a little research.
Also, you don't have the lift options on the trailblazer that you do on the jeep. The front DS goes through the oil pan so you are limited to 2.5 inch spacer suspension lift and then about a 3 inch body lift.
They also have an issue with the upper ball joint, it comes over top of the tire. If you want to go more than a 30.5 inch tire you have to either get new rims or wheel spacers. The rims are 6X5 bolt pattern which are unique and limits available wheels.

They will tell you there that jeeps are better for mud but the TB is more comfortable.
thanks for the info on the TB. i really like the black SS the most! we are thinking of a kid maybe soon. we have a cobalt POS right now that she dont like. we got it for the 4door gas sipper but screw that. and after becoming a XJ owner i thought about the WJ for a good option for comfort and stay with jeep quality within my budget.
ChEaPsK87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2011, 01:36 PM   #12
Planetcat
2004 WJ 

I sold my 4.5" lifted 96 XJ for my 04 v8 WJ. I regret it every day. The WJ is powerful, extremely comfortable, a little bigger, much quieter inside, and great for driving around in. I really like the way it looks, too. But, it's a PITA to modify, as after market parts are less available than XJ's, the rear D44A is a good axle, but few locker options, and quite honestly, the XJ is more capable off road (I'm sure my WJ brethren will flame me for this). I love driving the WJ as a DD, and it's decent off road after a lot of mods, but I still had to go and buy a beater XJ to kick around on the trail and hunt with.
Unread 02-04-2011, 02:12 PM   #13
cbordea
1998 XJ Cherokee 

yeah, I think for an offroad ability the XJ is tough to beat for being cheap and easy to lift and build. I need something that will spend 90% of it's time on the pavement and some time in the woods or on the beach that I can work on. I'm pretty familiar with our 98xj and feel comfortable working on it. I've done 2 engine swaps on our 98 with no worries. The 06 TB I'm not as comfortable with right now but getting there. It is all about finding the right folks to help you out.
Unread 02-04-2011, 02:19 PM   #14
kadetklapp
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I traded in my '99 XJ with 200k miles and a host of problems for a down payment on a 2004 WJ Special Edition. V8, NV247, D44a. It's a nice vehicle. It's trusty and very capable off road even in it's stock form.

I wish I had the 242, but the 247 does a good job. Especially since it's now my wife's daily driver (was mine).

That being said, I would like to have another XJ for a DD before I'd have another WJ. The XJ was a lot more fuel efficient (20-22 mpg with 30" tires vs 14-16 on the WJ), had more affordable lift options, and is more nimble on and off road.

2008 "Jeep" Patriot <-----Crap.
kadetklapp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.