XJ trim and bumper polish? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > XJ trim and bumper polish?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 08-10-2014, 09:40 AM   #1
Victor311

XJ trim and bumper polish?

Can anyone recommend a good polish to get rid of the sun faded outside trim and bumper?

Victor311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2014, 09:58 AM   #2
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I'll tell you what works but nobody ever believes me. Armor-All, a detail brush, and being willing to put in the effort. It may take you an hour per flare. Spray it on, use the tips of the bristles to work the dirt and everything else loose, then wipe (scrub). Repeat. It works, my flares look like brand new and everyone asks how I did it. But as I said, nobody believes it.
Unread 08-10-2014, 11:42 AM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Most people simply paint faded plastic. Remove it, clean and degrease it, and use some Krylon plastic paint. I have found that Armor-All and bumper black type products wash off after a few months.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2014, 11:49 AM   #4
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

This is why people don't like Armor-All, it isn't supposed to be left there at all.
0810141047a-1.jpg

Unread 08-10-2014, 08:59 PM   #5
sweryap
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Heat gun worked like a dream on my trim. They are 10-15 bucks for a cheap one and you can use it for lots of other stuff as well. I was amazed how quick and easy this was.
sweryap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2014, 11:39 PM   #6
shooptube
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Most people simply paint faded plastic. Remove it, clean and degrease it, and use some Krylon plastic paint. I have found that Armor-All and bumper black type products wash off after a few months.
I agree, painting ends up looking a lot nicer and lasts.

Unread 08-10-2014, 11:57 PM   #7
Shadowkai
1998 XJ Cherokee 

My XJ had terrible fading when I picked it up off a used car lot. Treated with ReNu Pro trim restorer and it looks great, like new even after four months in direct sunlight.
Shadowkai is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2014, 06:53 AM   #8
SSellers
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I haven't tried this but Eastwood makes pretty good products.
http://www.eastwood.com/ew-plastic-r...k-aerosol.html

Video of application on an XJ.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihFq4m_YXWE

"About Eastwood Plastic Resurfacer Matte Black Aerosol
With 7 year UV resistance, this is not just another black paint or wipe on coating! Eastwood Plastic Resurfacer actually reflows and resurfaces all faded and chalky exterior matte black plastic automotive parts and bedliner material leaving a factory fresh, deep black finish. It passed 3000 hours of ASTM D4587 QUV testing, that's equal to 7 years in the hot baking sun without fading. unlike many wipe on products It actually etches and reflows the surface embedding black resins into the substrate and maintaining the original texture. Compatible with all automotve plastics and urethanes."

SSellers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2014, 09:07 AM   #9
wizardPC
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Another method

But paint is probably a safer idea.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.