Xj towing boat? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Xj towing boat?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineCHASSIS SAVER™ Labor Day 2 for 1 Sale!!!JKS Flex Connect in Actions!

Unread 06-24-2015, 12:02 AM   #1
xjowner10
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Xj towing boat?

My xj has 3 inch lift 32s and stock gears. I'm wondering if I will be able to tow a 16 foot aluminum boat? My main concerns are going up and down the steep boat ramps. Will I stress parts of the jeep considering I still have the stock 3.55 gears? Just wanted to see people's thoughts on this. I'm not really sure how much the boat and trailer weigh...1400 maybe?
Thanks

xjowner10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2015, 04:56 AM   #2
Motorcharge
Bandeded

1991 MJ Comanche 

I wouldn't think twice about it. You could tow that with a car. Jeep shouldn't have a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2015, 05:15 AM   #3
Shadownwpa
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I think I've seen amish buggies pulling those.
Unread 06-24-2015, 09:46 AM   #4
chris87xj
JF Admin

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Mine does fine by me with 4" lift and 31s on stock 3.55 gears pulling a 16' aluminum deep-V .
I do use trailer brakes and most of time drive like I've got some sense about me.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009

chris87xj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2015, 08:53 AM   #5
xjowner10
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Ok thanks for the input I'm not worried at all anymore. Thanks!
xjowner10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2015, 08:58 AM   #6
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The difficulty with towing is stopping the trailer at highway speeds, the vehicle tow rating is based on this. You won't have any difficulties at slow speed. If you keep the wheel very straight, than you can pull straight forward in 4 wheel drive mode on the steep/slippery ramp when necessary. Go back to 2wd as soon as you can, and do not make any turns on pavement in 4wd mode or you could damage your driveline.

Edited to include Motorcharge's comment:
US tow capacity of the XJ: 5000 lbs
UK tow capacity of the XJ: 7100 lbs

If you drive your XJ from UK to the US somehow, you have to leave your trailer at the border...
mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2015, 02:59 PM   #7
Motorcharge
Bandeded

1991 MJ Comanche 

It's 1400 pounds. If you have trouble towing that with anything then you shouldn't be towing. XJs are rated for well over that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2015, 02:19 PM   #8
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Hell I towed a 2 ton+ RV with my XJ on 31's and 3.55's (I have 4.10's now which makes it a lot more pleasant). You won't notice that boat unless you're trying to hard stop on the freeway.

Side note: I forget what they're called by there's a cable gadget floating around to let you manually engage/disengage the front axle. So you can put it in 4lo for the deeper gearing, then disengage the front axle so you don't have to worry about turning on pavement. Might be handy on boat ramps!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.