XJ reliability for DD - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > XJ reliability for DD

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 09-09-2012, 07:48 AM   #1
dgi
2000 TJ Wrangler 

XJ reliability for DD

I have had my TJ since new and been considering converting it to Auto as its my DD.

I want to know how reliable the XJ Cherokees are for DD duties as they can be had pretty cheep and they are all auto. Looking for a 4.0. What kind of mileage will i be getting? I sit in traffic for 28 miles each way to work.

Also, im 6'6" and need to be comfy. I have Big Boy Brackets in my TJ and imagine they would be needed in the XJ should i make the move.

dgi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2012, 08:05 AM   #2
NJXJ91
2001 XJ Cherokee 

On 31s summer time mix I get around 13.5 mpg in town. Havent taken it on a long trip. Keep in mind my speedo is off. Stock if I remember i got around 14-15 mpg in town and 19-21 highway
NJXJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #3
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

An Auto XJ on regular sized tires is a pretty practical DD.

The AW-4 is very reliable. They hadle pretty decent on the hgihway and can hit 20mpg if you're easy on it.
Unread 09-09-2012, 08:28 AM   #4
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
An Auto XJ on regular sized tires is a pretty practical DD.

The AW-4 is very reliable. They hadle pretty decent on the hgihway and can hit 20mpg if you're easy on it.
This.

And I'm 6'3" ~290 lbs and I fit just fine. Interior is much more roomy than TJs.
Unread 09-09-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
dgi
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Are XJs quieter on the highway than my TJ? My TJ has the factory sized 30" wheels on there and its quite comfortable (all relative), but i want my wife to be comfy riding in it as well. Would be nice to be able to use my bluetooth on the cell without much road/wind noise.
Unread 09-09-2012, 09:42 AM   #6
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgi View Post
Are XJs quieter on the highway than my TJ? My TJ has the factory sized 30" wheels on there and its quite comfortable (all relative), but i want my wife to be comfy riding in it as well. Would be nice to be able to use my bluetooth on the cell without much road/wind noise.
97+ with the bigger door moldings are as quiet as most cars. Any of them are definitely quieter than a soft top.

Personally if I was just looking for a DD I'd find a 97 or 98 loaded ZJ. They've gotten cheap around here recently while XJs have started to go up.
Unread 09-09-2012, 09:49 AM   #7
dgi
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i have never had my Hard Top off in my jeep... factory soft top is still in the wrapper in my basement lol

i need to track down a cherokee to take for a spin... knowing my jeep's history is a huge plus and buying one that i wont have a clue is a scary idea.
Unread 09-09-2012, 09:51 AM   #8
p2y2r7o
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I have a Kenwood stereo with bluetooth and a mic, and for the most part I have no trouble with people hearing me talk. Sometimes on the interstate I have to speak up a little more than usual but that was expected without the mic being closer than it is.
Unread 09-09-2012, 09:52 AM   #9
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

My Cherokee was real quiet when I bought it! Rode very nice, too. Obviously not a car.

The front suspension is going to be the same as your TJ ... or as an unmodified TJ. The rears are leaf sprung, but ride decently for a leaf spring vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
97+ with the bigger door moldings are as quiet as most cars. Any of them are definitely quieter than a soft top.

Personally if I was just looking for a DD I'd find a 97 or 98 loaded ZJ. They've gotten cheap around here recently while XJs have started to go up.
ZJs have their own ZJ problems, when I was looking for a 4.0 Jeep, I passed up many a nice ZJs. First, they only have Chrysler automatic transmissions, they are more prone to electrical problems and , for some reason, tend to pop ECMs fairly regurlarly.
Unread 09-09-2012, 10:05 AM   #10
dgi
2000 TJ Wrangler 

what axles come in XJs? i understand its preferable to buy 98-99 cars for some reason... could someone elaborate?

If i make the switch i'd be looking for an OME lift with no bigger than 33" tires but 31s would be fine as well...

Would 30" tires fit with canyons stock?
Unread 09-09-2012, 10:37 AM   #11
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
ZJs have their own ZJ problems, when I was looking for a 4.0 Jeep, I passed up many a nice ZJs. First, they only have Chrysler automatic transmissions, they are more prone to electrical problems and , for some reason, tend to pop ECMs fairly regurlarly.
I never said they didn't have issues. I simply said if I was looking for a DD only I'd look for a ZJ.

Quote:
what axles come in XJs? i understand its preferable to buy 98-99 cars for some reason... could someone elaborate?

If i make the switch i'd be looking for an OME lift with no bigger than 33" tires but 31s would be fine as well...

Would 30" tires fit with canyons stock?
99 is the popular year because they don't come with the 0331 head which is prone to cracking, it still uses a distributor, and you don't get the low pinion D30. Axle listings for the years are in the tech sticky for stock specs.

30s will fit, but you'll rub at full turn, but not bad. Hell, I run 32s on stock suspension (fenders trimmed) and only rub at full turn.
Unread 09-09-2012, 10:40 AM   #12
dgi
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i'll check out the sticky...thanks for all your help!
Unread 09-09-2012, 12:09 PM   #13
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

I got 21 mpg with 235's on my XJ on the highway in the flat parts of Ohio. I still do 17mpg with 31's.

97 XJ SE - DD/Light Trail Rig - The War Wagon
75 CJ5 with a badly chopped CJ7 Tub - Pandora
96 Land Rover Discovery - Black Dog; possible trail toy
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2012, 10:20 AM   #14
AmbuGrl
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I use my XJ as a DD... I get average mpg in town 13-16 dpeneding on how I drive. On the highway our last trip we got GREAT mpg at around 22-23. I am lifted with 33in KM2s and the neon injectors. My XJ is also automatic, so Im not sure how that manual transmission would compare.

I drive an XJ, and all of my power windows work :)

2000 Pontiac WS6 - DD
DD (Mine) Sold - 98 XJ Moss Green
(His) - 92 YJ December 2013 YJOTM

Sold - 95 ZJ
Sold - 97 XJ Red
Sold - 98 XJ

USN Jeep Club Hull #36
NAXJA #3700

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
WTF is Clockspring??? my Jeep has digital clock
AmbuGrl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2012, 06:27 PM   #15
bcs13
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I went from driving a lifted tj as a DD to a stock xj. I wouldn't even think of going back, the XJ drives much nicer on the highway
bcs13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.