XJ Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > XJ Questions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 06-03-2008, 09:39 PM   #1
XJtheTanK

XJ Questions

I am getting a cheap beater car to save some money on gas. I am thinking the XJ may be parked for a month or two at a time. I know it is good to run a parked vehicle every-so-often, but what would you guys recommend as far as maintenance, fluids, etc to allow me to park the rig for extended periods, and still have it continue to run like a champ? I currently run fossil oil, and have 140k, so switching to synthetic will just slip through any of the gaskets. I will still use her when the weather gets bad, or occasional weekends (hitting up the ORV parks), occasional towing, and road trips.

I would like to get some ideas from y'all, so lets hear them...
What I have come up with is seafoam, but anything else?

XJtheTanK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2008, 07:06 AM   #2
XJtheTanK

has anybody had any issues with having an XJ sit for an extended period?

If not, it makes me love my XJ that much more

bump
Unread 06-04-2008, 07:44 AM   #3
mecompco
www.midcoastjeep.com

1994 XJ Cherokee 

My XJ wass parked a year before I bought it. Rodents filled the heater blower fan with dog food which we found when we turned the heat on--lots of stinky smoke!
Suspension: Old Man Emu 3" lift+OME AAL, JKS adjustable trackbar, QDs, LCAs UCAs, A.C.O.S., DPG Offroad adjustable bumpstop plate, Daystar poly bumpstops.
Steering: Currie HD steering, C-ROK steering box reinforcement, OME stabilizer.
Armor/Recovery: T&T Custom belly skid, Mopar gas tank skid, JKS LCA mini skids, Rock Lizard Super Skink Sliders, Mopar 2" receiver, ARB Bull Bar/Ramsey REP 8.5 winch.
Drive train: D30 front axle w/Superior Chromo D30 axles & outter seals, D/S 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, Ruff Stuff cover. Ford 8.8 rear axle w/Superior Super 88 kit, Ford Motor Sports 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, SOLID cover, Russell stainless lines. Front and rear Tom Woods HD drive shafts, 242 x-fer case w/Tom Woods SYE.
Tires/Wheels: 33x10.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains on Alcoas.
Misc: Garvin Wilderness rack, Safari Snorkel, Redline Tuning hood lifts.
Awaiting installation: Autometer A pillar gauge pod, oil, water, & tranny temp guages, PIAA driving lights, Goferit tie-rod flip bushing, '95 Brake booster and M/C, M.O.R.E. Motor mounts, TnT Custom 1.5" Shackle.
Stroker Project: HO Block, '99 intake manifold, bored TB, 1" TB spacer, Dynomax Blackjack Header, Permacool electric fan.
mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2008, 09:27 AM   #4
mortalenema
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Is it going to be parked at your home? I'd just take it to get groceries on the weekend, and not worry.
mortalenema is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2008, 12:33 PM   #5
Jason, aka: Jeepin.com
Vendor

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortalenema View Post
Is it going to be parked at your home? I'd just take it to get groceries on the weekend, and not worry.
Agreed. My XJ doesn't seem to like sitting un-driven for long periods of time (like multiple months/weeks). I think that's part of my current transmission problems (I hope!).

From what I've read, water condensation can cause some issues if the fluids don't get up to operating temp often enough to evaporate out the water. I know I've opened up axles, that had good diff fluid and a good seal on the cover, but sat so long that the area above the fluid level that was exposed to the air actually started to rust. Apparently this can also cause issues with the transmission, and probably other areas as well. I'm sure this could cause issues with non-submerged seals as well.

I'm going to try to make sure our rigs get at least a few miles on them every other week now.
'00 TJ, SOLD, wife's, RE 4.5" long-arm, 35" MT/Rs, D30+OX, D44+ARB, 4.88s, full cage, winch, C4x4 & Jeeperman bumpers, etc, etc.

Jason, aka: Jeepin.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2008, 12:50 PM   #6
sportsterguy342

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortalenema View Post
My thought exactly...
sportsterguy342 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2008, 08:23 PM   #7
XJtheTanK

thanks for all the responses. Yes, it will be at my place, and most likely it will get driven once a week (hopefully if gas prices stay where they are), but my concern is if it sits for a couple weeks to a month, would there be any issues.
But it also seems like I am being a bit paranoid...my neighbors 2001 Dodge has sat for a few weeks, and now he cannot even start it (a diesel), even though everything worked before he parked it. He has been having to use my work truck for the towing he needs. I was just checking to make sure this wouldn't happen to mine. **granted, I have not taken a hard look at the truck, but when I tried to fire it up, it was a no-go--may be unrelated to being parked for a while**
Anyways, thanks for the responses, and if anyone has any ideas of different fluids I should use (I have fossil oils) let me know.

anyone know if royal purple is okay to use on higher-mileage vehicles? I have heard varying things, even from my gearhead friends, so wanted to hear your thoughts
Unread 06-04-2008, 08:27 PM   #8
Jason, aka: Jeepin.com
Vendor

1995 XJ Cherokee 

your neighbor probably has something in his truck that's sucking a little bit of power all the time, like the stereo or something, that eventually drained his battery. Our Dodge diesel came stock with dual batteries though, so I think it would be hard to kill it. Not sure when they started the dual battery thing though.

As far as that goes, if you've got a stereo that remembers all your settings even when it looses power (some do, some don't), you could simply disconnect the battery if you know it's going to sit for a while. That should take care of any starting issues.
'00 TJ, SOLD, wife's, RE 4.5" long-arm, 35" MT/Rs, D30+OX, D44+ARB, 4.88s, full cage, winch, C4x4 & Jeeperman bumpers, etc, etc.

Jason, aka: Jeepin.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.