XJ project #2: The TwoFerOne Teen Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > XJ project #2: The TwoFerOne Teen Jeep

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 11-20-2010, 09:41 PM   #1
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

XJ project #2: The TwoFerOne Teen Jeep

So the dreaded day has come. My son turned 15 and 1/2 and got his driving permit.

So that means its time to get another XJ. One for him to drive but as long as my name is on the title, I plan on driving it a lot too. Since I already have one that's built, I'd love to keep this one stock, and very nice.

Unfortunately nobody wanted to sell me their mint-condition, low-mileage, garage-parked, never-offroad-driven, old-lady-owned XJ for $2,000 or less.

But I found this '97 Sport with 145,000 miles on Craigslist and bought it for $1500.

As you may have guessed it was driven by a teenager / college student which isn't necessarily a bad thing. But how about a "custom" interior?

I'll let you be the judge.

Notice anything missing in the above pics?

Along with various missing/broken trim peices, there's no stereo.

I should also show you the back:

Apparently, the jeep was broken into and the stereo was stolen. Not once either, but 4 times. The last time they took the whole rear corner panel and in the process just cut through the seatbelt. The trim panel for the liftgate was not stolen, but lost. How DO you lose that anyway?

So I figured I can replace all that crap. Replace the broken passenger side mirror, broken rear tail light, remove the stickers, and gradually turn it into a nice XJ again. Hopefully I could find a '97+ XJ that someone was parting out and I could get the interior peices from them. That was the plan anyway.

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2010, 09:46 PM   #2
pyrotyro
1998 XJ Cherokee 

looks like an interesting project! why doesnt the son get a lifted xj? let me tell you, the ladies love a lifted xj

My youtube channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/MRpyrotyro
pyrotyro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2010, 09:47 PM   #3
gixxerphil

2002 TJ Wrangler 

(comments deleted)
To the OP can't wait to see how this turns out. good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantrider View Post
can you get a good pic of your muff set up ?
gixxerphil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2010, 10:12 PM   #4
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricsXJ View Post
So the dreaded day has come. My son turned 15 and 1/2 and got his driving permit.

So I figured I can replace all that crap. Replace the broken passenger side mirror, broken rear tail light, remove the stickers, and gradually turn it into a nice XJ again. Hopefully I could find a '97+ XJ that someone was parting out and I could get the interior peices from them. That was the plan anyway.
Don't you mean, 'So I figured my son can get a job and get himself to the junkyard to find the missing parts, so he learns both how to work on his Jeep and to respect the value of paying his own way through life and putting his own efforts into his vehicles'?

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2010, 10:13 PM   #5
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

So mechanically it checked out on the test drive. Plenty of get up and go, steering good, brakes so-so but could be better, no driveline vibes, 4wd works, oil looked good, engine mounts good, etc. Underneath oil pan was wet, but what jeep doesn't leak a little oil, right? Transmission pan has small but noticeable dent, but otherwise doesn't look like it was tore up off-road.

They made it a point to tell me they just had the lower radiator hose replaced that morning... I made sure to ask if it had ever overheated and they said no. Overall a reliable vehicle, so they said.

When I went to pick it up they had a big file full of maintenance receipts, mostly from Jiffy-Lube type places. So I figured I guess this is a good sign that it was maintenanced, even if it was Jiffy-Lube.

So I get it home and I think it sat for a day or two and the next time I take it for a drive the check engine light comes on. WTF? Autozone tells me its a cylinder missfire. No problem - we replaced the plugs and fixed that.

Then the next day I notice coolant under the jeep. hmmm.... they just replaced the lower radiator hose.... not a good sign. Turns out it was the water pump going out. They ended up spending $214.95 replacing a lower radiator hose, when that wasn't even the problem!!!

So I spent $120 and replaced:
water pump
thermostat
upper and lower radiator hoses
both heater hoses

I figured I may as well do those other things while I'm in there as preventative maintenance.

So then one night I had some time to sit down and go through the maintenance records. Other than regular maintenance type stuff I found there were some other problems:

check engine light (O2 sensor replaced) x2
check engine light (IAC motor replaced)
check engine light (NSS replaced)
door locks defective (door rods replaced)
rear brakes replaced due to damage
serp belt replaced twice
e-brake lever defective (replaced/repaired)
oil pan gasket leak (oil was two-quarts low!)
cracked exhaust manifold (replaced)

Funny they never mentioned any of that when I bought it, and that's why I tend not to like buying other people's used junk.

Hopefully a little TLC and it will be nice to us.

More to come...

Unread 11-20-2010, 10:17 PM   #6
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Glad to see you starting a thread for this Eric.
Oh and to give you a heads up, this rig wont be stock by the time your done with it no matter how much you want it to be :haha:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2010, 10:27 PM   #7
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrotyro View Post
looks like an interesting project! why doesnt the son get a lifted xj? let me tell you, the ladies love a lifted xj
Well I already have a lifted one, and honestly would like to have a stock one. Honestly I can't afford two lifted ones either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boodyrider
Don't you mean, 'So I figured my son can get a job and get himself to the junkyard to find the missing parts, so he learns both how to work on his Jeep and to respect the value of paying his own way through life and putting his own efforts into his vehicles'?
I appreciate the comment. Yes he is doing a lot of the work. He already removed most of the stickers from the body, which was no small task let me tell you! He wants to keep the Transformers one over the gas door and that's okay. He replaced the rear tail light (I provided the spare). He also got his hands dirty with replacing the spark plugs and water pump repair. This will be a learning project for him - but we will be doing it together. But since I will be driving it a lot too, especially over the winter, I don't expect him to fund the repairs at this point. But he will be putting in the hours with me.

Unread 11-20-2010, 10:47 PM   #8
lk123
1993 XJ Cherokee 

nice. lol i would so put that vial/beeker graphic on mine
93 2wd pos xj sport *sold*
89 nissan 240sx *wrecked*-03 Cbr954rr *traded*
2nd 89 nissan 240sx *sold*
lk123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2010, 12:56 AM   #9
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

check engine light (O2 sensor replaced) x2
check engine light (IAC motor replaced)
check engine light (NSS replaced)
door locks defective (door rods replaced)
rear brakes replaced due to damage
serp belt replaced twice
e-brake lever defective (replaced/repaired)
oil pan gasket leak (oil was two-quarts low!)
cracked exhaust manifold (replaced)

Most of these look like either maintenence or incompetent diagnosis. I wonder how many of the check engine lights were really due to the cracked manifold? Cracked exhaust manifold.... heck, if it didn't have that, it might not really be a 4.0!!!!

And glad to see the next generation learning it 'right'... I strongly feel if you want to own an offroad vehicle and take it offroad... you better know how to turn your wrenches, since the mechanic's shop ain't gonna come to you!

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2010, 09:33 AM   #10
jeepkid03
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Looks like a good project, good call on getting your son an XJ as a first vehicle. I think all those stickers on the sides make for a good excuse to give it an awesome paint job.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2010, 10:08 AM   #11
Curt41
2001 XJ Cherokee 

The interior reminds me of the Nintendo Wii...

Check out my build thread

Survivalist Jeep #6

Rusty's 3in Full leaf pack, JKS quicker discos, rear sway bar gone, Carr light bar with 4 KC 6x9's, C4x4 Tow Hooks, Flowmaster Super 44 Off Road Muffler, 31x10.50 Goodyear Dura-Tracs

Looking for a set of pre-96 XJ front bumper endcaps
Curt41 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2010, 10:12 AM   #12
FairlanePhil
1999 XJ Cherokee 

so would a 97 have that steering wheel VS the later one?

PS I woulda bought it too, but then I am an optimist
FairlanePhil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2010, 12:04 PM   #13
jeepkid03
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt41 View Post
The interior reminds me of the Nintendo Wii...
Thats so true.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2010, 03:25 PM   #14
mtb_crzd47
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricsXJ View Post
But since I will be driving it a lot too, especially over the winter, I don't expect him to fund the repairs at this point. But he will be putting in the hours with me.
Wow, I wish my dad had this mentality, but I think he is still a little afraid of my xj haha. He did teach me almost everything I know about cars though (I'm 18 now) so I'm not afraid to take a wrench to my jeep
mtb_crzd47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2010, 07:49 PM   #15
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Here's the "TwoFerOne" part...

I found another XJ. This one was totalled in a wreck and the owner didn't want to part it out so I bought the whole thing for $500.

This one is also a '97 with manual windows so the door panels will be a direct swap. The kicker is the interior is tan and black, instead of agate (gray) that ours is. But we can swap everything from the carpet to the headliner. There might be some other parts we can use too, like the side mirror and stereo. The tires are brand new but are 30 X 9.50's. Not sure yet if the tire on the damaged side is still good or not.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.