post #586 of 734 Old 08-29-2013, 10:08 AM
OldPioneer
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelinCowboy View Post
That looks like a grand cherokee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
I actually love this about XJs because I'm so tall. It's rare I have enough leg room in newer vehicles because the damn door panels along with the bulky consoles kill any room in the leg wells.
I have to disagree... I;m 6'2" and find the cockpit rather confining, especially compared to the Grand Cherokee I owned. In fact, one of the first things I did to my XJ was modify the driver seat mounting to give me an extra 2-3" of leg room. I also find the ceiling height annoying, I'd love to have an extra 2" or so added to the cab height, I'm always smacking the bill of my hat on the ceiling. I've never found door panel pocket bothersome, though in the XJ (with the 5 speed) I feel the foot controls are too spread out. I cant stretch my leg all the way out on the clutch side. I think down the road I might try adjusting them all towards the passenger side a little to give my some foot room next to the clutch.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #587 of 734 Old 08-29-2013, 02:00 PM
bobthecatkiller
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I find it odd how many tall people have problems with the xj.
I'm 6,2 and I have never hit my head getting in or out, in fact Iv never really had a problem with space and I'm coming from a zj.

"****, I might **** around and bring the Jeep back No doors on it, flexin' with the seat back"
post #588 of 734 Old 08-29-2013, 02:13 PM
WheelinCowboy
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthecatkiller View Post
I find it odd how many tall people have problems with the xj.
I'm 6,2 and I have never hit my head getting in or out, in fact Iv never really had a problem with space and I'm coming from a zj.
I'm 6'4" and the only issue i have in my xj is not being able to fully extend my legs on long road trips but other than that it's great

1989 Cherokee (XJ) I6 4DR 4X4 Stock... for now
2002 Grand Cherokee Overland- Blown Motor *SOLD*
post #589 of 734 Old 08-29-2013, 09:01 PM
IDIdiesel
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelinCowboy View Post
I'm 6'4" and the only issue i have in my xj is not being able to fully extend my legs on long road trips but other than that it's great
Agrreed!! Also hate being tall and sticking my head out the window wheeling and hitting my neck if I bounce. Removing the carpet gained me 1" of height and 1" more leg room!!!! Still hit my hat though

2015 Ford F350 crew cab, gasser
2001 Cherokee sport "AGENT ORANGE"
1991 Ford 7.3L IDI- FOR SALE
post #590 of 734 Old 08-29-2013, 09:17 PM
Motorcharge
Bandeded

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPioneer View Post
I have to disagree... I;m 6'2" and find the cockpit rather confining, especially compared to the Grand Cherokee I owned. In fact, one of the first things I did to my XJ was modify the driver seat mounting to give me an extra 2-3" of leg room. I also find the ceiling height annoying, I'd love to have an extra 2" or so added to the cab height, I'm always smacking the bill of my hat on the ceiling. I've never found door panel pocket bothersome, though in the XJ (with the 5 speed) I feel the foot controls are too spread out. I cant stretch my leg all the way out on the clutch side. I think down the road I might try adjusting them all towards the passenger side a little to give my some foot room next to the clutch.
I meant compared to how an XJ would be with door pockets not in general. My left leg is jammed up against my door as it is. I've never been in a 97+ though, but from pics they seem like they're more cramped than older XJs.

And yeah, I have the same problem with the roof which is why I don't have a headliner anymore. Makes a big difference.

|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|SOLD|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| June 2015 COTM |

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
post #591 of 734 Old 09-22-2013, 08:54 PM
LukeADukes
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Pulled my headliner down today. Took away my misplaced exterior pics.

Last edited by LukeADukes; 09-23-2013 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Took away my misplaced exterior pics.
post #592 of 734 Old 09-22-2013, 09:22 PM
Motorcharge
Bandeded

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeADukes View Post

I sanded and sprayed my stock wheels. Also did the trim and plastic bumpers black. Came out sharp! Pulled my headliner down today too.
Those aren't interior.

|
|
|SOLD|
| June 2015 COTM |

Quote:
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
post #593 of 734 Old 09-22-2013, 09:33 PM
LukeADukes
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Just realized what I was posting in.... bollocks
post #594 of 734 Old 09-22-2013, 09:34 PM
Motorcharge
Bandeded

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeADukes View Post
Just realized what I was posting in.... bollocks

|
|
|SOLD|
| June 2015 COTM |

Quote:
post #595 of 734 Old 09-22-2013, 09:53 PM
macklamar
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I posted this in another thread a while ago but this seems like a good place for it too...

I made cup holders for me pre '97 xj. I would have just bought the mopar ones but I didn't like how much they interfered with the passengers leg room.
Attached Images

post #596 of 734 Old 09-24-2013, 11:39 AM
commander0374
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Got some steel wheels off a friend for $80 w/ tires. New paint job and here we are!

Name:  image-2255005596.jpg
Views: 832
Size:  525.6 KB
post #597 of 734 Old 09-25-2013, 08:49 AM
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by commander0374 View Post
Got some steel wheels off a friend for $80 w/ tires. New paint job and here we are!
Cool, I should do that to my INTERIOR

D3<!L!>3D
post #598 of 734 Old 09-25-2013, 09:00 AM
commander0374
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8
Cool, I should do that to my INTERIOR
Wow. I feel like an idiot. I actually meant to post pictures of the inside. The wheels color scheme match the grill, some details under the hood, and my center dash console
post #599 of 734 Old 09-25-2013, 09:11 AM
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by commander0374 View Post

Wow. I feel like an idiot. I actually meant to post pictures of the inside. The wheels color scheme match the grill, some details under the hood, and my center dash console
I's just jokin'! Looks good. I'm not a fan of "all black", but when the paint has a nice shine to it, thumbs up!!

D3<!L!>3D
post #600 of 734 Old 09-25-2013, 09:35 AM
dagr8tim
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Here's the long list of my interior mods.

Original interior was tan and reeked of smoke. I replaced the carpet, seats, & center console.

Mag Light Mount

Turned the cubby hole into a storage bin.

Some flat stock that mounts under the visor clips. Originally I was going to mount a CB up there. I've been thinking of bending up some sheet metal and making a box to hold some switches.

The gray seats and carpet looked out of place with the rest of the plastic trim. I swapped the lower dash trim to get gray.

Upgraded to gray lighted visors.

Swapped out the rear door glass and the quarter glass for tinted glass.

Painted the glove box handle to get rid of the tan.

NOS Mopar Cargo Net

New Headliner Material

Upgraded to Leather Seats

Picked up a spare set of doors with gray door panels to replace the tan panels. I also have a gray rear hatch trim & gray grab bars to replace the tan trim.

I also have a spare sound bar from my 98 XJ. Plans are to mount that to the roof where the dome light is and wire the speakers to the door speakers. That way I still have 4 speakers when I go doorless.

Jeeping - The art of getting dirty & going broke while slowly heading nowhere, and taking all day to do it.

97 XJ SE - The War Wagon
98 TJ - Mall Crawler/Light Trail Rig

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.