XJ Interior Mods? Whatcha got? - Page 40 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > XJ Interior Mods? Whatcha got?

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 08-29-2013, 09:08 AM   #586
OldPioneer
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelinCowboy View Post
That looks like a grand cherokee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
I actually love this about XJs because I'm so tall. It's rare I have enough leg room in newer vehicles because the damn door panels along with the bulky consoles kill any room in the leg wells.
I have to disagree... I;m 6'2" and find the cockpit rather confining, especially compared to the Grand Cherokee I owned. In fact, one of the first things I did to my XJ was modify the driver seat mounting to give me an extra 2-3" of leg room. I also find the ceiling height annoying, I'd love to have an extra 2" or so added to the cab height, I'm always smacking the bill of my hat on the ceiling. I've never found door panel pocket bothersome, though in the XJ (with the 5 speed) I feel the foot controls are too spread out. I cant stretch my leg all the way out on the clutch side. I think down the road I might try adjusting them all towards the passenger side a little to give my some foot room next to the clutch.

OldPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 01:00 PM   #587
bobthecatkiller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I find it odd how many tall people have problems with the xj.
I'm 6,2 and I have never hit my head getting in or out, in fact Iv never really had a problem with space and I'm coming from a zj.
me: yaaaaa.
bobthecatkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 01:13 PM   #588
WheelinCowboy
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthecatkiller View Post
I find it odd how many tall people have problems with the xj.
I'm 6,2 and I have never hit my head getting in or out, in fact Iv never really had a problem with space and I'm coming from a zj.
I'm 6'4" and the only issue i have in my xj is not being able to fully extend my legs on long road trips but other than that it's great
Unread 08-29-2013, 08:01 PM   #589
IDIdiesel
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelinCowboy View Post
I'm 6'4" and the only issue i have in my xj is not being able to fully extend my legs on long road trips but other than that it's great
Agrreed!! Also hate being tall and sticking my head out the window wheeling and hitting my neck if I bounce. Removing the carpet gained me 1" of height and 1" more leg room!!!! Still hit my hat though
IDIdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 08:17 PM   #590
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPioneer View Post
I have to disagree... I;m 6'2" and find the cockpit rather confining, especially compared to the Grand Cherokee I owned. In fact, one of the first things I did to my XJ was modify the driver seat mounting to give me an extra 2-3" of leg room. I also find the ceiling height annoying, I'd love to have an extra 2" or so added to the cab height, I'm always smacking the bill of my hat on the ceiling. I've never found door panel pocket bothersome, though in the XJ (with the 5 speed) I feel the foot controls are too spread out. I cant stretch my leg all the way out on the clutch side. I think down the road I might try adjusting them all towards the passenger side a little to give my some foot room next to the clutch.
I meant compared to how an XJ would be with door pockets not in general. My left leg is jammed up against my door as it is. I've never been in a 97+ though, but from pics they seem like they're more cramped than older XJs.

And yeah, I have the same problem with the roof which is why I don't have a headliner anymore. Makes a big difference.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 07:54 PM   #591
LukeADukes
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Pulled my headliner down today. Took away my misplaced exterior pics.

Last edited by LukeADukes; 09-22-2013 at 11:10 PM.. Reason: Took away my misplaced exterior pics.
LukeADukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 08:22 PM   #592
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeADukes View Post

I sanded and sprayed my stock wheels. Also did the trim and plastic bumpers black. Came out sharp! Pulled my headliner down today too.
Those aren't interior.

Unread 09-22-2013, 08:33 PM   #593
LukeADukes
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Just realized what I was posting in.... bollocks
LukeADukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 08:34 PM   #594
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeADukes View Post
Just realized what I was posting in.... bollocks

Unread 09-22-2013, 08:53 PM   #595
macklamar
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I posted this in another thread a while ago but this seems like a good place for it too...

I made cup holders for me pre '97 xj. I would have just bought the mopar ones but I didn't like how much they interfered with the passengers leg room.
image-1797080202.jpg

image-3239460944.jpg

macklamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #596
commander0374
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Got some steel wheels off a friend for $80 w/ tires. New paint job and here we are!

image-2255005596.jpg
commander0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2013, 07:49 AM   #597
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by commander0374 View Post
Got some steel wheels off a friend for $80 w/ tires. New paint job and here we are!
Cool, I should do that to my INTERIOR
Unread 09-25-2013, 08:00 AM   #598
commander0374
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8
Cool, I should do that to my INTERIOR
Wow. I feel like an idiot. I actually meant to post pictures of the inside. The wheels color scheme match the grill, some details under the hood, and my center dash console
commander0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2013, 08:11 AM   #599
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by commander0374 View Post

Wow. I feel like an idiot. I actually meant to post pictures of the inside. The wheels color scheme match the grill, some details under the hood, and my center dash console
I's just jokin'! Looks good. I'm not a fan of "all black", but when the paint has a nice shine to it, thumbs up!!
Unread 09-25-2013, 08:35 AM   #600
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Here's the long list of my interior mods.

Original interior was tan and reeked of smoke. I replaced the carpet, seats, & center console.

Mag Light Mount

Turned the cubby hole into a storage bin.

Some flat stock that mounts under the visor clips. Originally I was going to mount a CB up there. I've been thinking of bending up some sheet metal and making a box to hold some switches.

The gray seats and carpet looked out of place with the rest of the plastic trim. I swapped the lower dash trim to get gray.

Upgraded to gray lighted visors.

Swapped out the rear door glass and the quarter glass for tinted glass.

Painted the glove box handle to get rid of the tan.

NOS Mopar Cargo Net

New Headliner Material

Upgraded to Leather Seats

Picked up a spare set of doors with gray door panels to replace the tan panels. I also have a gray rear hatch trim & gray grab bars to replace the tan trim.

I also have a spare sound bar from my 98 XJ. Plans are to mount that to the roof where the dome light is and wire the speakers to the door speakers. That way I still have 4 speakers when I go doorless.

97 XJ SE - DD/Light Trail Rig - The War Wagon
75 CJ5 with a badly chopped CJ7 Tub - Pandora
96 Land Rover Discovery - Black Dog; possible trail toy
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.