XJ Interior Mods? Whatcha got? - Page 39 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > XJ Interior Mods? Whatcha got?

New Product Release: Flowmaster Force II Dual Tailpipe AxlNew Product Release: Flowmaster Force II Dual Tailpipe AxlUSA Made JK Rear Axles!!! Revolution Gear and Axle

Unread 08-28-2013, 09:15 AM   #571
No4x4Yet
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPioneer View Post
Yes, obviously removing the passenger airbag would reduce the protection of a passenger in the event of a collision that would have resulted in the deployment of the airbag...

And I feel like these initial responses are a little over the top? Were all jeeps made before the mid nineties devoid of passenger (and driver) airbags? We all lived through those years, and still drive (and love) those rigs...
I never drove pre-airbags and the are prolly one on the best safety innovations. If its a trail rigs its on thing but for a Jeep your gonna street dont do it. Your not gonna gain much storage anyway.

No4x4Yet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 09:22 AM   #572
crockett07
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by No4x4Yet

I never drove pre-airbags and the are prolly one on the best safety innovations. If its a trail rigs its on thing but for a Jeep your gonna street dont do it. Your not gonna gain much storage anyway.
I've never has a vehicle with airbags and I'm afraid that I may die any day now.
crockett07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 09:51 AM   #573
Zooshoveller
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPioneer

Yes, obviously removing the passenger airbag would reduce the protection of a passenger in the event of a collision that would have resulted in the deployment of the airbag...

And I feel like these initial responses are a little over the top? Were all jeeps made before the mid nineties devoid of passenger (and driver) airbags? We all lived through those years, and still drive (and love) those rigs...
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/adap...e_ask_Ques.htm

"... prohibited from knowingly "making inoperative" any part of a device or element of design that has been installed on or in a motor vehicle in compliance with a Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS). Examples of such modifications include removing airbags..."

And many (most/all?) insurance companies will not pay out and some have refused to continue coverage if an airbag has been removed or disabled.

Feel free to make a bigger glove box. My suggestions are just to CYA.
Zooshoveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 12:03 PM   #574
OldPioneer
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooshoveller View Post
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/adap...e_ask_Ques.htm

"... prohibited from knowingly "making inoperative" any part of a device or element of design that has been installed on or in a motor vehicle in compliance with a Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS). Examples of such modifications include removing airbags..."

And many (most/all?) insurance companies will not pay out and some have refused to continue coverage if an airbag has been removed or disabled.

Feel free to make a bigger glove box. My suggestions are just to CYA.
That there is a good point. And, I wont argue with the fact that airbags are one of the best safety features to be introduced into vehicles. I don't plan plan on removing mine. I simply saw that big panel that covers the airbag, and was wondering if anyone had altered it into a storage space.
Cheers!
OldPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #575
Zooshoveller
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPioneer

That there is a good point. And, I wont argue with the fact that airbags are one of the best safety features to be introduced into vehicles. I don't plan plan on removing mine. I simply saw that big panel that covers the airbag, and was wondering if anyone had altered it into a storage space.
Cheers!
Wouldn't it be nice? I have an 88 and just got a 97. I was thrilled with the cup holders and then I realized - Where does all my little crap go?! Jeep underestimated the importance of the catch-all areas in the late models.
Zooshoveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 06:54 PM   #576
OldPioneer
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooshoveller View Post
Wouldn't it be nice? I have an 88 and just got a 97. I was thrilled with the cup holders and then I realized - Where does all my little crap go?! Jeep underestimated the importance of the catch-all areas in the late models.
YES YES YES!!! My feelings exactly. I have a '99 and I do love the cup holders. But the catch all space in the thing really is abysmal, and I love my catch all space. both the glove box and center console box provide a laughable amount of space, and the lack of pockets on the door panels is disappointing. Is there an aftermarket door panel you can buy that has pocket on it? Oh, and how about some kangaroo style pockets on the backs of the seats too?
OldPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 06:59 PM   #577
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

New airbags are a great safety feature, old airbags not so much. When airbags came out they were fairly dangerous and the airbag technology even in newer XJs is 20 year old technology.

The NHTSA is a joke anyway.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 07:01 PM   #578
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPioneer View Post
lack of pockets on the door panels is disappointing. Is there an aftermarket door panel you can buy that has pocket on it? Oh, and how about some kangaroo style pockets on the backs of the seats too?
I actually love this about XJs because I'm so tall. It's rare I have enough leg room in newer vehicles because the damn door panels along with the bulky consoles kill any room in the leg wells.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 09:29 PM   #579
XJmike0122
2001 XJ Cherokee 

XJmike0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 10:22 PM   #580
WheelinCowboy
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJmike0122 View Post
That looks like a grand cherokee?
Unread 08-29-2013, 12:17 AM   #581
XJmike0122
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelinCowboy View Post
That looks like a grand cherokee?
The pic said XJ Limited.
XJmike0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 06:08 AM   #582
CRider74
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
New airbags are a great safety feature, old airbags not so much. When airbags came out they were fairly dangerous and the airbag technology even in newer XJs is 20 year old technology.

The NHTSA is a joke anyway.
This. Early gen airbags were more dangerous & costly than life-saving. I saw plenty of them go off and hurt the victim more than they were already hurt in situations where an airbag was even necessary, plus the cost to replace them (if the vehicle isn't totaled of course) is/was ridiculous. I'd take mine out of my 96 (only has driver's side) if I could get inspected without it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
I actually love this about XJs because I'm so tall. It's rare I have enough leg room in newer vehicles because the damn door panels along with the bulky consoles kill any room in the leg wells.
Being 6'2", I agree completely. Yes, I'd like more storage room, and I'm working on a few ideas that might maybe work...but it won't be on the doors.
Unread 08-29-2013, 07:28 AM   #583
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

On the issue of airbags... I just realized, 4 months after the accident, my airbag in my steering wheel never deployed.
Unread 08-29-2013, 07:45 AM   #584
WheelinCowboy
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJmike0122 View Post

The pic said XJ Limited.
Sorry. Can't see that on the forum app
Unread 08-29-2013, 07:55 AM   #585
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Dressed up my interior with speaker box carpet.
2013-07-13_14-09-05_10-1.jpg

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.