XJ Interior Mods? Whatcha got? - Page 35 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > XJ Interior Mods? Whatcha got?

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 09-07-2012, 04:16 AM   #511
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_TJ View Post
chris87xj this is one mod I've been thinking about for a while but haven't been able to pull the trigger. Mainly because I've never seen anyone else do it and put anything on the net about it.

How hard was it? Would you do it again? Changes you would make?
the steering wheel? - purely bolt on, quick and easy. I don't think it gets much easier than on an older model without airbag or electronic steering wheel controls.
I'll rate it towards the top on the list of my mods with best return for the $ and effort as far as actually drivability. Bigger tires bring on more steering wheel action which can get to be a lot of arms flinging around lol. The smaller wheel keeps all the action tighter, closer, faster; more in control. I was worried I'd give up so much leverage from the larger wheel that turning the tires would be difficult, but not the case. Stock power steering provides adequate power and this wheel is really grippy in hand. It gives me much better/tighter control on and off road.
The added bonus for me with my long legs is that it gives quite a bit more clearance when jumping in and out. Might be good for beer bellies too.
I don't think you'd regret it.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009

Vote for the Jurassic July Cherokee Of The Month!!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2012, 04:43 AM   #512
loki_TJ
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the reply. One more question, is it quick release?

Well there goes my "work" day. I'll be shopping steering wheels of hours now.
Unread 09-07-2012, 04:53 AM   #513
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

no, that would only get me in trouble when my mates pranked me by releasing it every time I wasn't looking.
I'm a skinny guy so wouldn't have much use for a release.

COTY 2009

Unread 09-07-2012, 04:59 AM   #514
loki_TJ
1991 XJ Cherokee 

My jeep is a little out of place where I live, so I'm slightly nervous about theft. I chain the steering wheel to the seat riser when it's not parked on my gated property. The removable steering wheel would be a way to stop people from liberating my jeep from me.
Unread 09-07-2012, 05:55 AM   #515
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

ah that makes sense. I'm having trouble imagining a quick release mechanism that would mate well with the factory column. Maybe a bolt-on quick release connector that stayed on the column for the wheel to slip off of. I'd have to laugh at anyone trying to drive it off with a giant pair of visegrips on the shaft.

Just checked out your build thread and now understand the concern. I feel the same way at times and have taken steps to really slow down anyone with nefarious intentions. Nice work on the XJ.

COTY 2009

Unread 09-07-2012, 06:09 AM   #516
loki_TJ
1991 XJ Cherokee 

These are the ones I have been eyeballing: http://new.getnrg.com/products/quick-release My wife calls it making love with Jeep parts, I call it window shopping.
Unread 09-08-2012, 11:14 PM   #517
crockett07
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskeenan View Post
I give you the I-like-being-doorless-in-my-XJ-but-I-also-like-my-front-speakers soundbar and switch panel

And red LED gauge lighting
i have to have this. any moe details on it?
crockett07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2012, 01:53 PM   #518
weboneando
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_TJ View Post
My jeep is a little out of place where I live, so I'm slightly nervous about theft. I chain the steering wheel to the seat riser when it's not parked on my gated property. The removable steering wheel would be a way to stop people from liberating my jeep from me.
Have you considered other options? I have one of these installed in mine:

http://www.mul-t-lock-online.com/sto...product_id=222
weboneando is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2012, 04:49 PM   #519
hawaii
2001 XJ Cherokee 

More details on the front sound bar. Now.
hawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2012, 04:57 PM   #520
RobbSnead

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockett07

How did you do all that?lol I want mine like that.
RobbSnead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2012, 08:37 AM   #521
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockett07 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaii View Post
More details on the front sound bar. Now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbSnead View Post
How did you do all that?lol I want mine like that.
Its the rear sound bar out of a pre-97 XJ, fiber-glassed to the headliner board, then covered in foam backed fabric.

The speakers are standard depth infinity 6.5in 2-ways with polyfill inside the cavity.

The switches are running a 10 circuit relay box mounted under the passenger seat via two cat5 cables, the second switch panel hasn't been built yet but goes where the passenger side aluminum cover plate is, the wires are already ran to it.

The key switch allows for the switched devices to run either on accessory power (only while the engine is running) in the right position, or run from the battery (anytime) in the left position, or be locked out entirely by removing the key in the off/center position, the key is only removable in the off/center position.

The red LED gauge cluster lights are #74 LED drop-ins, from SuperBrightLEDs.com, theses specificaly, you'll need 5 total to do the gauges. The stock dome light also has an LED in it, this one, with wire leads soldered to the pins to attach to the OEM connections.

The sound bar was done so i'd have music while the doors are off, and to give an overhead mounting area for switches, it works well for that. Car audio snobs will say the imaging sucks, which it does, but for 99% of the people that doesn't matter or they don't know why it matters, its a loud door-less XJ not a movie theater.

Some people also hit their heads on the bar while getting in the vehicle, once they remember its there the problem fixes itself. I'm 6'1" and have no issues with hitting my head while driving or getting in and out.
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2012, 07:48 PM   #522
crockett07
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskeenan View Post
Its the rear sound bar out of a pre-97 XJ, fiber-glassed to the headliner board, then covered in foam backed fabric.

The speakers are standard depth infinity 6.5in 2-ways with polyfill inside the cavity.

The switches are running a 10 circuit relay box mounted under the passenger seat via two cat5 cables, the second switch panel hasn't been built yet but goes where the passenger side aluminum cover plate is, the wires are already ran to it.

The key switch allows for the switched devices to run either on accessory power (only while the engine is running) in the right position, or run from the battery (anytime) in the left position, or be locked out entirely by removing the key in the off/center position, the key is only removable in the off/center position.

The red LED gauge cluster lights are #74 LED drop-ins, from SuperBrightLEDs.com, theses specificaly, you'll need 5 total to do the gauges. The stock dome light also has an LED in it, this one, with wire leads soldered to the pins to attach to the OEM connections.

The sound bar was done so i'd have music while the doors are off, and to give an overhead mounting area for switches, it works well for that. Car audio snobs will say the imaging sucks, which it does, but for 99% of the people that doesn't matter or they don't know why it matters, its a loud door-less XJ not a movie theater.

Some people also hit their heads on the bar while getting in the vehicle, once they remember its there the problem fixes itself. I'm 6'1" and have no issues with hitting my head while driving or getting in and out.
thanks alot man
Unread 09-11-2012, 08:30 PM   #523
ScottD16
1996 XJ Cherokee 

The most recent interior mod
[B][U][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Yellow"]JEEP BUILD[/COLOR][/SIZE][/U][/B] better late than never [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/yellow-submarine-build-1359779/"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/yellow-submarine-build-1359779/[/URL]

I like to do the photography [B][U][SIZE="4"]Flickr[/SIZE][/U][/B]- [URL="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dunklewunkle/"]http://www.flickr.com/photos/dunklewunkle/[/URL]

wheeling pictures and other random stuff [SIZE="4"][B][U]Photobucket[/U][/B][/SIZE] [URL="http://s884.photobucket.com/albums/ac44/scottad16/"]http://s884.photobucket.com/albums/ac44/scottad16/[/URL]
ScottD16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #524
DoctorTim
1996 XJ Cherokee 

96 XJ, geared, 8.8, 5", 33s, dash
DoctorTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #525
crockett07
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Sick

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.