XJ Interior Mods? Whatcha got? - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > XJ Interior Mods? Whatcha got?

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 01-12-2010, 05:37 PM   #181
konatown69
1999 XJ Cherokee 

unless you can find some xj switches at a JY, they run about $40 each, thats what it cost me to get a new one from ebay, you might just want to get some lighted toggles

1999 Cherokee Classic, 4.0, AW4, Np242 {HP30 & 8.8 4.56's & locked - build under construction}
konatown69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 05:41 PM   #182
JeepSpeed18
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Finished switch panel.

_\_/==== |; _\\ \\_|;
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_)

96 Jeep Cherokee 4" lift with 32" KM2's
94 Jeep Cherokee 3" lift with 29's!

JEEP Just Empty Every Pocket my life moto. :)

White Jeep Club Member #109

Jessie The Jeep (lots of pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircruiser View Post
But yeah my 4.0 has been hydrolocked twice, ran upside down for 7 seconds it still keeps coming back for more. its like that crazy ex-girlfriend that just wont quit..but unlike her, its a good thing haha
JeepSpeed18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 09:07 PM   #183
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_pedro View Post
I put the "Vehicle Information Center" from a ZJ below the heater controls (wiring is a b1tch), intending on putting accessory switches in front of my shifter where the little pocket is (the dash side) got the plate ready, but deciding on XJ oem fog light switches, or some lighted toggles.
Sounds kinda cool, I remember reading somewhere it just has a crap load of wires and when you ground each one, it causes a separate trigger on the evic. So how did you wire in the individual door sensors so that they still activated the dome lights on their own individual circuits? Otherwise it would just set off all the door open messages when one is open. Also, what about the low coolant message and oil pressure message? Does it even work when not connected to the PCI bus? I know on my ZJ it uses the bus to sync dates and times with the radios so theres some kind of data transfer, I'm not sure what else there was.

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 09:26 PM   #184
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I put the "Vehicle Information Center" from a ZJ below the heater controls (wiring is a b1tch), intending on putting accessory switches in front of my shifter where the little pocket is (the dash side) got the plate ready, but deciding on XJ oem fog light switches, or some lighted toggles.
how about some pics of what you've done?
koolaid5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2010, 08:01 PM   #185
el_pedro
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by compcrasher86 View Post
Sounds kinda cool, I remember reading somewhere it just has a crap load of wires and when you ground each one, it causes a separate trigger on the evic. So how did you wire in the individual door sensors so that they still activated the dome lights on their own individual circuits? Otherwise it would just set off all the door open messages when one is open. Also, what about the low coolant message and oil pressure message? Does it even work when not connected to the PCI bus? I know on my ZJ it uses the bus to sync dates and times with the radios so theres some kind of data transfer, I'm not sure what else there was.
The one I have is from an older ZJ so it doesn't access any data bus, the door sensors are a pain in the a$$ because on the ZJ it has a seperate set of sensors that go to the doors for the VIC, in my case I seperated the wiring by using a relay to actually turn on the dome lights, and ran some new wires from the door switches, so when you open the door, it grounds out the VIC's wire for that door, and there is a diode between there and the relay so that one door does not trigger all of the sensors, the tailgate had it's own wire at the security module so that one was easiest. as for the sensors, the coolant level sensor has to be used from a ZJ, and the Washer fluid sensor has to have it's signal inverted (when the coolant is low, it has to ground out the wire, not give it 12v) the VIC I have does not have the oil level sensor, because they removed that feature after '93. The only other things I have to still wire are: the wire that senses your signal is on when you are driving, and the rear "taillight out" module, IF I can be bothered to get one. (this was enough trouble)

and yes there are a LOT of wires, I kinda underestimated it, and already cut the hole, so I had to finish the project. If you like, i could draw up some schematics.

and a bonus of having the relay for the dome lights, they are brighter, and they don't dim or brighten when you open or close a door!

All the best

Last edited by el_pedro; 01-14-2010 at 08:17 PM..
el_pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2010, 08:14 PM   #186
el_pedro
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaid5 View Post
how about some pics of what you've done?
why, of course, I just had to get em off the other computer (these are cell phone pics, but I will take some better ones for ya guys

Here's It When I First Turned It on,

When I Hadn't figured out the washer sensor wiring,

In Part Time 4wd:

In Full Time 4wd:

man all that wiring made my head hurt lol
Unread 01-14-2010, 08:18 PM   #187
el_pedro
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by konatown69 View Post
unless you can find some xj switches at a JY, they run about $40 each, thats what it cost me to get a new one from ebay, you might just want to get some lighted toggles
Cheapy $6 Lighted toggles it is lol, I would like the "stock" look, but for $40 a piece, I can live without!

as for the JY, no junkyard around me even has a pre-97 XJ! it sucks.

actually after a quick check on ebay, i see a bunch of XJ Switches for $10 or less! I'll have to look into this

Last edited by el_pedro; 01-14-2010 at 08:29 PM.. Reason: additional info
Unread 01-14-2010, 08:29 PM   #188
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
The one I have is from an older ZJ so it doesn't access any data bus, the door sensors are a pain in the a$$ because on the ZJ it has a seperate set of sensors that go to the doors for the VIC, in my case I seperated the wiring by using a relay to actually turn on the dome lights, and ran some new wires from the door switches, so when you open the door, it grounds out the VIC's wire for that door, and there is a diode between there and the relay so that one door does not trigger all of the sensors, the tailgate had it's own wire at the security module so that one was easiest. as for the sensors, the coolant level sensor has to be used from a ZJ, and the Washer fluid sensor has to have it's signal inverted (when the coolant is low, it has to ground out the wire, not give it 12v) the VIC I have does not have the oil level sensor, because they removed that feature after '93. The only other things I have to still wire are: the wire that senses your signal is on when you are driving, and the rear "taillight out" module, IF I can be bothered to get one. (this was enough trouble)

and yes there are a LOT of wires, I kinda underestimated it, and already cut the hole, so I had to finish the project. If you like, i could draw up some schematics.

and a bonus of having the relay for the dome lights, they are brighter, and they don't dim or brighten when you open or close a door!

All the best
Sounds like a bunch of fun! No seriously though to me thats like giving a nerd a rubix cube haha I'm an electrical engineer so this stuff is second nature. If it gets brighter out or if you can get a better camera, take a picture of how its mounted in your Jeep. The only way I would ever CONSIDER doing this is if I could get it to blend in well. I kinda want it now though. Also, that relay thing for the lights is brilliant, I hate how my dome lights get brighter depending on how many doors you have open haha. Also, I didn't know the ZJs told you if you left your blinker on, I thought that was only the dubJ's? The rear light out sensor system is absolutely brilliant, I have no clue why they removed it from the WJs and the WKs. That was such a nice feature I will never ever get pulled over for a brake light in my ZJ. The one time I got pulled over for that in my XJ, I told the officer I had no clue and I showed him I had spares and a screwdriver in my glovebox and I told him I'd do it right on the spot, = no ticket.

Quote:

In Part Time 4wd:

man all that wiring made my head hurt lol
This is beautiful, how did you get this to work! I have the dash lights for the part time on my 231 but neither of them EVER turn on and I can't find a sensor on the Tcase or anything to determine whether its in 4wd or not. How does the Jeep know?

And for the coolant sensor, how did you go about mounting that?

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
Unread 01-14-2010, 08:42 PM   #189
el_pedro
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Sounds like a bunch of fun! No seriously though to me thats like giving a nerd a rubix cube haha I'm an electrical engineer so this stuff is second nature. If it gets brighter out or if you can get a better camera, take a picture of how its mounted in your Jeep. The only way I would ever CONSIDER doing this is if I could get it to blend in well. I kinda want it now though. Also, that relay thing for the lights is brilliant, I hate how my dome lights get brighter depending on how many doors you have open haha. Also, I didn't know the ZJs told you if you left your blinker on, I thought that was only the dubJ's? The rear light out sensor system is absolutely brilliant, I have no clue why they removed it from the WJs and the WKs. That was such a nice feature I will never ever get pulled over for a brake light in my ZJ. The one time I got pulled over for that in my XJ, I told the officer I had no clue and I showed him I had spares and a screwdriver in my glovebox and I told him I'd do it right on the spot, = no ticket.

This is beautiful, how did you get this to work! I have the dash lights for the part time on my 231 but neither of them EVER turn on and I can't find a sensor on the Tcase or anything to determine whether its in 4wd or not. How does the Jeep know?

And for the coolant sensor, how did you go about mounting that?
I have access to wiring diagrams for jeeps from '99 and older (computerized database :P) everything pretty much hooks right up with the exception of some sensors, and such. As for the coolant sensor, getting a ZJ coolant overflow bottle, or attaching the sensor will work. I didn't know about the blinker warning either until i was looking at the pinout and said what the he** i didn't know that! as for fitting in, it actually fits pretty well, it's just more a matter of me & mr. Hacksaw getting rid of extra plastic, and just Pushing it into place! tight fit, don't even need screws. The bezel needs the hole enlarged a bit, but other than that it fits well, and looks good!

I have a much better digicam I will get you some nice pictures of it.

as for those lights, check on your front axle, there is a switch mounted beside the "shift motor" only the 242 has the wires on the TC because the 231 doesn't have full time it does not need it, but check the switch on the front axle disconnect (if you have it), and keep in mind that the wire gets grounded when the jeep is in 4x4 mode so it might even be a bulb!

My next little interior mod projects should be interesting too, I want to put lights for the rear floor where the driver and passenger side seatbelt retractors are, a rechargable flashlight with charging base, and FRS radio with charging base. those are easy compared to the VIC wiring. and this: http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/...erseLights.htm I have wayyyy to much spare time, I just sit thinking of things to add lol.

Last edited by el_pedro; 01-14-2010 at 08:51 PM.. Reason: additional info
Unread 01-15-2010, 12:15 AM   #190
JeepSpeed18
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Can we see some datyime photo's of that. It looks awesome!
_\_/==== |; _\\ \\_|;
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_)

96 Jeep Cherokee 4" lift with 32" KM2's
94 Jeep Cherokee 3" lift with 29's!

JEEP Just Empty Every Pocket my life moto. :)

White Jeep Club Member #109

Jessie The Jeep (lots of pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircruiser View Post
But yeah my 4.0 has been hydrolocked twice, ran upside down for 7 seconds it still keeps coming back for more. its like that crazy ex-girlfriend that just wont quit..but unlike her, its a good thing haha
JeepSpeed18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2010, 07:42 AM   #191
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

That is very awesome. I've been working on diagnosing why the light doesnt work on my 231 but I can't really figure it out, its kind of weird theres no electrical anything connected to the tcase or axles theres just a speed sensor harness coming out of the joint area between rear driveshaft and the Tcase. Only thing coming out of the front diff is a rubber hose thats capped off in the engine bay right next to the master cylinder

Matt
Unread 01-16-2010, 11:10 AM   #192
el_pedro
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
That is very awesome. I've been working on diagnosing why the light doesnt work on my 231 but I can't really figure it out, its kind of weird theres no electrical anything connected to the tcase or axles theres just a speed sensor harness coming out of the joint area between rear driveshaft and the Tcase. Only thing coming out of the front diff is a rubber hose thats capped off in the engine bay right next to the master cylinder
that is weird, have you checked the bulb to make sure it works? it could be something as simple as that. I'll have a look through the service info i have and see if I can find out where the switch would be
Unread 01-16-2010, 11:18 AM   #193
el_pedro
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepSpeed18 View Post
Can we see some datyime photo's of that. It looks awesome!
My camera's batteries died but I did manage to get at least 1 good shot of it, more will come when I get the dang batteries replaced.

Here's a decent shot of it, the wire got knocked off for the washer fluid sensor when I was trying to neaten up wires under the dash, now i have to find it lol:

I just have to smooth out the edges of the bezel and shim the heater controls out a bit and it will be perfect

I think I might do a write-up on how to put one of those things in an XJ I just need some installation pics...

but overall I like it, I think it worked out pretty well
Unread 01-16-2010, 04:01 PM   #194
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

ahhh I wish it would be this easy on a 97-01 XJ, my dash is 100% different

Matt
Unread 01-16-2010, 06:50 PM   #195
el_pedro
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
ahhh I wish it would be this easy on a 97-01 XJ, my dash is 100% different
I see, I'm sure there is a way to do it without too much pain but tight be difficult

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.