Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

XJ Interior Mods? Whatcha got?

1M views 740 replies 268 participants last post by  TheBoogieman 
#1 ·
I'm curious to see what people have done to customize their XJ's interior. Things like toggle switches, gauges, etc. I know there is always someone who has painted their cluster bezel or covered it with carbon fiber or wood grain stickers, but I want to see functional things. Where do you put all your stuff? And a couple solid ideas about at least one cup holder would be cool. HAHA!

Let's see the tricks.:2thumbsup:

#397 ·
Insteresting I am doing it right now! I am using Universal Gauge Pillar Holders, one that has 3 spots to mount gauges and one that is a single. With a little work these two should fit. As for pics I dont have a few as of yet but I can get some up later today. I picked them up on Amazon but they can be picked up at Autozone.

#402 ·
Here is what I did, used a dremel cut out a small hole. and ran the plug to the cigarette lighter. I plugged my GPS and my under dash lights into it. Someday I'll just wire the under dash lights to a switch but until then I like this setup. The 3 plug unit you can get at walmart for like $8.

Attachments

#407 ·
Let's say you are climbing a steep logging hill and your 33" BFT loses traction and the rig goes rolling down the hill. The rear seat passengers can reach back and grab the bungies in order to secure themselves better in the vehicle.

No just kidding. Let's say you are hauling bicycles on a hitch mounted bike rack that you have to take the front wheels of the bikes off of in order to carry the bikes. You slide the loose front wheels up inside that bungie and it holds them fairly well and takes up less space than wheels laying flat.

There are probably other uses as well.

#417 ·
I painted part of the center of the dash blue, as well as the door handle rings.

I also just swapped a TJ gauge cluster into my XJ (white/blue instead of green/orange) and installed a brushed aluminum bezel.

I've also got blue LEDs for the gauges, switches, and shifters.

The last pic also shows my Scangauge II that I use monitor gas mileage and check/clear engine codes. It also has an accurate speedometer. It's kind of nice.

#418 ·
I painted part of the center of the dash blue, as well as the door handle rings.

I also just swapped a TJ gauge cluster into my XJ (white/blue instead of green/orange) and installed a brushed aluminum bezel.

:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

I've been wanting to do the painting thing that you did for a while, that looks great! What kind of paint did you use, and what did you have to do for prep? And how did you do the doors? Can you remove the ring to spray it or do you have to tape everything else off? When I do it I want to paint my cruise control things on the steering wheel too...

Gauges look sweet too...but I don't wanna swap and loose my mileage otherwise I'd be doing that too :(

#422 ·
Here is a few just got the quadratec mats for bday, switch is for kc spot beams I got at all breeds show, metal plate is to attach my iPod, the best one is Jenny my Hula girl

Attachments

#424 ·
MunkMaster said:
i have those floor matts i love them
I'm so excited to truck mud through them lol.

#428 ·
had my highlift on the back seat, nuts and bolts bolted to the seat, wingnuts to hold the highlift down.

but that made the backseat kind of heavy and anoying to fold up and down and got in the way of something im about to do in the cargo area..

so i used the stock tire mount instead. fliped the bracket on top of the jack to fit in the handle.

#435 ·
chriskeenan said:
nope, no write up yet, sorry.

But the sound bar is a rear sound bar out of a pre-96 XJ, its fiber glassed to the headliner board and then new headliner material laid over it. The speakers are standard depth infinity 6.5's, not the shallow mount ones.

The switches are connected to a relay box with 10 40amp relays under the passenger seat by two pieces of cat5 network cable. All the switches really do is trigger the relays under the seat so the small gauge cable is fine. The key switch allows all the switches to run under accessory power or battery power. With the key removed none of the switches work, this is to keep people for walking by and turning on all my lights and gear and running down the battery when the doors are off and its left unattended or if I let someone barrow the vehicle and they have no reason to operate the extra equipment.

It all works just like the SPOD system, but allows more circuits to be controlled and cost only about 120$ in parts, plus gives me the keyed lock out ability. Last i checked the SPOD cost like 500$
Where you from bro...if you don't mind me askin

#442 ·
I've got a few cargo nets in the back to hold longer tools that won't fit in the box. MUCH nicer than having my torque wrench bouncing around loose back there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.