Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

XJ Interior Mods? Whatcha got?

1M views 740 replies 268 participants last post by  TheBoogieman 
#1 ·
I'm curious to see what people have done to customize their XJ's interior. Things like toggle switches, gauges, etc. I know there is always someone who has painted their cluster bezel or covered it with carbon fiber or wood grain stickers, but I want to see functional things. Where do you put all your stuff? And a couple solid ideas about at least one cup holder would be cool. HAHA!

Let's see the tricks.:2thumbsup:

#4 ·
I built cup holders for my 93 XJ this past weekend. I dont have a center console at all.. I also didnt like all the usual places to mount CBs so I included it in the plans for the cup holders. It can hold 2 44oz fountain drinks without spilling at all and the CB is mounted right next to my hip, out of the way but still within easy access. I am going to do a slight design change though and then paint it. Will try to post pics when it's done... if it is worth showing.

#7 ·
#6 ·
Prerunner1982- Sounds pretty sweet! I would really like to see what you've got. I hope you can post pictures. That would be cool!

Vx1kxj- I like the CB in where the ash try was! That's about as clean as I've seen. And what's with the audio/video hook up in the cubby? Do you have a screen in there or is it just so you can throw a T.V. in the back and play games and watch DVD's?

I've got a few ideas of my own that will be in the making over the next couple weeks. I will be sure to post pictures up when I do those things...Thanks for sharing, keep em coming! With the limited space and the creative minds we XJers have, I'm very interested to see what kinds of Frankensteins have been created!

Cheers guys!

#17 ·
Prerunner1982- Sounds pretty sweet! I would

Vx1kxj- I like the CB in where the ash try was! That's about as clean as I've seen. And what's with the audio/video hook up in the cubby? Do you have a screen in there or is it just so you can throw a T.V. in the back and play games and watch DVD's?
yea the cb works great there and since i dont smoke i dont care lol. I got the power inverter from a friend and wired it from my foglight switch in the dash. I do alot of free lance videography and i film trail rides for the club im in so i can just draw power for my cameras from there. The av hoookups arent connected yet, but i have a sub going in that ill wire it too so i get nice sound quality when watching videos ect. :cheers2: :thumbsup:

#9 ·
Yeah, I did happen to stumble onto this through another post somewhere...
http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_nkwZcherokeeQ20cupQ20holderQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZR40QQ_mdoZ

I already ordered it. :-D
Them cup holders kinda suck. Don't really hold anything and it holds the stuff up so high.

Well haven't done a whole lot, but here's a list of what I've done so far:
*Installed 97-01 Center console (With real cup holders and better looks)
*Installed 97-01 Gear Shifter
*Added toggle switches on the ash tray for my lights (don't like em there at all, soon their going under the dash clock)
*Added the speaker box thing that goes on the roof in the back

Things that I am going to do this summer if money's right:
*All four doors off of a 97-01 Jeep (I like the door panels better and like the one piece windows in the front and mirrors)
*Some leather seats out of a ZJ
*Emergency Brake handle out of a 97-01 Cherokee
*Rhino the floors
*Install my CB whenever I can find a useful but out of the way spot for it
*I have some other ideas but I won't say them just yet until I do them

#35 ·
do u got a pic of this said center console??

#13 ·
that fire extinguisher in the hands of a professional can put out a fire in the engine bay provided it is not deeply rooted. That is the perfect size for a vehicle.

#19 ·
It pretty much is a direct bolt in with some modifications to the heat duct under it. Here's a list of what you need from the newer Jeep to do it:
*Center console
*Gear Shifter
*Emergency Brake Lever
*Heater duct under it

There gear shifter and emergency brake lever are direct bolt in's. The heater ducts you need to cut about 8 inches off the front of the newer one and about eight inches off the front of the older one and duct tape or melt the older front onto the newer duct and put the duct into place. Then the proper way to install the console would be to drill and mount the back bracket for the new console, but I didn't install the rear bracket because the front ones hold it down enough and it doesn't move. And that's it.

--------------------

I'm not to worried about the wiring as long as I can find a good diagram of what each wire goes to and well I'm doing it I might go ahead and make it so I can unhook the wires so I can go door less if I want to.

#21 ·
LED dash lights

Love the blue lighting... how hard was it to switch out the factory lights for the LED's? I have been contemplating the same mod as I have a Premier (Pioneer) head unit as well as a Tsunami Cap and love the blue lighting.

Any shots of the conversion, any parts that were hard to do, cutting etc? What lights did you use?

Thanks!!

Oh and I love the Husky Liners, just got a set a couple of weeks ago.

#16 ·
Interior mods to my '01:
- '98/'96 ZJ seats (still working on the 60/40 rear)
- Installed an overhead console, '98 XJ
--Most of my aux lighting switches are mounted in the overhead console with a fuse block
--Replaced the stock lighting in the console with LEDs (Cargo light too)
- Auto-dimming rear view mirror, '98 ZJ
- Replaced the stock stereo
- Rocklight switch mounted to the right of the instrument cluster
- Cargo net over cargo area, '97 ZJ
- Mounted 3-cell flashlight to the outside of the driver seat
- Fire ext. mounted in the rear cargo cubby
- Replaced stock footwell lights with 4" LED bars
- Mount 4" LED bars under driver/pass seat to light the rear footwells

Still planned:
- LED dash lighting
- Aux power plug or inverter mounted in cargo area
- Hurc the interior
- Pick and install a CB (maybe)
- Install padding at panel & dash mounts to silence any squeaks/rattles

I think thats it...

#25 ·
I've got:
- Pioneer Stereo with iPod hookup for listening/charging.
- iPod mount for the plastic area between my steering wheel and stereo.
- Maglite holder on the lower door sill on the driver side next to the seat.
- Rear tire cover from an Orvis edition Grand Cherokee (lots of pockets).
- Cobra 19 CB Radio under the steering column near the 4x4 lever.
- FitchVA's light switch box mounted above the rear view mirror.
- eBay cup holders to replace the crappy one on the side that falls off all the time.

Coming soon
- iPhone mount/charger/aux since my current setup doesn't work with my iPhone.
- Smittybilt G.E.A.R. seat covers front and back.
- Husky floor liners.
- Need to fix my dome lights...they stay on all the time so I pulled all the bulbs out.
- maybe LED backlighting for my gauges, dash.

#96 ·
I just got the ipod adapter/charger for my pioneer deck and can't seem to figure out where to attach the ground wire or the positive wire. Can you tell me where how you did it with yours?
thanks

#26 ·
Lets see..
FitchVA inspired switch box with tuned Uniden Pro520XL mounted underneath
Jensen (yeah I know but it works fine) in-dash DVD/GPS/Ipod Control

..and don't worry that rearview isn't mounted nearly as low as it looks in the pics, its maybe an inch lower than it would be stock visibility hasn't been affected for me.

Focal entry level components, possibly the best thing I've installed thus far :drool:

Viair 90P mounted under rear seat

Custom Cargo Box in the rear for a full tool set, hydraulic jack, spare parts, spare clothes, etc etc. Also has a dual 10" enclosure incorporated into it.

Cheap fogs installed onto hatch lid to shine into rear enclosure area or to sides of jeep (positionable)

Also have a mag mounted on the side of my console up front, some Michelin rubber floor mats, ipod mounted inside center console, one amp under rear seat, one in storage box... I think thats about it.

Now for what I need a new headliner and some seatcovers!

#28 ·
Thanks it was a fun project and it would not have turned out so nice had I not had a engineer helping me (my dad). It is a tight fit too, it was actually assembled inside the jeep and won't move unless it is dissasembled. In hindsight if I were to do it again I would have made one of the openings big enough to drop in a cooler, and also think it would be cool to have a table underneath the entire thing that comes out and is supported by several slides. I just don't know how much weight something like that could support, who knows maybe I will get around to it one of these days...

#31 ·
well i
-bedlined the interior
-swapped out the dummy fuel gauge for a factory tach
-put in a sunroof
-moved my door and window switches to the dash. (less wiring to mess with when removing doors
-added a center console (factory)
-drain holes
-fuel pump kill switch

#32 ·
I picked up some gauges for the Jeep since I have the dummy cluster and I thought a couple gauges could help me out in the engine monitoring department. I plan on fabbing a pod for the front cubby pocket in the console. I also grabbed some fog lights and I plan on mounting the switch on the panel to the right of the cluster below the clock spot. When I get them all installed (someday) I'll throw some pics up here.:thumbsup:

#33 ·
on my 96, notched the dashboard faceplate where the filler panel is between the instrument cluster and the stereo/HVAC controls are at on the bottom. Installed second cigarette lighter plug under the dash, put velcro on the back of my ipod touch and on the filler panel, and ran my wires behind the dash. Perfect sized spot for Ipod touch. plus no messy wires and frees up my lighter for other uses. Next week, install extra power outlet in the cubby space under the glove box. Perfect spot for charging cell phones/bluetooth/anything else.

#34 ·
Hey anyone tried removing the cubby right below the ashtray and in front the of the shifter to mount a CB there???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.