Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

XJ Interior Mods? Whatcha got?

1M views 740 replies 268 participants last post by  TheBoogieman 
#1 ·
I'm curious to see what people have done to customize their XJ's interior. Things like toggle switches, gauges, etc. I know there is always someone who has painted their cluster bezel or covered it with carbon fiber or wood grain stickers, but I want to see functional things. Where do you put all your stuff? And a couple solid ideas about at least one cup holder would be cool. HAHA!

Let's see the tricks.:2thumbsup:

#81 ·
I mounted the heater controls under the glove box...you can just barely see the corner of it in the last picture. I used two L brackets and screwed it into the steal under the dash.

The monitor was a fully functioning computer, it was connected to a laptop mounted on the side of the passenger seat. It played dvds, music (through windows media player), ran a copy of microsofts streets and trips with GPS, and also surfed the internet.

I am currently attempting to swap the full interior (including the dash, center console, headliner, seats and carpet) of a 99 cherokee into my 92. Has anyone tried this before? if so any advice?

#82 ·
no experience there personally, but i've "heard" someone has attempted to do it, and was a royal PITA, due to the fact just about every single thing is different, from the hvac ducting, to all the wirning harnesses, to the wires for the contollers, heat/ac on yours is controlled thorough a cable, where as the newer ones is electronic valve, your speedometer is cable, newer one is speed density( i believe) that and the fact that you can't just swap the dash plastics, cuz none of the stuff bolts up to one another, and on top of all that, the newer dashes stick OUT more, leaving you just a TAD less comfort room. Then you're left with all the wiring to rework for wipers, ecm, pcm, and windows, and mirrors.

I could be wrong, but that's what i've heard.

good work on the screen though. are you gonna make a custom cover to go over everything?? and if that's the case, then you don't really need the radio then, right??

#86 ·
fuel cut off switch I like that.
that is what Ill call it.
the PO couldnt get the fuel pump working without running a hot wire driectly to it. and there is a switch on the dash for it.
I'll take pics of my jeep but it was done not by me and I plan on changing a few things.so far I have 0 $$$ into it. got the xj for free. so I wont complain. alot of work but owell.once it warms up around here. it snowed lastnight.

#90 ·
Ok so I finally got around to taking pics of the unfinished cupholders...

They look pretty trashy compared to some of the other stuff in this thread...but oh well. They werent made to look pretty... they work damn good though.

Eventually I plan on painting it black to better match the interior but for the pics the natural color worked well.

#93 ·
ritter, that troll hair gas GOT to go

#97 ·
Heated 8-way power leather seats from an S-10 Blazer

Herculiner on the floorboard

Modified rear seat with convenience net and Herculiner

97+ floor console swap (complete and functional)

Mutant overhead console swap (parts from Caravan, Grand Cherokee, and late-model XJ).

Oversized cargo light with integrated switch for ...

Hatch lights and 6x9 speakers

Complete LED conversion (except hatch bulbs which may go halogen)

Doing some more work on the trim and wiring then hope to get carpet and headliner reinstalled

#100 ·
those look like jeep 2500 tails to me

#107 ·
Awesome....

Painted dash bits look kool, but the I <3 U FTW!!
haha yeah gf found some extra painters tape in the jeep and put that on their along with the diamond heart on the first switch on the dash.

lighted shift knob..kind of like rollin doorless..might look stupid but its cool in person!! especially in disco mode! but dont use while driving or it might make you see things that arent there..

#108 ·
Has anybody painted the dash on their older Cherokee? I'd like to see it done before I go to town with spray paint.

#109 ·
i have done quite a bit inside my jeep so i need to think about it ...... haha

1 Guage swap to tach
2 blue LED floor lights
3 AC plug on center console and in with toggle switch
4 KC daylighter toggle switch next to dash cluster
5 Alpine deck with Direct link ipod connection between steering wheel and dash
6 Cherokee Emblem on center bezel

now the good stuff...
7 Tool box under rear seat
8 Rear 5" Jensen speakers with 13mm Tweaters in back hatch
9 Sony Xplode amp mounted where spare used to be
and probably my best interior mod ever...
10 10" Clarion Sub built in to cargo area wall:thumbsup:

here are some pics of what ive done
i know you have to open a link but its the best i can do.:)

Pictures by jeepedo - Photobucket

#111 ·
just cup holders and replaced the stupid plastic head rests with padded ones. painted my gauge surround and overlay black. i also have a thick leather wrapped pad on my center console that a PO had put on.

#112 ·
I have some kill switches and an fan override. I mounted a power inverter and a cb, but that's about it. Looking for some more stuff to put in there. Great stuff so far.:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.