XJ Headlight Conversions? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > XJ Headlight Conversions?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 12-09-2013, 09:14 PM   #1
ParkerXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

XJ Headlight Conversions?

so ive been searching around on websites and whatnot trying to figure out a good set of headlights for my 01' XJ

looking to get white headlights (not blue, not blueish white, not yellow) and quite bright but not "that A-hole blinding oncoming traffic" bright, just enough to see clearly in rain/snow/fog and whatnot, possibly HID or Bi-xenon (for high/low beams)

im wondering if anybody runs them and can steer me in the right direction as to a good HID kit to go with, id assume i'll need ballasts, lenses, and bulbs (or is there more?)

any help/links to good sites for headlight conversions for less then $150 would be much appreciated, thanks!

Unread 12-09-2013, 09:27 PM   #2
misterdent
Goin broke jeeping!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

most of the kits for HID that you can do for under 150 are going to be the blinding oncoming traffic kind. If you really want to an expert opinion Daniel Stern @ danielsternlighting.com always comes highly recommended. I think it was also mischii here on jeep forum that had an extended post on the subject. I would highly recommend reading up different styles and types as they all have advantages and disadvantages. Good luck and let us know what you decide!
Unread 12-09-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
ParkerXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterdent View Post
most of the kits for HID that you can do for under 150 are going to be the blinding oncoming traffic kind. If you really want to an expert opinion Daniel Stern @ danielsternlighting.com always comes highly recommended. I think it was also mischii here on jeep forum that had an extended post on the subject. I would highly recommend reading up different styles and types as they all have advantages and disadvantages. Good luck and let us know what you decide!
awesome i definitely will, i mean they dont need to be HID, just looking for a whiter/clearer then stock headlights with increased visibility and hi-low beam is a plus
Unread 12-09-2013, 09:33 PM   #4
Xride

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerXJ View Post
awesome i definitely will, i mean they dont need to be HID, just looking for a whiter/clearer then stock headlights with increased visibility and hi-low beam is a plus
The cheapo housings on eBay that say projector style give off pretty good light, then just use a quality bulb in it. Putting HID in them would blind people though.

I'd probably just leave the headlights and add good driving lights.
Unread 12-09-2013, 09:38 PM   #5
ParkerXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xride View Post
The cheapo housings on eBay that say projector style give off pretty good light, then just use a quality bulb in it. Putting HID in them would blind people though.

I'd probably just leave the headlights and add good driving lights.
ahhh, alright, so i'd get the projector lense, and good bulbs? is there a certain bulb that'll give you close to pure white beams? i know on Hid thats around 3500k-4000k i believe, may be a little off

would i need a ballast with them as well? sorry im more or less a novice
Unread 12-09-2013, 09:41 PM   #6
misterdent
Goin broke jeeping!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Also, the wiring harness on our vehicles is woefully inadequate, and age and use doesn't help matters! Quite a few of the people who drive XJ's have reported better light output simply by upgrading the wiring harness for the lights. Last time I checked a quality harness could be had for under $150. Some people have had success with the less expensive Putco harnesses, but others have reported problems with the relays. Might be another option to look at.
Unread 12-09-2013, 09:46 PM   #7
ParkerXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterdent View Post
Also, the wiring harness on our vehicles is woefully inadequate, and age and use doesn't help matters! Quite a few of the people who drive XJ's have reported better light output simply by upgrading the wiring harness for the lights. Last time I checked a quality harness could be had for under $150. Some people have had success with the less expensive Putco harnesses, but others have reported problems with the relays. Might be another option to look at.
hmmm, alright, so possibly new lense/bulb/harness would be good? id imagine i can get those for roughly 150$, my buddy made his own and offered to help me, so thats a cheaper route
Unread 12-09-2013, 10:10 PM   #8
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The best upgrade I have made to my Cherokee so far has been the IPF H4 headlight housings, Hella 90/130watt H4 bulbs, and an upgraded wiring harness. Cheaper than an HID kit, much better beam pattern, and 100x brighter than stock. This upgrade has probably saved me thousands of dollars in deer damage.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 10:14 PM   #9
ParkerXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepkid03 View Post
The best upgrade I have made to my Cherokee so far has been the IPF H4 headlight housings, Hella 90/130watt H4 bulbs, and an upgraded wiring harness. Cheaper than an HID kit, much better beam pattern, and 100x brighter than stock. This upgrade has probably saved me thousands of dollars in deer damage.
how much in total would you guess? that sounds like something id be interested in and buy
and where did you get the harness? bought from somewhere?
Unread 12-09-2013, 10:20 PM   #10
Finallyajeep
2000 XJ Cherokee 

One of my favorite mods I have done to my XJ is installing Truck-lite LED headlights. Plug and play with the OEM wiring harness, and put off crisp white light. Aim them right and they are 100 times better than stock lights, plus you never have to deal with a bulb burning out.

FOR SALE PM me if interested!
C-rok outer steering box brace new, never installed. Also have an XJ trailer hitch for sale, needs some paint, but thats about it.
Finallyajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 10:36 PM   #11
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finallyajeep View Post
One of my favorite mods I have done to my XJ is installing Truck-lite LED headlights. Plug and play with the OEM wiring harness, and put off crisp white light. Aim them right and they are 100 times better than stock lights, plus you never have to deal with a bulb burning out.
I have one of trucklites 7in round units on my bike, its nice.

The upgraded jeep head light is on the left the Truck-lite on the bike is on the right. Both are running at idle, both are on low beam, the fence is about 30ft away, Bike is on its kick stand.

The jeep has IPF H4 housings, standard 55/60w Sylvania bulbs, and a 10ga wiring harness with 40amp relays. The Bike is a 06 Ninja 250, all stock wiring.

This is the same shot with the high beams.
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 11:19 PM   #12
ParkerXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskeenan View Post
I have one of trucklites 7in round units on my bike, its nice.

The upgraded jeep head light is on the left the Truck-lite on the bike is on the right. Both are running at idle, both are on low beam, the fence is about 30ft away, Bike is on its kick stand.

The jeep has IPF H4 housings, standard 55/60w Sylvania bulbs, and a 10ga wiring harness with 40amp relays. The Bike is a 06 Ninja 250, all stock wiring.

This is the same shot with the high beams.
thanks so much for the pictures! im quite pleased with those lights! any idea a rough cost for that setup?
Unread 12-09-2013, 11:32 PM   #13
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerXJ View Post
thanks so much for the pictures! im quite pleased with those lights! any idea a rough cost for that setup?
Housings are about 40$ each IPF model is 820h, bulbs are about 7$ from any walmart or auto parts store. The harness I made my self with wire and parts i had laying around, so i have no hard number on cost, but probably around 50$ worth of material.

If you want to go nuts IPF makes some stupid bright bulbs called "fatboys". they are stupid bright, but only last about 6 months and cost 80$ a pair. i had some for a while and when they went out i replaced them with the normal H4 bulbs and haven't had an issue since, light out put is slightly less, but if they're not side by side you'll never notice.
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 11:33 PM   #14
ParkerXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

does anybody know if these will work as a harness?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/H4-Headlight...a6003d&vxp=mtr

these with the IPF H4 Housing and Sylvenia 55/60watt bulbs or Hella bulbs?
leaning towards the sylvenia due to the pictures showing white which is what i want
Unread 12-09-2013, 11:34 PM   #15
Volf
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I did an H4 conversion with IPFs and a harness that I purchased. Very pleased. Don't remember what I spent though.
Volf is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.