XJ has the rust-cancer =( - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > XJ has the rust-cancer =(

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 09-23-2012, 11:52 PM   #1
218bps
1993 XJ Cherokee 

XJ has the rust-cancer =(

its too dark outside to take a picture of it right now so i'll post a pic tomorrow. but was looking underneath for something else and i discovered this tragedy. fortunately it's in it's early stages and only on the passenger floor in a smallish area but its pretty much gone all the way through. so i guess i'll be having a project for a little bit. any advice on steps to repair it?

after repairing it i think i'm gonna POR-15 the underside.
http://www.por15.com/RUBBERIZED-UNDE...ductinfo/RUCS/
just to prevent the rest of it rusting up

on another note, does anybody have a ton of dirt/junk stuff on pretty much the entire under carriage? again i'll post pics of this stuff tomorrow as it is dark outside. but its all over

218bps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2012, 12:17 AM   #2
DullesJeep
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Dude, you don't want to see the underside of my Jeep. Haven't even given that project any serious thoughts except for buying a mig welder and some materials. Haven't had the time to try and work on it.
I wish rust was one of those problems you could ignore and it would eventually go away.
Unread 09-24-2012, 10:57 AM   #3
Tru2Chevy
Web Wheeler

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Yea, rust sucks. I just scrapped an otherwise pretty nice '96 XJ Classic due to rust (over 1/2 of the driver's side pinch seam was gone, as was about 1/2 of the floor front and back).

(Just a small portion of the rust issues on that Jeep)

- Justin

1996 Cherokee Classic - 3.5" lift / 31.0x10.5 Mastercraft Courser CTs / Warn XD9000i - Stripped for parts / junked :(

2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo - 4.7, bone stock - Wife's DD

NJ F-Body Owners Association
Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
218bps
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Gotta go run an errand then when i get back gonna pull up the passenger side carpet to see if its gone through the floor or not
Unread 09-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #5
218bps
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Well pulled up the carpet last night and basically its the great majority of the passenger side. Couple small surface spots on the driver side but no biggy for now. Put the order in for some POR-15 so hopefully I'll get this taken care of soon

forumrunner_20120928_080433.jpg

forumrunner_20120928_080557.jpg

forumrunner_20120928_080715.jpg
Unread 09-28-2012, 07:14 PM   #6
DullesJeep
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Good thing you caught it when you did. Looks much better than my Jeep's floors.
I've already got some holes, and it's past the POR-15 fix. Eventually going to get around to replacing the panels, but don't know when. I don't have two consecutive days off anymore, so it's kind of hard to try and get everything removed, cut, welded, and then painted all in one day, and it's my daily driver. Plus I've got no garage, so even if it wasn't a daily driver, it's not like I could just leave stuff ripped apart for days on end. Ugh.
Unread 10-05-2012, 08:25 PM   #7
bobthecatkiller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DullesJeep
Good thing you caught it when you did. Looks much better than my Jeep's floors.
I've already got some holes, and it's past the POR-15 fix. Eventually going to get around to replacing the panels, but don't know when. I don't have two consecutive days off anymore, so it's kind of hard to try and get everything removed, cut, welded, and then painted all in one day, and it's my daily driver. Plus I've got no garage, so even if it wasn't a daily driver, it's not like I could just leave stuff ripped apart for days on end. Ugh.
Why not! lol I drive all around town no doors no hood no back door no mirrors no windows!!! cops don't care much around here but god forbid you go threw a yellow light lol
Unread 10-05-2012, 09:04 PM   #8
DullesJeep
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthecatkiller View Post
Why not! lol I drive all around town no doors no hood no back door no mirrors no windows!!! cops don't care much around here but god forbid you go threw a yellow light lol
Lmao.

I should. Only thing I worry about is getting half way through replacing a panel, and having it start to rain only to have to drive to work the next day in said rain, minus a floor panel.
Unread 10-05-2012, 09:29 PM   #9
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Rust is just an excuse to weld or learn to if you don't know how. Realistically if you're going to own and wheel Jeeps or cars in general it would behoove you to learn to weld. If nothing else it will save you a ton of money in the long run.
Unread 10-05-2012, 11:52 PM   #10
DullesJeep
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
Rust is just an excuse to weld or learn to if you don't know how.
This.
Was my explanation to myself for buying my Hobart Auto Arc 130. Of course now I regret not getting something bigger. I also use the same reasoning to explain to myself why I need a plasma cutter.
Unread 10-17-2012, 01:29 AM   #11
RacerX
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DullesJeep View Post
This.
Was my explanation to myself for buying my Hobart Auto Arc 130. Of course now I regret not getting something bigger. I also use the same reasoning to explain to myself why I need a plasma cutter.
Ha, nice

I actually wish I'd got a smaller welder, well about the same size, but 110v instead of my 220v 2-phase, pain in the a... when you live in an apartment
RacerX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.