XJ drove me to buy a Corolla - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > XJ drove me to buy a Corolla

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-12-2008, 08:16 PM   #1
TreddyoXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

XJ drove me to buy a Corolla

I know that everyone on here is well aware of how bad the price of gas is and how much it hurts some days to be driving a Jeep, especially if it gets 12 or 13 mpg. I've figured out that I've been spending the better part of $70-90 a week on gas for the last few months. Today I did something to change that. I decided that my XJ is no longer going to be my DD, as I went out and bought an 09' Toyota Corolla. Basically I've decided to apply the money that I've been spending on gas into a car payment. Granted, I will still be purchasing gas for the new car, but now it will be 1/3 as often, AND I get to keep the Jeep. Now I can finally dismember my vehicle w/o worrying about getting it back together right away, which is a relief for me.

I don't know about the rest of your guys'/girls' opinions, but having a Toyota means that I have a car that starts every single time and will run forever. I've had one before and I work on them all the time; they just don't seem to have problems. Buying a fuel efficient vehicle has been a long time coming for me, as I hate contributing to America's overuse of oil, yet I've been contributing every day that I drive a lifted Jeep with mud tires that I only off-road once or twice a month in. I encourage every one to try and take a similar path or find a better alternative. Take the bus, ride you bike, WALK somewhere for heaven's sake!

SOLD: 1997 Jeep Cherokee Country w/D44, D30 w/ Aussie locker, Edge Trail Jammer System, 4.5" Rough Country lift, Zacatal Roof Rack, T&T front bumper, all lower body/bumpers/trim are Herculined, 31x10.5 MT Baja Claws, Warn 9.5ti. Ephesians 6:10-18

I HATE when people hijack threads. PM!
TreddyoXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 08:28 PM   #2
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

My 93 was never my daily driver. I currently have a 99 Mazda 626 4cy that surves as dd duty for me and the wife and a 05 Mazda MPV that hauls the kids ad groceries around.

XJ gets a day or two out o fthe week for short running around trips.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 08:35 PM   #3
CNY
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Add a Scangauge to your Corolla. Adds fun, will pay for itself. Makes driving for better mpg an interesting "game" you can play, always trying to beat your high score.

Also check out www.cleanmpg.com

If my Jeep were a DD, I'd have gotten rid of it years ago.
CNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 09:37 PM   #4
howardusa
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Taking a bus, riding a bike or walking somewhere are options folks have that live in the city. When you live in the boonies on a gravel road none of them are an option. It's a 40 mile round trip just to go to the grocery store. Buses are something I see on TV. Your Toyota couldn't even negotiate my 250yd driveway after a heavy rain without disappearing in a rut. Point is you have different options than I have. Good luck with your Toyota, I'll keep my Jeep as a DD and pay the price.
HT
howardusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 09:39 PM   #5
MBJR9
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Unfortunately and ironically enough, the XJ is the most fuel efficient of the vehicles we currently own. If you drive it nice it will eeeeek out 17/18mpg in the city and about 23/24mpg on the highway. Usually it'll average between 18-20mpg.

My Ram, though, gets 10-13mpg in the city and 18mpg on the highway if I'm lucky and have a tail wind. It'll average 14.5mpg w/alot of highway. Plus the damn Hemi likes mid-grade.

The old Buick gets under 10mpg. I think I'm killing the environment...

The Daily Driver
2004 Ram 1500, 5.7L Hemi V8, 545RFE 5 Speed Auto, NP241, Chrysler 8.0/Chrysler 9.25, 10mpg
MBJR9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 11:02 PM   #6
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

im 17..no way i could afford two vehicles. jeep gets the job done for me and its fun to drive. yeah it only gets 14mpg and it sucks watching the price go up when filling up but while im filling up, i usually day dream of the last wheeling trip and then it doesnt seem so bad..

have fun with the corolla..i had to drive a co-workers once to pick her up. i want those 5 minutes of my life back.
Unread 06-12-2008, 11:28 PM   #7
xxxflhrci

I have no car payments, so buying gas right now isn't too bad. However, I'm certain that when the time comes that I have to get a new vehicle, my choice will not be the same as it was when gas was much cheaper.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 11:39 PM   #8
SoloCamo
1988 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircruiser View Post
i want those 5 minutes of my life back.
X2. I can't stand driving anything else but my Jeep...it all seems so boring.
Tires: Firestone "Firehawk Indy 500" 235/70/15's
SoloCamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2008, 12:00 AM   #9
jcc522
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloCamo View Post
X2. I can't stand driving anything else but my Jeep...it all seems so boring.
and the brakes are always too touchy
jcc522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2008, 12:00 AM   #10
winkosmosis
1999 XJ Cherokee 

If I had room, I'd spend a few thousand dollars on an old Corolla or Civic. Worth it to make the Jeep last that much longer while also saving some money in gas.
winkosmosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2008, 12:10 AM   #11
justinwalden

hey gas is post to stop at around $4.15 and $65 instead of $45 eh thats just $20 my gf doesnt get haha
Unread 06-13-2008, 12:58 AM   #12
TreddyoXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I will agree with everyone on here that the Corolla is nowhere near as cool and my Jeep. There's nothing inherently cool about a 1.8L four banger compact, except it's not eating gas like my Jeep. Trust me, I'd drive my Jeep any day over the new car, but it's more practical this way. The Jeep, in practice tops out at 75 mph, is an aerodynamic nightmare over 50 mph, and rattles more than some bass lures I own on the baja claws. It's better to commute in something like this new car and just be able to play in the Jeep or take it out cruising when I feel like it.

Someone said something about being 17 or 18 years old and not being able to afford two cars... well, I'm only 22. In reality, people our age (unless you already have a real job or some other viable source of steady income) cannot even afford to have a project car like a lifted and locked XJ.

As for living out in the boonies and not being able to have alternate transportation, that's understandable. Trust me I know, I lived in rural Iowa for a few years. That doesn't me you can't have a more fuel efficient car if you can afford one. Hell, they make hybrid TAHOES and SUBURBANS now (oxymoron, IMO)... If your driveway truly requires 4wd or lots of ground clearance, I'd say you either live up on a steep dirt hill or you could shell out for some maintenance on those ruts. Gravel worked wonders on mine a while back.
SOLD: 1997 Jeep Cherokee Country w/D44, D30 w/ Aussie locker, Edge Trail Jammer System, 4.5" Rough Country lift, Zacatal Roof Rack, T&T front bumper, all lower body/bumpers/trim are Herculined, 31x10.5 MT Baja Claws, Warn 9.5ti. Ephesians 6:10-18

Unread 06-13-2008, 01:03 AM   #13
TreddyoXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwalden View Post
hey gas is post to stop at around $4.15 and $65 instead of $45 eh thats just $20 my gf doesnt get haha
My father works for Shell Oil Company. I've got news for you... gas will not stop at $4.15. In 25 years in the oil industry, my dad has seen one price decrease in the early 80's... everything else is, and will continue to be, in the other direction. The best we're ever going to get is periods of time where it manages to hold relatively steady.

Unread 06-13-2008, 01:18 AM   #14
jcc522
1999 XJ Cherokee 

^^^ go kick your father in the nuts
jcc522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2008, 01:29 AM   #15
ruff88xj

1992 YJ Wrangler 

i own a 99 corolla (complete base model) and i completely agree on a how lame it can be, but for the 50 mile commute oneway i got for work when i am out of school and 30+ mpg's it gets it can be beat for a DD. i save the xj for the fun stuff. with the 34 mile commute to school at 14mpgs with the xj just sucks
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/y...92-yj-1766433/
ruff88xj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.