An XJ dilema (XJ Veterans get in here) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > An XJ dilema (XJ Veterans get in here)

JK Front 3 Link Prototype - Clayton Off RoadDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 08-03-2010, 07:00 AM   #1
kadetklapp
1997 XJ Cherokee 

An XJ dilema (XJ Veterans get in here)

Within the next year, I anticipate a 97 XJ coming up for sale or trade from a local municipality. This XJ is very special to me because it was my dad's last police car before he died in the line of duty in 2003. This Jeep was bought new in the summer of 1997. Indiana state bid 1997 XJ Cherokee. 4.0, Chryco 8.25, NP231. It is NOT the XJ police package. It's a retail Jeep spec'd for the state.

It has about 70,000 miles on it. The town is having more and more issues with it in recent months. I think the crank sensor is going, the AC compressor has issues, and there is an electrical issue (I think it's just a worn alternator). Anyway, word on the street is it will be replaced in the next 12-14 months. I'm going to have to start saving my pennies now. Just bought a house a year ago and I just came out of a bunch of credit card debt, so I don't just have the cash laying around for this. Plans for it will be big. Some of you remember that I'm a bit of an originalist and not big on huge lifts, but this puppy is going to be capable.

No rust on this thing either, I might add.

So what should I anticipate saving for it? If they trade it in rather than auction it (which I suspect will be the case) I'm going to end up paying out the nose. If I get lucky and get it at sealed bid, I might only spend a couple grand on it.

2008 "Jeep" Patriot <-----Crap.
kadetklapp is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 08:03 AM   #2
CJ7Pilot

You might get it for a couple grand... but be prepared to spend twice that.

I just spent over four grand on one just like that, which is about twice what it's "worth," but I was sold on the great maintenance, and overall condition of the vehicle.

Mine is super-clean and rust-free, and that in itself is worth the extra money once you start working on upgrades.

Good luck!
Unread 08-03-2010, 08:05 AM   #3
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I would try to talk to someone in the force, tell them what the Jeep means to you and see what they can do about it. I don't know of too many people looking for used XJ's at police auctions so you could possibly get a good deal on it.

Retail in stock form might be around $5k on that.
Unread 08-03-2010, 08:13 AM   #4
XJH-007

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
I would try to talk to someone in the force, tell them what the Jeep means to you and see what they can do about it. I don't know of too many people looking for used XJ's at police auctions so you could possibly get a good deal on it.

Retail in stock form might be around $5k on that.
X2

You obviously are privy to some inside info.....just go meet with them and see how you can work it out.

The state/municipality doesn't give a what they sell it for....they didn't pay for it......so hopefully you have a good rep with the guys in the office...

Tera 4:1 / 4:56's_Elec. Locked D44
**84' CJ7 4"BDS 33's
***02 WJ Overland
XJH-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 08:50 AM   #5
kadetklapp
1997 XJ Cherokee 

This is a two-man police agency in a town of 350 people, so there won't be a mass auction. State law requires that if it values at higher than $1000 it either must be sold at auction (sealed bid usually) or traded-in on new equipment/department vehicle.

I've spoken with the current marshal as well as the town board president, so they are aware of my interest. They even promised me the Jeep, but I know that is bull-hockey because they HAVE to follow a certain procedure in which to dispose of it.

Unread 08-03-2010, 09:41 AM   #6
billabongopblue
1996 XJ Cherokee 

yea with 70k on it and all the service records i could see spending 5k on it retail.
Unread 08-03-2010, 09:42 AM   #7
Bane7962

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I paid 4K with 140K on mine. You'd be getting a deal. Good luck though!
Working with cars is a little like a really awesome date: you start out expecting this to be something simple and straightforward; four hours later you're laying under her, panting and cursing, and things are a lot more complicated than you thought.

When my Jeep stops making strange noises, I become concerned. That usually means I have to go back and find whatever fell off.
Bane7962 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2010, 09:42 AM   #8
kadetklapp
1997 XJ Cherokee 

It's all a waiting game from here on out. No real answers. They will have to replace it sooner or later.

Unread 08-05-2010, 09:44 AM   #9
Bane7962

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadetklapp View Post
It's all a waiting game from here on out. No real answers. They will have to replace it sooner or later.
Good luck OP, we're rooting for you. And a little jealous you're getting such a young XJ.. Mine's about to break 180K
Working with cars is a little like a really awesome date: you start out expecting this to be something simple and straightforward; four hours later you're laying under her, panting and cursing, and things are a lot more complicated than you thought.

When my Jeep stops making strange noises, I become concerned. That usually means I have to go back and find whatever fell off.
Bane7962 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2010, 10:32 AM   #10
kadetklapp
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane7962 View Post
Good luck OP, we're rooting for you. And a little jealous you're getting such a young XJ.. Mine's about to break 180K
Thanks. Make no mistake, this thing has been rode hard and put up wet. Cold starts in the middle of the night followed by nearly WOT don't do any favors. It's a good Jeep, but it will need a lot of work.

I remember going with my dad to Indianapolis at Waymires to pick this up when new. Bloomington Chrysler delivered it to Waymire to have the spotlight installed. Since delivery, it hasn't changed much at all. The decals are the ones dad put on it back in '97. When dad had it, it always stayed in our garage. The current marshal parks it outside, so the dash and armrests on the doors have some UV damage. They did get the windows tinted recently though.

Unread 08-05-2010, 10:55 AM   #11
sktr021
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I dont see any dilema here...BUY IT (if you can swing it)

FOR SALE-XJ Tail light housings corner lamps.
sktr021 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2010, 01:08 PM   #12
jjshbetz11
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Dang, a cup holder, I'm jealous, BTW that thing looks clean!!!
jjshbetz11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2011, 08:25 AM   #13
kadetklapp
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Almost a year later. Bumping this thread for inspiration and keeping my eye on the prize. I found out today that the town board/council is preliminarily discussing replacing the police Jeep with a later model SUV. The marshal gave them the KBB info on it ($3700 in it's current condition) and told them it's not worth that much, but close. They want some prices at the next few meetings on gently used retail SUVs so the marshal has some research to do. But I think I can get into it for $3000 bucks. More than I'd ideally want to spend, but well worth it. I was hoping there would be some money left over to get some new rubber and a BB right off the bat, but looks like I'm still getting the cart before the horse...

Unread 07-13-2011, 08:56 AM   #14
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Good luck Klapp!
WKdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2011, 09:23 AM   #15
kadetklapp
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Just for giggles, here's some "Pictures of a picture" of when we first got this Jeep in-service. This was in June of 1997. It originally was a slick-top but then in like 98 or 99 they put the MX-7000 lightbar on it, and three years ago, put a low-profile LED bar on it. As such, the roof has some rust issues where the mounts rubbed.

Preliminary plans for it are some sort of quality BB (probably 3 inches), semi-aggressive ATs (Dayton Timberlines, Goodyear Wrangler Authorities) in 30" or 31" flavor, a hitch, a bumper upgrade or at least a brushguard on the front, JK shocks, front skid plate, and a good lunchbox locker for the 8.25...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.