xj cherokee 97 country 4.0 I6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > xj cherokee 97 country 4.0 I6

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #1
xjcountrycolt
1997 XJ Cherokee 

xj cherokee 97 country 4.0 I6

I wanna put 35-12.5 15s on my jeep how much of lift do i need for that... Im thinking of a 4x4 conversion what all do i need to make that happen? Any and all advice accepted... Yes i know itd be easier to buy a 4wd but this is my first vehicle ive had it 4 years it was a DD now i have a car so i can work on this its my project shes my baby, she had it kinda rough for a while, smoked many 3.8 camaros and firebirds recently spanked a challenger lol but now i want 4x4 prolly turbo the jeep chip it cold air and changing injectors soon

xjcountrycolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 09:25 PM   #2
XJmike0122
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Man in no way am I trying to be an ***, but that's just way to much to ask in one post. Unless you are rich you have years of work ahead of you for all that. If your not you have plenty of time to use the search button. Again not being an ***. Anything you can't find searching I'm sure someone would not mind helping you out.
XJmike0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 09:43 PM   #3
xjcountrycolt
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Nah i understand what your saying i just wanted maybe some hints and know what kinda problems i might run into i get what your saying though and im noy rich but i would definitely be able to accomplish all this within 6 months or so
Unread 07-12-2013, 11:37 PM   #4
XJmike0122
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjcountrycolt View Post
Nah i understand what your saying i just wanted maybe some hints and know what kinda problems i might run into i get what your saying though and im noy rich but i would definitely be able to accomplish all this within 6 months or so
Thanks for understanding. I'm subscribing to this thread for sure because I think your definition of rich is a little different than mine if you can do it in 6 months. I have had a few turbo cars and I would think the I6 would have to be reworked from bottom to top to handle any amount of boost to make it worth while. My Mazdaspeed was at 22lbs of boost when I sold it. That would only lead to a stronger transmission and transfer case (which you do not even have mounts for more) Then there is the rest of the 4x4 conversion. Different axles and gears. Custom drive shafts depending on hp you want. New breaks because with more hp you want to be able to control it. Stronger motor mounts would be a good idea. Don't want that motor ripping the weak stock mounts off. That's just some of the things I can think of coming from a turbo car back ground. I have had a Wrangle sense 06, but I'm some what new to Cherokees so I'm sure I have not even began to touch on everything you are going to need to do. Good luck man.
Unread 07-12-2013, 11:50 PM   #5
XJmike0122
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Oh I also should definitely tell you that you are going to need a few good flux capacitors <----- Sorry now that was me being an *** Welcome to JF
Unread 07-12-2013, 11:52 PM   #6
xjcountrycolt
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks again and yeah i want go turbo but i have looked into other ideas just dont wanna lift it go 4wd tires and all and not be able go over 55 so i been looking at ideas for hp, torque and what not, but 6 months would be nice maybe not fully complete but close, i did see the country edition xj would need 4.5-5 inch lift for 35s
Unread 07-13-2013, 12:30 AM   #7
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjcountrycolt View Post
Thanks again and yeah i want go turbo but i have looked into other ideas just dont wanna lift it go 4wd tires and all and not be able go over 55 so i been looking at ideas for hp, torque and what not, but 6 months would be nice maybe not fully complete but close, i did see the country edition xj would need 4.5-5 inch lift for 35s
Your Probly going to need to trim the wheel Wells your Probly gonna want different axles and a re gear your pretty much better off buying a 4wd xj lol
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 12:36 AM   #8
XJmike0122
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Hah man with the right gears its not going to be the HP that limits your speed to 55. It also does not matter what trim you have. You can run 35s with a 3 inch lift if you do it right The more lift the easier it is, but a low COG (center of gravity) is better for off road. No more racing cars either. You just have to think you may be faster, but your **** out of luck when the pavement ends.
Unread 07-13-2013, 12:48 AM   #9
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJmike0122 View Post
Hah man with the right gears its not going to be the HP that limits your speed to 55. It also does not matter what trim you have. You can run 35s with a 3 inch lift if you do it right The more lift the easier it is, but a low COG (center of gravity) is better for off road. No more racing cars either. You just have to think you may be faster, but your **** out of luck when the pavement ends.
Unless he drops a crate engine in there lol
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 01:07 AM   #10
XJmike0122
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrunndonex View Post
Unless he drops a crate engine in there lol
He could put 12 unicorns under his hood (that **** would be fast..... YEAH it would. Don't ever question this logic) HP only gets to the ground threw the suspension and then the tires. You don't build a lifted 4x4 XJ for speed.
Unread 07-13-2013, 07:26 AM   #11
gfox48
1999 XJ Cherokee 

We have a local XJ club in the Houston area if you are interested.

Search for it on facebook: Houston Cherokee Club
Unread 07-14-2013, 11:53 AM   #12
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I was hoping someone would say this "You don't build a lifted 4x4 XJ for speed." if you putting 35" tires on it and lift... just gear it properly and put few minor engine upgrades to help keep it breathing and running cool. just search here or google "xj trimmed fenders" something along those lines and you will see what you have to do to fit 35's on lower lifted xj's... WELCOME TO JF~
Camfam07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 12:20 PM   #13
AKIQPilot

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Adding 4 wheel drive to a 2by XJ is quite easy, all you need is a doner vehicle or a junk yard close that will sell you the transmission, transfer case, drivelines and front axle. It all bolts in.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.