XJ Cargo Drawer Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > XJ Cargo Drawer Build

This is a shout out to all INTERNATIONAL Customers! Yes weEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*

Unread 03-09-2013, 12:55 PM   #1
408Chevelle

XJ Cargo Drawer Build

Just built a cargo drawer for my XJ. All I have left is to install a locking paddle latch, bolt it down completely and load it up. It measures approximately 42x28x13" and the slides are rated for 250lbs. Sorry for the iPhone pics.

408Chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 09:51 PM   #2
408Chevelle

Does anyone think a 31" tire will squeeze in if I remove the spare pedestal? The box buts up to the bottom of the rear wheel well.
Unread 03-13-2013, 10:59 PM   #3
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Nice work on the storage box! I like the thought of keeping everything contained in the event of an accident, not to mention being able to find stuff when you need it.

I'm thinking width might be an issue with storing a 31" spare in your stock location there. Here's a pic of a 31x10.5" spare in one of my XJ's. I was able to use the stock mounting sans pedestal and it clears the hatch glass by probably less than an inch. It does stick out past the wheel well though.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009

VOTE NOW: Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension!!
chris87xj is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2013, 04:36 AM   #4
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Make a mount for the spare on the top of the box, so that it lays down, and have a 10" sub next to it for good tunes.
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2013, 05:20 AM   #5
408Chevelle

Thanks Chris, that picture shows exactly what I needed to know. Looks like I'll have to mount it on top as Phfister said when I get a full size spare.
Unread 03-14-2013, 06:09 AM   #6
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Here's a fresh one with the hatch shut that gives a better feel for the side squeeze involved. It's up against the sound bar speaker and makes a small blind spot to watch out for on that side. With your spare laying flat you might lose a little off the bottom but can keep full width field of rear view. Plus you'll gain a little cubby where the factory one rode.
I can't quite tell if that's diamond plate or a rubber mat protecting the top of your tools box, but it looks like a good mounting surface.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009

VOTE NOW: Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension!!
chris87xj is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 12:03 PM   #7
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I need to do this. Good work!
July 2013 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2013, 08:22 AM   #8
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I built a top to go over the entire back and the door is the lift gate so it locks.. . works great, I'm doorless all the time. I'm switching to an mj tailgate and can't figure out how to lock it .. so I may go with something like this .. looks good.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.