XJ and airing down for the beach, riding in the sand - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > XJ and airing down for the beach, riding in the sand

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in Stock

Unread 07-15-2008, 04:15 PM   #1
fivelstang4
2004 WJ 

XJ and airing down for the beach, riding in the sand

going to the OBX this weekend and want to drive down to Corolla and drive on the beach, post up in the sand for the day and relax and then head back to the motel. what would be a good air pressure to air down to and drive in the sand? its a 1997 XJ, 15X8 soft 8's with 30X9.50 BFG At's. any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan

2004 WJ Freedom Edition 4.0 selectrac. Magnaflow muffler. 2 inch Fat Bob's Garage with 3/4 spacers in the front. Bilstien 5100 series shocks. Moog steering stabilizer. 245/65-17 Yokohama Geolander AT tires.
fivelstang4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2008, 04:18 PM   #2
99XJburton
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I go down to ocracoke all the time and im on 31'' coopers and i dont air down at all, no problems.
Unread 07-15-2008, 05:08 PM   #3
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Try it first, if the sand is firm you will be OK at street pressure. If it's dry and soft, you will need to go down to 12-15 psi.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2008, 05:37 PM   #4
XJLI
1993 XJ Cherokee 

i was fine in corolla at 35 psi, but once i went into the 'backroads' behind the houses i started to bog a bit, so i went down to 20 and life was grand. i had to go to 15 way down south of hatteras bc it was quite soft.

XJLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2008, 07:36 PM   #5
hxcjohnny
2002 WJ 

I've never been out driving on the beach, but that sounds like a ton of fun
Unread 07-16-2008, 02:20 AM   #6
wildwill8
1987 XJ Cherokee 

I goto OBX all the time in my TJ and XJ and never air down in less I got to pull a yuppy off the beach.

Will
Un-Official JeepForum Virginia Beach Club Member #3
[url]www.clubchopper.com[/url] World Wide
Va Beach Jeepers: [URL="http://jeep.meetup.com/34/"]Click here[/URL]
wildwill8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2008, 11:22 AM   #7
scavengerj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Think I posted this before...
Airing down isn't just about not getting stuck.

Airing down reduces the strain on your entire drivetrain especially the transmission and transfer case. Driving on loose sand with hard tires takes its toll on those components.

There is a way to determine what the optimal tire pressure is for your vehicle:

Perform the following test on a flat, level and smooth surface, fully loaded as you would be for a sand run (gas tank full, passengers, cooler rack etc. included). Measure the vertical height to the bottom of the wheel (rim) from the ground. This is your 100%, street pressure, wheel height. Now reduce this height by 25%. In other words, let out air until your wheel is 75% of the street height. Measure and record this pressure and depending on your vehicle and loading scheme, front and rear tires pressure will probably differ.

This is your optimum sand pressure. This reduction typically results in more than a 250% increase in footprint area. That is like having ten tires where you only had four. This pressure is only valid for exactly what you tested. Change vehicle, tires, wheels or load and you have to retest.

Too low a tire pressure isn't good either . . . The center of the footprint begins to well up reducing the effective footprint and creating a small “traveling hill” in the center of the footprint. This hill offers increased resistance to vehicle movement.
scavengerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2008, 12:06 PM   #8
wojtizzlator
1987 XJ Cherokee 

i would air down first not do any trying because youll try till you get stuck once you get stuck you will regret not airing down. you can go really damn low in sand

"who needs paved roads when u have a jeep"

87 xj 6" long arm lift, 35's, 4.88 yukon gears, front detroit true trac

colorado jeep club member # 74
wojtizzlator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2008, 08:49 PM   #9
blamo
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Scavengerj is absolutely correct. ( a lot of info, but that's never hurt anyone)
I grew up on the beaches of Massachusetts and learned a lot about beach/sand driving. without airing down, you very likely will overheat. At best more strain than you need. Besides getting stuck sucks and takes time from having fun or fishing.
blamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2008, 11:31 AM   #10
scavengerj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Don't never want to take away from my fishin' time!
scavengerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2008, 01:06 AM   #11
MiNiBeast
1989 MJ Comanche 

i run about 8 to 10 psi with 9.50" wide tires and I do not have a problem and I ran a couple times at the dunes with only 2wd and had a blast showing up those 4x4's out there.
MiNiBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2008, 08:52 PM   #12
blamo
1998 XJ Cherokee 

PS: A few years back Four wheeler magazine ran a set of Mickey Thompson Sportsman radials (you know, those massively wide tires usually found on the back of Rods and pro-street cars) on a CJ. They had to TRY to bury it. no problems, and all in two wheel drive. I think if I drove a lot more on the beach I would invest in a set.
blamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2008, 07:57 PM   #13
tdogg55555
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Just got back from Corolla yesterday man....ran mine around 15 to 20.....didnt have any problems until my alternator crapped out on me way down past the cottages near the state line. Had to get towed off the beach AFTER getting 3 trucks stuck trying to pull me off the beach. When you get out there man, rip it up and showem what the xj's can do, Im sure there still talking about mine....lol. But, anyways, 15 to 20 would be a good range.
Unread 07-21-2008, 07:53 AM   #14
BillB7581
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I just got back from OBX and read in one of the local papers that the Rangers run 20 lbs.
BillB7581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2008, 07:59 AM   #15
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I ran 20psi when I went wheeling in some decent sloppy mud and didn't even come close to getting stuck. I'll probably stick with that pressure out on the beach as well. Can't wait for my OBX vacation in August! A buddy of mine going with us just picked up a stock XJ, so we'll constantly be out driving on the beach. When we went last year, neither one of us had an ORV, so we rented a Wrangler Unlimited for the beach driving. Fun stuff.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.