XJ-4, Or why did I buy another one? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > XJ-4, Or why did I buy another one?

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while suppliePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 05-15-2014, 08:30 AM   #1
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

XJ-4, Or why did I buy another one?

So as my old build thread comes to an end this summer, I will be starting on a new to me 99 XJ. Its number 4 in the long line of XJs we have owned.

Only thing it is missing feature-wise is cruise control. Everything else, will be a real full blown upgrade.

Thinking this one will be 4" lifted, short arms (fine for my needs), riding on 30's for daily use and 31s for trail duty. Need tr transplant my JCR bumpers from the 96.

Slated to do frame stiffeners and box rockers... that should still pan out. Need to get it running first, just pulled the TB so I can replace the TPS with teh stripped screws. With my custom shop growing a bit, getting in the time to get this running is hard (especially with a 10 month old baby trying to eat the interior)

Pics up shortly, its been pouring out.

Just a few observations after buying:

Headliner is shot. Radio is stock Jeep. Was in a wreck, as the drivers fender sits 1/2" too far back, interferes with the front clip and hood.

Couldnt get it to drive. Went once around the block stalled out. Put it in reverse, stalls. Battery cables are corroded to hell and back. Battery is "Used Battery Brand" brand, I **** you not. Floor is solid. Ebrake just goes to the sky. Oil pressure jumps around a bit when cold, when it will idle.

Replaced the CPS, have a new TPS but need to work at removing the old one as the screws are beginning to strip.

Rear leafs are inverted.

It runs well, needs a cooling flush, a suspension, and rockers, and an efan. Floor is surprisingly solid. Ac even works! Roof and lots of paint look ugly, and the hatch lock mech is unlinked. Oh, and it runs great, but stalls when it goes into gear. I figure either a ground, a TPS, or the connection to the dist.

00z0z_dhvmyhxkvfe_600x450.jpg

Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2014, 07:28 AM   #2
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Looks good man! Can never have enough XJ's!
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2014, 08:22 AM   #3
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I got to work on it! Damn torx bolts on the TPS were stripped.

http://instagram.com/p/o7xCZ9v5bJ/

And thats as far as I got. After Bantam, I'll have more time to maybe make it move under its own power again.
Unread 06-21-2014, 05:02 PM   #4
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Small victories.
10404465_908517685841416_7167105955112122752_n.jpg

Unread 08-17-2014, 11:56 AM   #5
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Progress! Kinda.

We got it running. So far, parts fixed / replaced:

CPS
TPS
Coil (it was cracked)
Cap/rotor
Sparkplug wires

So we got it started, but it dies a few times. Randomly. So we replaced the battery terminal connectors. Just the jostle of the jeep going in gear dropped the whole thing.

Also cleaned up the connector for the ring under the cap (what is that called?) and then it actually ran longer than warming up. We took it around the block, it stalled about 8 times. But it drove. We even got it up to 60, and found that the hood was not totally secured. Wow. That was crazy. http://instagram.com/p/rx8c1-P5eY/?modal=true

So it will need the hood fixed. Or replaced. Hinges are bent up too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.