wtf is this? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > wtf is this?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-04-2010, 01:25 PM   #1
Adrian007
1999 XJ Cherokee 

wtf is this?

So I was washing my jeep and noticed that along the top lip of the hatch was all bare metal. It looks like its been sand blasted from years of driving and grit in the air hitting it. Anyone noticed this on their jeep and found an easy solution to preventing it? Maybe some of that trim stuff for when you trim fenders perhaps?

Adrian007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 01:27 PM   #2
Boyjeepin
1980 CJ7 

Yea, I have the same thing on both of my XJ's. Just bought some touch up paint and went to town. Also check the rain gutters on the side, the paint will peel away in there too.

1980 CJ-7: NEEDS REPAIRIN'
2000 XJ: I wish I would have never sold you.
Boyjeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 01:29 PM   #3
XJ Jay
1999 XJ Cherokee 

if you look at the "orange peal" in the paint of the hatch compared to the some what smooth finish of the rest of the jeep, its fairly obvious to say that the hatch has been repainted and very poorly i may add. paint can "flow" away from sharp corners and body lines and leave the paint very thin, such is the case here!
XJ Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 01:44 PM   #4
Adrian007
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ Jay View Post
if you look at the "orange peal" in the paint of the hatch compared to the some what smooth finish of the rest of the jeep, its fairly obvious to say that the hatch has been repainted and very poorly i may add. paint can "flow" away from sharp corners and body lines and leave the paint very thin, such is the case here!
hmm you might be right :S

I think it should be fine because any rust that starts should get blasted off, but its a little ugly. Can you find that black trim stuff just about anywhere?
Adrian007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 02:15 PM   #5
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Mine is a little chippy up there too...not that bad, but not great.

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 02:59 PM   #6
Boyjeepin
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ Jay View Post
I disagree. I have seen this on many XJ's and I know that both of mine have never been repainted. It is simply a flaw in newer XJ's.

1980 CJ-7: NEEDS REPAIRIN'
2000 XJ: I wish I would have never sold you.
Boyjeepin is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.