Wrecked, but at least its not totalled - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Wrecked, but at least its not totalled

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-22-2009, 12:56 AM   #1
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Wrecked, but at least its not totalled

So I was heading up to Sheetz with some friends and my drivers side front tire flies the **** off. No wobbling or any sort of warning, just popped right off. The XJ wobbles a bit and we're all like, "what the ****," and all of a sudden the front end drops and we see the wheel go over the median (wound up rolling like another 100 yards on its own lol) and for me everything goes into slow motion. I keep the wheel straight, let it slow down before I hit the brakes, finally hit em after we dropped to about 30 mph and sparks start shooting out the side. Kept the wheel straight til about 10 then slowly steered it off to the side of the road (ironically right in front of sheetz ). No one got hurt luckily.

So I head into sheetz to get a phone book, call the non emergency police, they send a cop out. Go figure its the cop who pulled me on my scooter for not wearing a helmet last year. He's basically useless other than calling a tow truck for us.

30 minutes later they get my XJ on the tow truck, the cop leaves, and we head to my house and the ****er informs me it's $194 and they only take cash. Who the **** has $194 cash at 12 o'clock at night? I can either pay him $194 now or he takes it to impound where I can get it the next day, only its got no front tire so it'd be another $194 to get it home. Only I work out of town all week starting tomorrow so it'd have to sit in the lot for a week for $50 a ****ing day. Luckily I'd grabbed $100 earlier that night and my mom (had it towed to her house up the road, like 2 miles ) just happened to have $90 on her at the house.

So, in the end it cost me more to tow the damn thing home than its gonna cost me to replace the rotor and stick one of my other tires on the front. Only good part about today is I got to rescue a stuck H2lol when I was wheeling

Sorry, no pics, my cell camera blows and it was too dark to take anything.

Unread 02-22-2009, 01:09 AM   #2
AceMon
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Dont feel bad man. It happens. I mean it could have been worse. I just tossed a rod coming home from a frends house about an hour ago. Yeah It must be doomsday for the XJs today. And I've been there with the tow guys. Few months ago my other car a 69 chrysler newport had it's diff lock up and it was 175 for the tow and 45 a day. didn't have money so ended up paying 350 to get it out of impound.
AceMon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2009, 01:15 AM   #3
Lynch_6913
2001 XJ Cherokee 

ouch i had the sme thing... i picked up my new tj(which i smashed up 2 months later) and being temper mental like a woman my old xj (which i'm back to drivin as a dd) threw her 33" tire off front driver as well... but it was a bac tar road so we used both jeeps stock jacks and threw a spare on and rove it home, which fried alot of **** up... 400 bucks later works like a charm
Lynch_6913 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2009, 01:31 AM   #4
4.0H.O.XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Good luck with that RVA. Thats sucks and I feel for ya. Good thing you can fix it.
4.0H.O.XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2009, 02:31 AM   #5
TwistedcaB-
1991 XJ Cherokee 

damn man. saw ur message on msn and had to see what happened. but no damage besides whatever broke on the axle right?
TwistedcaB- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2009, 02:36 AM   #6
Me007gold

just think, what you paid today would have covered AAA for an entire year......

better safe then sorry
Me007gold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2009, 02:44 AM   #7
mudgts
1999 XJ Cherokee 

yikes! Evert year for xmas, my parents renew my CAA/AAA membership. 200 miles of free towing. it costs $99/yr

might besoething to ask for this year.
mudgts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2009, 02:45 AM   #8
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

sux

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2009, 12:16 PM   #9
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedcaB- View Post
damn man. saw ur message on msn and had to see what happened. but no damage besides whatever broke on the axle right?
As far as I could tell, but I didn't really have a good chance to really take a look at it, wont til this weekend. But from the look of things I'll just be putting on a new rotor, maybe a new hub, and luckily I've got a spare set of tires to put up front.
Unread 02-22-2009, 12:58 PM   #10
tock172
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Wait, your front left tire just, popped off?
Unread 02-22-2009, 01:50 PM   #11
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

that sucks. At least you got it to the side of the road. My cousin had the front wheel fall off her Volkswagon jetta and went off the road into the woods. Her family is now in a big fight with the dealership because they rotated her tires that day.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2009, 04:41 PM   #12
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Forgot about this thread til a minute ago.

The only real damage was to the rotor. Broke 2 craftsman breaker bars trying to get the axle nut off in my parents driveway, couldnt get it off with an electric impact or an air impact either. Wound up having to have it towed to a shop for them to change the rotor.

I got my 2 door towed a couple months ago and found out I didn't have to pay that tow truck cash either. Apparently a new law went into effect in January that makes tow trucks accept checks and credit cards. Ironic since they're already charging me double since the police called them.
Unread 12-10-2009, 04:42 PM   #13
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
Wait, your front left tire just, popped off?
I put new wheels/tires on earlier that week and that was the only tire I used the old lugnuts on. A few days before it happened I had a tire shop put new tires too. Never was sure who's fault it actually was.
Unread 12-10-2009, 05:06 PM   #14
KINGJB
1999 XJ Cherokee 

so did you tighten the lug nuts to tight or were they to loose?
Unread 12-10-2009, 05:13 PM   #15
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Read above.
A shop had changed the tires a couple days before it happened. Either they didn't tighten that tire enough or the lug nuts broke. We searched the rode for like an hour and never found any of the lug nuts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.