Wrangler axles on Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Wrangler axles on Cherokee

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-19-2011, 08:27 PM   #1
Crazystang89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Wrangler axles on Cherokee

What has to be done to fit Wrangler axles under a Cherokee AND fit the Cherokee axles under a Wrangler? My buddy has a 98 TJ with a D44 rear and D30 front, both have 4.11 gears and ARB air lockers. He wants to sell the Jeep and is willing to trade me the axles for my axles and a little boot. I know the rear will need spring perches since the TJ is coil sprung in the rear but after that I'm just guessing. Thanks guys.

[quote=BeepBeepGoJeep;9666698]LOL heres how I see it....arguing over the internet is like being in the special olympics....even if you win you're still retarded.[/quote]
Crazystang89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2011, 08:32 PM   #2
LilyBayXJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I believe that other than the spring perches everything else should by interchangable.
1983 CJ-5 - Stock - Sold
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-tech-boot-camp-must-read-new-tj-owners-forum-members-722109/"]TJ Boot Camp[/URL]
LilyBayXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2011, 08:35 PM   #3
BriansCJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

The front will bolt in, but I would just take the ARB and keep your HP housing.

The rear will neew new perches, why not just look for an XJ D44 for like $300.

IMO, its not worth it to swap any XJ axle into a TJ unless its a D44.
Unread 05-19-2011, 08:47 PM   #4
Crazystang89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Well the thing is is he is selling the TJ. He doesn't plan to get a premium for the gears and lockers since the kind of people that are interested in the Jeep don't know a D44 or ARB lockers from a hole in the ground. So the plan was to give him a few hundred bucks ($500) AND put my axles under the TJ and then sell it with no one being the wiser. Then I throw those axles under my XJ and save the money of a D44, two regears, and the purchase and installation of the lockers. This doesn't sound like a good idea? I figured I'd be saving at least $2000 in parts and labor for just a little bit of fab work. (Oh, and I forgot about the TJ being low pinion front so we'll figure around that.)

[quote=BeepBeepGoJeep;9666698]LOL heres how I see it....arguing over the internet is like being in the special olympics....even if you win you're still retarded.[/quote]
Crazystang89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2011, 10:28 PM   #5
tbburg
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The XJ/TJ D-44 is a small tube -44, so you can in theory carefully cut the spring perches and control arm/track bar brackets off the -44 and weld them onto your d-35. If you make a jig linking all the pickup points and the pinion, it would make the transfer technically pretty easy. Lot of work though. Depending on the price at JYs around you, it might be easier to get a TJ D-35 from a junk yard that matches your front axle gearing and swap that in.

Regardless, when you finish, you have one more problem. The D-35 drive shaft is 1" longer then the -44 'shaft. It might work on the TJ long enough to sell it, but a pretty crappy thing to do,... If you buy a TJ axle, you can get the shaft with it. Not a problem for your rig, as the XJ shaft can be cut/shortened.

If you're not planning to go any higher then 3" lift, the LP front axle won't make much difference in the XJ. The HP axle might have a clearance issue in a TJ unless it's carrying some lift. Unfortunately, you can't swap the gears between axles, nor can you swap carriers and put the ARB into your XJ(unless you drop to 4:10 gears in your axle).

If you have a reasonable JY around you, it might be easier to buy an axle set from a TJ, swap them out on your buddy's rig, then do whatever mods you need/want to fit the -33/-44/arbs combo into your XJ.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.