Would like some instruction or recommendation for fender cutting/bending "96 XJ" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Would like some instruction or recommendation for fender cutting/bending "96 XJ"

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LinePoison Spyder JK Body Mounted Tire CarrierBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Ki

Unread 01-23-2015, 11:24 PM   #1
bigjoe347

Would like some instruction or recommendation for fender cutting/bending "96 XJ"

Recently posted about my added wheel spacers on my budget build. My jeep currently sits on a 3.5 Rough country lift and has 31-10.5-15's on stock rims.

I bought wheel spacers and went a bit overkill on it and find myself having to cut or fold the fenders which was a plan down the road.

Had to get wheel spacers to prevent rubbing, The inner right tire was getting some narly rub against side wall, it actually rubbed enough over two trips to flatten out the lettering on tire so I had reason for concern.

As of the time being I cannot afford the bushwacker fenders so I've been researching a bit on fender cutting and bending, I see alot of cutting and a lot of bends, People like bends to hide the sheet metal, others cut and leave it raw. I think that a bend would be the best bet due to the fact im not covering it right away. Want a few pointers on how high to cut, Should I go to the top of the wheel well or what.

MY current issue is that in flex, the rear of the front tire will hit the rear of the front fender.

I'm not rushing into this, tomorrow a start is to remove the flares and see where im at with flex, Really considering to fold the excess.

Any pointers?

"Dont judge, cant afford fancy dancy fenders, just here for input."

Ill be collecting photos to update

bigjoe347 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 05:10 AM   #2
Motorcharge
I know more than you.

1991 MJ Comanche 

You should only need minor trimming for 31s. Cut the front where the top of the flares were and cut the front of the fender off flush with the bumper and remove that portion along with the inner fender bracket.

In the rear you can feel the dimples where the spot welds hold the quarter to the wheel well. Cut between the dimples but not past them then fold the tabs over.

In the front you'll find a similar seam behind the fender liner right in the middle of the wheel well. Cut it the same as the rear and hammer it flat. Spray anywhere you cut with a rubberized undercoating to prevent rust.

You also need to extend your bumpstops to limit up travel to keep anything from rubbing. I ran 33x12.5s on 2.5 lift and didn't rub anything trimmed like that and properly bumpstopped.

The trimming I described isn't nearly as extreme as it sounds and shouldn't take very long. Did the same on my MJ last weekend in about 45 minutes. Should give you plenty of room and flatter wheel wells up front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
Motorcharge is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 06:55 AM   #3
chris87xj
JF Admin

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Here's a good write-up on doing the rear. Write Up: Cutting & Folding Rear Fenders
The front are a lot easier and generally just trimmed back plus the inner sheet metal joining folded over like MC said.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.