JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/)
-   -   Is it worth the hassle? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/worth-hassle-1511835/)

Inglburt 04-20-2013 05:15 AM

Is it worth the hassle?

Hi all, I've actually been a member here for a few years but haven't been on for a while cause I sold my Jeep. But now I have an 87 Cherokee. I bought it but now I'm wondering if I should just run a away.

Here's a little about it.

It has a Rubicon Express in the front, some custom looking leafs in the back. Spicer drive lines, CV in the rear. Can't find my SYE online anywhere. It's leaking like a sieve out of the rear, not the shaft seal.
ARB front and rear, Rear needs O rings. Yukon 4:56 gears, rear end howls some. Rear axle seals leak, possibly because of the ARB. Chromolly axles (not verified). No back brakes, miscellaneous wiring issues and useless/mystery wires every where. Thor armor on rear panels. Noisy engine that has a really annoying idle issue, I'm thinking a couple loose rod bearings. AW4 that does ok, but definitely has some "character". 1 ton steering, but the frame was a little tweaked in the front because of no bumper or support ans has some plate welded to the "frame" to beef it up. I put a temporary cross member on the front to help. The body is kinda beat up and the carpet gets wet in the rain. Etc. Etc.

I'm into it for $3500 so far. Am I just throwing good money after bad? Should I just cut my losses and start over? I go back and forth on it all the time. It's such a Heep, but somehow I have grown attached to it.

Sorry so wordy, but there's actually a lot more I could say about it.

I'll try and get some pictures up. Thanks every one.

Motorcharge 04-20-2013 07:16 AM

Buy a cheap beater in good mechanical shape and swap everything over then scrap for cash whats left.

Inglburt 04-20-2013 01:24 PM

I've been thinking about that but honestly I don't think I'm quite that equipped or motivated, that's a big project. And all the suspension mounts are welded on the front of this thing.

Wmhurt 04-20-2013 03:21 PM

You could buy my pristine 98 limited for that kind on money and have a cherry.

mschi772 04-20-2013 03:46 PM

I really hate to say it, but this does sound like a bit of a lost cause. Maybe the best thing you can do at this point is to part it out either for yourself into another XJ or to others to try to recover some of the $.

Inglburt 04-20-2013 03:56 PM

6 Attachment(s)
It ain't pretty, but all I really want is reliable and fun. It will not be a DD

Inglburt 04-20-2013 04:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Can anybody identify this sye? I need a gasket, she's leaking out the back.

LimeLJ 04-20-2013 08:57 PM

It looks like a Rubicon Express RE1801.
http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Drivet...pn=R%2fERE1801

Inglburt 04-20-2013 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LimeLJ (Post 15324750)
It looks like a Rubicon Express RE1801.
http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Drivet...pn=R%2fERE1801

Very nice. Thank you very much.

Mike934 04-20-2013 09:24 PM

Hmm I have a sye and it doesn't look like that..I don't have the red flange...just the silver? Sorry to high jack..curious though cause I was getting ready to install it...

Inglburt 04-20-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike934 (Post 15324866)
Hmm I have a sye and it doesn't look like that..I don't have the red flange...just the silver? Sorry to high jack..curious though cause I was getting ready to install it...

Can you show me some better pictures while you have it unistalled? Mine is leaking from the end, looks like around the bolt, and I'm not sure what is supposed to seal it to begin with. O ring, gasket, etc?
Maybe silcon wold fix it, I dunno

LimeLJ 04-20-2013 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inglburt (Post 15325096)
Can you show me some better pictures while you have it unistalled? Mine is leaking from the end, looks like around the bolt, and I'm not sure what is supposed to seal it to begin with. O ring, gasket, etc?

Ultra Black RTV will take care of it.

Mike934 04-20-2013 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inglburt (Post 15325096)

In the link posted, there's a seal. I believe that's your issue & answers my question. The older cases are sealed by the yoke I was told..so the red flange holds a seal to prevent leaking. My case in my 90 is from a 99..so I have no seal flange because it has a separate seal on the output already.

At least this is how it was explained to me? Ill call re on Monday for confirmation.

Mike934 04-20-2013 11:23 PM

So I guess you should call re to lol..ask for that seal. They sell it separate.

Inglburt 04-21-2013 12:21 AM

I will cause I can't find it online so far. Mine does use the output seal too, and the one at the bolt. I'm thinking it can't be too different from yours.

The time now is 06:27 PM.