Is it worth converting a 79 dana 44 hp - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Is it worth converting a 79 dana 44 hp

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 10-28-2014, 10:12 AM   #1
zoon42
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Is it worth converting a 79 dana 44 hp

I'm looking at converting a 79 ford Dana 44 hp off an f250 to fit my xj. Trying to convince my self it's worth it. Want to run 4.88 with 35's medium use wheeling. Is it really that big of an upgrade from the hp 30 I have? I know the bigger ring gear and locking hubs are a plus but the the u joints and ball joints seem pretty much the same. I want to know what kind of luck people have had with this setup?

Unread 10-29-2014, 08:58 AM   #2
937Comanche
1991 MJ Comanche 

I properly modded High pinion D30 is probably equal to a stock LP D44. The HP D44 raises the bar, though. Remember that not all D44 tubes are created equal with the HD versions often having a thicker axle tube as well. Tube thickness is an issue on the D30 but trussing or sleeving, both relatively low cost options, can help there. Your 2000's factory front axle is probably a low pinion D30 that is measurably weaker than the high pinion designs used prior to 2000. Note that the TJ also uses the low pinion design as well, though.

Many, many jeepers run 35's with big u-joint axle shafts ( preferably chromo) and trussing/gusseting on a HP D30. As you are looking at re-gearing as well if you do stick with the D30 please look into spending a $100 or so on an earlier HP D30 as the strength upgrade is worth the cost. Compare the cost of doing these upgrades to your current axle versus buying a HP D44 and then modifying it to work with your XJ suspension and steering. Remember to factor in at least matching the rear lug pattern if not the width, as well, to the price of the D44.

That the HP F250 D44 is stronger is a given. If it is worth the price difference you might find between the two options is something that only you can decide.
Unread 10-29-2014, 02:44 PM   #3
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

^what he said.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't that a full width axle? that's another thing to consider
Unread 10-29-2014, 07:46 PM   #4
zoon42
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The plan was to narrow it to 81' wagoneer width, using bronco hubs on Chevy small bearing spindles and outer knuckles. Putting a nine inch in the rear.
Unread 10-29-2014, 07:53 PM   #5
zoon42
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have actually already upgraded to the HP 30. And constantly burn up u joints. I've done a Dana 60 builds for a few people already and am just not looking to go that heavy here. I mainly wanted the 44 for the locking hubs and lugs to match a 9. Weight was a thought to. As I still want it to be a driver now and then.
Unread 10-30-2014, 09:46 AM   #6
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like you know what you want to do then
Unread 10-30-2014, 12:10 PM   #7
amerbritcan

Yeah sounds like you've thought this through. Give'er. Post pics in process / after. I love full width builds.
amerbritcan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2014, 01:39 PM   #8
937Comanche
1991 MJ Comanche 

Oh. So the HPD44 is from a 150 and not a 250. Their are soem issues with the radius arm suspension mounts on that year of 150 D44 that you may want to research to see if they matter to you. But of you need more axle and don't want to go to a D60 then a HP D44 or later D50 Ford are about your options.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.