Witch lift kit should I choose!? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Witch lift kit should I choose!?

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!KOR Labor Week Sale and Giveaway

Unread 01-15-2014, 08:40 PM   #1
Amcxjkid
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Witch lift kit should I choose!?

I'm new to this forum but whenever I have a question, this forum always answers it! So I want to put a Lift kit on my 00 xj, I have one kit picked out but I am not sure if it's the best for me. I am looking at a rough country 4.5 x series suspension lift, it's on the cheaper side and will add a couple inches to my jeep and yes I am a off-roader and put my stock xj through its paces. Now I would like to be able to haul cars such as a 240sx witch weighs in around 2.5-3 thousand pounds and another 1-1.5 thousand pound Trailer witch all come to around 4.5. (Will have transmission cooler, trailer brakes). So is there something I need to look out for? Adding leafs to the lift kit? Anything will help me out! Thanks!

Amcxjkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2014, 04:23 PM   #2
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon

1998 XJ Cherokee 

A regear may be necessary if your going with bigger tires the 3:55 gears are dogs with 33"tires.
Unread 01-16-2014, 04:30 PM   #3
Amcxjkid
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98muddyjeep
A regear may be necessary if your going with bigger tires the 3:55 gears are dogs with 33"tires.
Alright that sounds good and doable!
Unread 01-18-2014, 04:56 PM   #4
Xride

I would personally not tow a car with an XJ. Lets say 4500lbs. Car haulers are all tongue heavy when loaded, worse if you don't back on. The short wheel base is terrible for tongue weight, steering will feel floaty, it'll feel under powered. And remember, you'll need a WDH (weight distribution hitch).
You'll be in for around 700lbs of tongue weight at least. So you could be at or over your GVWR. (Only important if you want to stay in the law, if you are in an accident, and it is determined you are over your GVWR you will be at fault even when you are not, and injuries could be criminal negligence) So keep that in mind.
If you are running surge brakes on the trailer you will be pushed all over the place, not that you will have much steering anyways. Electronic brakes with a controller would sure help. But the brakes on the XJ suck as is. And over using the trailer brakes is dangerous too.

And as mentioned you will probably have to regear, but it'll still put a lot of strain to pull that trailer. At least there isn't much frontal area with a car hauler to add a lot of drag.
I have pulled 3400lbs with my XJ once, it was terrible.
Unread 01-18-2014, 05:20 PM   #5
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

x2 on towing

XJs are horribly over rated for towing capacity and can't realistically control a trailer with a car on it. Get a full size truck if you want to tow cars and it gives you the ability to tow your XJ to trails as well which is nice because you don't have to worry about getting home if you break **** on the trail.
Unread 01-18-2014, 10:50 PM   #6
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

x3 I would not use an XJ as a car hauler.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
Congratulations Spokes as our August COTM!!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2014, 04:20 AM   #7
bkarm
1996 XJ Cherokee 

went and picked up a project XJ with my buddies stock XJ using a car dolly no issues!
Unread 01-19-2014, 07:12 AM   #8
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkarm View Post
went and picked up a project XJ with my buddies stock XJ using a car dolly no issues!
How far was it towed and over what kind of terrain?
Unread 01-19-2014, 10:32 AM   #9
Xride

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkarm View Post
You are also using a dolly.... not a flat deck car hauler. A dolly should have almost no tongue weight.

Also a lot of people always say the XJ tows fine but have no real towing experience to compare to.
My XJ towed my quad and small trailer fine, but it was under 100lbs tongue weight, and about 1100lbs total.

Tow that xj with a 1/2 ton even and compare how well the vehicles stop and handle hills.
Unread 01-19-2014, 04:34 PM   #10
Amcxjkid
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xride
I would personally not tow a car with an XJ. Lets say 4500lbs. Car haulers are all tongue heavy when loaded, worse if you don't back on. The short wheel base is terrible for tongue weight, steering will feel floaty, it'll feel under powered. And remember, you'll need a WDH (weight distribution hitch). You'll be in for around 700lbs of tongue weight at least. So you could be at or over your GVWR. (Only important if you want to stay in the law, if you are in an accident, and it is determined you are over your GVWR you will be at fault even when you are not, and injuries could be criminal negligence) So keep that in mind. If you are running surge brakes on the trailer you will be pushed all over the place, not that you will have much steering anyways. Electronic brakes with a controller would sure help. But the brakes on the XJ suck as is. And over using the trailer brakes is dangerous too. And as mentioned you will probably have to regear, but it'll still put a lot of strain to pull that trailer. At least there isn't much frontal area with a car hauler to add a lot of drag. I have pulled 3400lbs with my XJ once, it was terrible.
My dad used to pull a 23 foot bay liner with my moms 99 xj all the time and I know it had to weigh at least 3000 including trailer and it would also pull it out of the ramp with no problems at all.
Unread 01-19-2014, 04:36 PM   #11
Amcxjkid
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge
x2 on towing XJs are horribly over rated for towing capacity and can't realistically control a trailer with a car on it. Get a full size truck if you want to tow cars and it gives you the ability to tow your XJ to trails as well which is nice because you don't have to worry about getting home if you break **** on the trail.
I do, 2010 ram 1500. Soon going to be upgrading to a 2500. But thanks for the info!
Unread 01-19-2014, 04:39 PM   #12
Amcxjkid
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
You are also using a dolly.... not a flat deck car hauler. A dolly should have almost no tongue weight. Also a lot of people always say the XJ tows fine but have no real towing experience to compare to. My XJ towed my quad and small trailer fine, but it was under 100lbs tongue weight, and about 1100lbs total. Tow that xj with a 1/2 ton even and compare how well the vehicles stop and handle hills.
I have pulled my atv and trailer also and it did fine. And a Car dolly is an option too.
Unread 01-19-2014, 06:16 PM   #13
Xride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amcxjkid View Post
My dad used to pull a 23 foot bay liner with my moms 99 xj all the time and I know it had to weigh at least 3000 including trailer and it would also pull it out of the ramp with no problems at all.
My dad used to pull a 23' glasstron outboard with a 97 mercury mystique. It was probably 4k lbs.
Just because you can do it doesn't mean you should.
Unread 01-19-2014, 06:24 PM   #14
Amcxjkid
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
My dad used to pull a 23' glasstron outboard with a 97 mercury mystique. It was probably 4k lbs. Just because you can do it doesn't mean you should.
right I understand

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.