Winches? Needed or not? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Winches? Needed or not?

Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 03-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #1
aguelzo89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Winches? Needed or not?

Well im in a dilemma, I have finished all upgrade repairs and am now back on track with gathering my accessories, such as bumpers, and steel and what not. My question is, Are winches a nessesity for Jeeps? I know there always good to have but I would like one, but cannot justify having one since I dont wheel. Ive used my jeep mainly for winter purpouses and Im deciding weither or not to get a winch bumper or just say nay to it right now..

What are all of your thoughts about this? Is it a MUST HAVE?

aguelzo89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
NJXJ91
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I dont have one. A lot of people dont have one. Dont buy it if you dont need it. Especially since you said yourself you dont wheel and you cant justify for one. They have a purpose and are not just for looks.
NJXJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 02:43 PM   #3
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

if you're not going to use it there is no point in lugging around an expensive 80lb winch on the front bumper. Since you dont wheel spend the money on a roadside assistance service if you worried about getting stuck in ditches and snow drifts.
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguelzo89 View Post
Well im in a dilemma, I have finished all upgrade repairs and am now back on track with gathering my accessories, such as bumpers, and steel and what not. My question is, Are winches a nessesity for Jeeps? I know there always good to have but I would like one, but cannot justify having one since I dont wheel. Ive used my jeep mainly for winter purpouses and Im deciding weither or not to get a winch bumper or just say nay to it right now..

If you don't wheel, why would you need one?
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 02:45 PM   #5
aguelzo89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I just thought that it might be one of those situations where its better to have it and not use it then need it and not have it ya know?
Unread 03-25-2013, 03:15 PM   #6
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

You're 24, so I'm assuming you've been driving for 8 years now. At any point during those 8 years have you ever felt like you needed a winch?
Unread 03-25-2013, 03:22 PM   #7
aguelzo89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

LMAO, like maybe 2-3 times haha but you have a very valid point. I was also thinking there really isn't a valid point to me having one besides to winch others out of snow ditches... I mean if need be I can go the high lift route and use some straps. A lot cheaper and im sure that would get me out of any tangle that I might never get in.

Thanks for the insight on this stuff guys, It's appreciated. I just see a lot of cherokee's with winches around here and wonder why they have them cause there really isnt anywhere to wheel in this portion of the state. I guess ya'll saved me from buying one just to "be like the others".
Unread 03-25-2013, 10:32 PM   #8
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I have had my winch on my Xj for a year now I have only used it to free myself one time. Now I have used it a bunch this winter winching rigs sections of trails they could not make it up , used it for a few double winch pulls to pull a jeep up a hill/ prevent roll over at the same time. Used it to pull stumps out of the ground and move boulders around my yard. Pulled down the shed with it.

Sent from iPhoneusing JeepForum
Unread 03-26-2013, 03:39 PM   #9
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguelzo89 View Post

There's your answer

Seriously though, I had one on my Wrangler and put one on my XJ. I do some off roading, but also need one for utility work while clearing campsites, etc. It's more problematic to put one on your XJ than on a wrangler due to the difference between unibody (xj) and frame (wrangler). You have to do some reenforcing on the XJ. This is usually included with your higher end bumpers, but it does affect cost.

Unread 03-26-2013, 05:54 PM   #10
jakecarder
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have a winch that I took off my first wrangler. Ive only used it once and it was pulling a buddy. But my highlift staysunder my seat and ive used it many numerous times. People with xjs always post where to mount the huge heavy thing but they don't realize how easy it comes apart and just lays under the rear seat.
jakecarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 05:59 PM   #11
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakecarder View Post
I have a winch that I took off my first wrangler. Ive only used it once and it was pulling a buddy. But my highlift staysunder my seat and ive used it many numerous times. People with xjs always post where to mount the huge heavy thing but they don't realize how easy it comes apart and just lays under the rear seat.
The hi-lift has its place as being used for a winch. Like the OP, it would get him out of a basic jam (if needed), but its a long hard way of doing it. Not saying it doesn't work, but its a tiring job and you need the right add-ons to make it work more efficiently.

For the OP, heres a write-up to securely mount the jack under the seat.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.