Winch vs. Regear - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Winch vs. Regear

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 10-31-2012, 11:26 AM   #1
panamah_r3d
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Winch vs. Regear

So I'm to the point where I've done EVERYTHING wrong in building my jeep and now I'm going back (out of college) and am starting to build things up as they should be.

I've had a winch bumper on my jeep pretty much since the day I lifted it and never got around to buying a winch. I mildly offroad and don't see me using it very much but having to have a tow strap and mess with a highlift if I get stuck is just not apealing to me (done it to many times already).

But I'm sitting on 33's right now with the 8.25 in the rear and D30 up front and don't plan to go any higher (yea right we've all said this ). And I'm trying to decide what would be the better option to do first.

My question to everyone is what would you do? Regear or buy the winch.

Now I know that everyone will immediately say the same thing "regear." BUT this is not my daily driver, it is my weekend warrior that I don't drive very much.

I would either be looking at doing the 4.88 swap or putting 4.56's in.

!don't hug that tree...I'm about to run it over!
panamah_r3d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2012, 11:47 AM   #2
mountainjock
1988 XJ Cherokee 

When I think of mild off roading I would not think a winch to be needed. However it sounds as if you have gotten stuck a bunch. What do you drive it for on the weekends? Just to get to the trail? Maybe re-gear with a locker or two??
4.0 I6
mountainjock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2012, 12:03 PM   #3
xjinga
2000 XJ Cherokee 

It sounds like you have a concern about being able to deal with extracting a stuck vehicle, so which choice would best allow you to do that.....mounting a winch or re-gearing?
xjinga is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2012, 12:17 PM   #4
Planetcat
2004 WJ 

If you never wheel by yourself, do the gears. If you wheel a lot by your self and could possibly get stuck in the winter far back from help, I'd get the winch.
Unread 10-31-2012, 01:25 PM   #5
panamah_r3d
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjock View Post
When I think of mild off roading I would not think a winch to be needed. However it sounds as if you have gotten stuck a bunch. What do you drive it for on the weekends? Just to get to the trail? Maybe re-gear with a locker or two??
When I say mild I guess it could be thought of differently ha. And its not that I've gotten stuck alot (i have but ya know) but I've have to pull my buddies out also and a winch would have been nice.

I use it not just to get to the trails but I wheel it pretty good. I'm not one to back down unless I see how deep something is....and usually at that time thats a little to late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjinga View Post
It sounds like you have a concern about being able to deal with extracting a stuck vehicle, so which choice would best allow you to do that.....mounting a winch or re-gearing?
I realize to get unstuck the best option is the winch. But I guess I've heard so many people talk about re-gearing and making it sound like your unstoppable when you re-gear. That is what I am worried about and the fact that I would test that to much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planetcat View Post
If you never wheel by yourself, do the gears. If you wheel a lot by your self and could possibly get stuck in the winter far back from help, I'd get the winch.
This is what I am leaning towards. As I said I used to pull buddies and myself out but now that I graduated college and moved away from home it seems that I'm out with the old lady a lot more and are by ourselves most of the time. We don't know to many people to go wheeling with around here.

Thanks for your input! Really appreciate it!
!don't hug that tree...I'm about to run it over!
panamah_r3d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2012, 01:15 AM   #6
chris87xj

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Proper gearing brings benefits every time you drive it.
A winch brings less frequent benefits, but in a bigger way when it does.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.