Wife's winter driver build thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Wife's winter driver build thread

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesThe Retrofit Source / JW Speaker LED Headlight GROUP BUY!

Unread 01-12-2011, 03:57 PM   #1
daveshan
Feeding the money pits

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Wife's winter driver build thread

Ok this "build" may make the purists a bit sick to their stomachs, just wanted to warn you up front. Before you flame me keep in mine that this Jeep's job is to get my wife to and from town safely in any conditions that winter at 7200' in Colorado can throw at her.

She started with this, an '07 Sahara, tow package (4.10s) loaded with everything but the MyGig which was not available when we bought it.

After driving my new to me '98 XJ she decided to get rid of the JK and buy these. An '05 Miata we found that was a vacation home car with 4800 miles on it and an '00 XJ with 120k on it. I wanted a Limited with ABS/242 combo but couldn't find one for her before winter.

BB/AAL with 235/75/17 Big-O ATs on it, ABS but no 242. I'm probably the first guy in XJ buying history to look under one and be glad to see a D-35 with tone rings.

The next post will deal with a 231->242 swap.

'01 TJ Sahara
'98 XJ Sport
'00 XJ Wife's ride
Gone but not forgotten
'56CJ, '61 Wagon, '51 Pickup, '07 JK 4dr

daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2011, 04:13 PM   #2
daveshan
Feeding the money pits

2001 TJ Wrangler 

231->242 Swap

My friend who also dumped a JK for an XJ ended up going to the Front Range and finding a limited with a 242 in it, he is going 35"s so he wanted a 231, HMMMM let's make a deal.

The swap has been gone over several times, and I found conflicting information. Here's what I learned.

You need

1. A 242 (or a 231 if going that way)
2. The shift plate from the donor
3. The shift bezel from the donor
4. The plug and some wiring from the donor

If you're going 231->242 you need to find the wire for the "Full Time" light
If you're lucky enough to have a 2000/2001 it's right here

'99 and earlier do not have this jumper,

If you cut right above the plugs you will find 3 wires you can splice your donated 242 plug to. I had heard for the pre '00 XJs that the "Full Time" wire could be found in a plug just in front of the firewall by the auto trans fill tube, I traced the sheathed bundle from the TC of my '98 up to the plug and did not see an extra wire on the other side of the plug, glad I was doing this on a later vehicle as my wife specifically said she wanted the light.

The shift gate

The shift gate for a 231 has 1 3/8" between A and B

The shift gate for a 242 has 1" between A and B

You will NOT be able to get a proper adjustment with the wrong gate no matter which way you are going, get the gate with the other stuff.

I did not need the driveshaft that Richard gave me with the 242 even though a tape measure showed the 242 is a bit longer, in fact the shaft that came from the 242 equipped XJ was 1/4" longer than mine.

Next up compass and exterior temp.

'01 TJ Sahara
'98 XJ Sport
'00 XJ Wife's ride
Gone but not forgotten

Unread 01-12-2011, 04:16 PM   #3
RedZJ
1996 ZJ 

Good Choice. Welcome to the uni-frame world xD
RedZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2011, 04:26 PM   #4
daveshan
Feeding the money pits

2001 TJ Wrangler 

compas/temp

Wife missed the compass/temp feature the JK had, finding an overhead console is tough out in the sticks so I ordered a Gentex GENK20A Auto Dimming Mirror W/compass Temperature from Amazon. You can find these in most modern cars if you have junkyards near by, we don't.

Sensor under the front bumper

Wires for sensor through a convenient grommet.

Brought the wires all down by the fuse box, you can see the "fish tape" (coat hanger) I used to fish the wire from the sensor through the grommet and down to the rest of the harness.

Routing the wires from the mirror is simple, remove the visor clip and visor, A-piller trim needs to be pulled away a bit and access is easy.

The finished product. This mirror is completely self calibrating, the compass was working before we hit the highway a few miles from the house.

'01 TJ Sahara
'98 XJ Sport
'00 XJ Wife's ride
Gone but not forgotten

Unread 01-12-2011, 04:36 PM   #5
daveshan
Feeding the money pits

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Tires

I've tried a few tires up here, I run BFG AT/KOs on mine, the wife gets every advantage possible so the Big-O ATs were taken off before the first hint of snow and I put some Toyo Open Country G-02 dedicated snow tires on her XJ in the 235/75/15 flavor. Our climate up here is such that ice is a big factor on our roads, thaw during the day then a quick freeze as soon as the sun goes down.

You can't beat the traction on packed snow and even ice that these things have. The rubber has ground up walnut shells in it, almost like little studs, after I go 33" KM2s next year I'm getting a set for mine.

OK here's where the purists are going to get sick a little. Nothing ruins a wife's day like driving over 5 miles of wet, slushy dirt roads into town then getting out of her vehicle only to get her clothes muddy with all the gunk on the side of her vehicle.

SOOOOO, I got her . . . . . . . . .

Yes those are mudflaps, no I'm not turning in my man card, anyone who doesn't know the old saying when the wife's not happy no one's happy should learn it. I have to add a bit to the bottom of the front ones but so far they're working pretty well, and they say "Jeep" on them so they must be OK right?

'01 TJ Sahara
'98 XJ Sport
'00 XJ Wife's ride
Gone but not forgotten

Unread 01-12-2011, 05:07 PM   #6
99goldxj
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I have Big O A/T's and have yet to have a problem on snow. And nice build.

"but yeah i guess if i did it all over, i would have hit her."

[QUOTE=99XJBeast;11291646]its running like a raped ape on steroids.[/QUOTE]

1999 XJ. 235 Big O AT's. Clear bumper and side markers. 6.5 inch speakers in rear. Soon to be all LED bulbs (need turn signal flasher and led bulbs and gauge lights).
99goldxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2011, 08:14 PM   #7
FairlanePhil
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Dave,

Where did you get the mudflaps at? Dealer?
I am thinking of getting a set for my XJ for winter. My Blue Jeep is pure white from road salt.
A set may lengthen the life of this thing some.

I may even pull the flares and add em so the salt doesn't get trapped
Unread 01-12-2011, 08:34 PM   #8
daveshan
Feeding the money pits

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Jeepsareus Molded splash guards, $20/set plus shipping.

Attached with #12 sheet metal screws and washers into the flares.

I'll probably find some flexible rubber or something to add to the bottoms of the front ones to at least get the splash back past the driver's door.

Also available in No Logo.

'01 TJ Sahara
'98 XJ Sport
'00 XJ Wife's ride
Gone but not forgotten

Unread 01-12-2011, 08:38 PM   #9
JTM1
1988 XJ Cherokee 

looks good, and I know all about doing what you can to keep a happy wife.
JTM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2011, 08:25 AM   #10
Scott00TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for posting this. This will help me out with my 231 > 242 swap this weekend.
Scott00TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2011, 09:24 AM   #11
daveshan
Feeding the money pits

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Cool glad it will help. From your profile it looks like you're putting a 242 in a TJ, sounds like a good improvement for those of us who deal with varied winter driving conditions. Let me know what you end up doing for a shift indicator, I don't know if the plastic piece with the ranges from an XJ will come out and go into the hole for a TJ.

I do know the consoles are different enough that the entire pop out trim for the XJ TC shifter won't work.

'01 TJ Sahara
'98 XJ Sport
'00 XJ Wife's ride
Gone but not forgotten

Unread 02-20-2011, 02:24 PM   #12
Scott00TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshan View Post
Cool glad it will help. From your profile it looks like you're putting a 242 in a TJ, sounds like a good improvement for those of us who deal with varied winter driving conditions. Let me know what you end up doing for a shift indicator, I don't know if the plastic piece with the ranges from an XJ will come out and go into the hole for a TJ.

I do know the consoles are different enough that the entire pop out trim for the XJ TC shifter won't work.
This time around I am swapping a 242 for the 231 on my '99XJ, but I did put a 242 in my TJ a couple years ago.
Scott00TJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.