WHY do people suck at driving?!?! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > WHY do people suck at driving?!?!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! 2 door JK Recruit Half hardtop Kits Now available!

Unread 06-02-2015, 09:15 AM   #1
Max78
1992 XJ Cherokee 

WHY do people suck at driving?!?!

So ya, I'm not sure what is up with all these BAD drivers lately but they finally got me!

I was going straight through a green light in a far left hand lane on a 3 lane (my direction) road, well this guy turns right at the intersection sweeps all 3 lanes and side swipes me as I pass because he is going 20mph in a 45mph zone. What the hell!!!

No citations issued because its a he said she said and there is no evidence to support either person. . . The guy that hit me was late 70 ish, and he was listening to an Ipod with ear buds in when he swiped me. I tried to bring the ear buds to attention but no one seemed to care. . .

Now I hope my insurance doesn't screw me over like last time!

But for what everyone came here for, damage pics!! Only minor though.

Clarification because I suck at explaining. . .

Unread 06-02-2015, 11:23 AM   #2
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I was taught that you should always turn into the nearest lane and NEVER cross lanes when making a turn. Old man should have turned right into the right lane then changed lanes later.

Sent from my phone.
Unread 06-02-2015, 12:00 PM   #3
Max78
1992 XJ Cherokee 

His turn lane was marked making it illegal for him to sweep into my lane, but its still his word against mine. . .
Unread 06-02-2015, 05:08 PM   #4
wizardPC
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I'm not sure I understand what happened.

You're in the LEFTMOST lane.

He turns RIGHT.

And hits your RIGHT side?
lolwut.jpg  
Unread 06-02-2015, 05:12 PM   #5
Motorcharge
Bandeded

1991 MJ Comanche 

It makes perfect sense. The guy turning turned right to head the same direction as the OP and instead of staying on the inside lane he swung wide into the OPs lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2015, 05:13 PM   #6
Motorcharge
Bandeded

1991 MJ Comanche 

On the plus side OP the damage could have been a lot worse. Quick coat of paint on that flare should make it look brand new and the dent doesn't look bad enough that a paintless dent removal company can't fix it or at least make it a lot less obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2015, 05:55 PM   #7
wizardPC
1998 XJ Cherokee 

You ever written a response, then later realized you missed a word in the thing you've responded to that totally invalidates what you said and makes you feel like a *******?

Guy was turning FROM the intersection, not INTO the intersection.
Unread 06-02-2015, 08:03 PM   #8
Max78
1992 XJ Cherokee 

haha, ya i went back and read what I typed and thought wtf was I thinking? I clarified for those who did quite get it. . .

I'm just glad it wasn't worse. I'll deal with the scuff, its not that bad just annoying. We will see how much its going to cost to get it fixed but it will probably be too much to to be worth it.
Unread 06-02-2015, 09:51 PM   #9
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
I was taught that you should always turn into the nearest lane and NEVER cross lanes when making a turn. Old man should have turned right into the right lane then changed lanes later.
That's the law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max78 View Post
haha, ya i went back and read what I typed and thought wtf was I thinking? I clarified for those who did quite get it. . .

I'm just glad it wasn't worse. I'll deal with the scuff, its not that bad just annoying. We will see how much its going to cost to get it fixed but it will probably be too much to to be worth it.
Depends on your definition of "fixed" but taking to a shop wouldn't be in my definition. If it were me I wouldn't likely do anything and if no tickets were issued then I wouldn't even bring it up with my insurance.

Build Thread WK
Other Build Thread XJ
September 2013/January 2015 COTM
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2015, 10:31 PM   #10
Max78
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
That's the law.

Depends on your definition of "fixed" but taking to a shop wouldn't be in my definition. If it were me I wouldn't likely do anything and if no tickets were issued then I wouldn't even bring it up with my insurance.

Well he was driving a rental and neither party where found at fault so I'm positive they are going to try and collect from my insurance.
Unread 06-03-2015, 04:48 AM   #11
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
That's the law.
Tell that to the hundreds of people who break that law every day. If it's not enforced, it may as well not be a law. One might say that it's one of those laws that exists only to be enforced when a crash or some other "call the police" situation occurs, but clearly the cops have no interest even when they are called to the scene of a crash caused by disregard for this exact "law." I'd love to hear how the cops think it might NOT be the old man's fault. I want to hear what other scenario is possible in their minds that makes this a "he said" situation.
Unread 06-03-2015, 09:29 AM   #12
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Well he was driving a rental and neither party where found at fault so I'm positive they are going to try and collect from my insurance.
With no fault assigned from PD I find it hard to believe your insurance company is just gonna lay down..........If the dude driving the rental didn't pay the extra for rental insurance then it's on him and his insurance company. Again, without a citation stating you are at fault I seriously doubt your insurance company is going to pony up for damage to a rental vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
Tell that to the hundreds of people who break that law every day. If it's not enforced, it may as well not be a law. One might say that it's one of those laws that exists only to be enforced when a crash or some other "call the police" situation occurs, but clearly the cops have no interest even when they are called to the scene of a crash caused by disregard for this exact "law." I'd love to hear how the cops think it might NOT be the old man's fault. I want to hear what other scenario is possible in their minds that makes this a "he said" situation.
Ditto

Build Thread WK
Other Build Thread XJ
Unread 06-03-2015, 09:57 PM   #13
Max78
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Well I lost ALL faith in my insurance company when my wife got T-boned at an intersection because some stupid kid went straight in a turn lane blinker on and all. The skid marks supported my wife's claims and everything but the cops where there long enough to move the cars out of the intersection write a short report and then left. No one was found at fault yet my insurance bent over backwards for the kid and shafted us with a totaled car and refused to even attempt to review the situation.
Unread 06-05-2015, 05:48 AM   #14
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Well I lost ALL faith in my insurance company when my wife got T-boned at an intersection because some stupid kid went straight in a turn lane blinker on and all. The skid marks supported my wife's claims and everything but the cops where there long enough to move the cars out of the intersection write a short report and then left. No one was found at fault yet my insurance bent over backwards for the kid and shafted us with a totaled car and refused to even attempt to review the situation.
........and you kept that insurance company?

Build Thread WK
Other Build Thread XJ
Unread 06-05-2015, 07:51 AM   #15
Max78
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I know it doesn't make any sense.

My house is tied into it and my Wife disagrees with changing because of it being too much of a hassle. . . If they do screw us on this one I will change once and for all though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.