Why do my o2 sensors keep going bad? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Why do my o2 sensors keep going bad?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNew jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Reply
Unread 01-24-2014, 08:24 PM   #1
Amcxjkid
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Posts: 17
Why do my o2 sensors keep going bad?

So last summer my check engine light came on and I knew what was and I had it scanned to be sure and sure enough it was sensor 2, replaced it and a few weeks later engine light came back on, ok so had it scanned again and came back to sensor 1 and replaced that one to. Well, few months later I was doing some snow wheelin and also hauled a light load of wood to my buddy's and she was running a bit hot but I knew it would be fine. Sure enough I was on my way home and check engine light came back on and now one or both of them are dead again. I'm getting 12.8 MPG and I'm really sick of dumping $160 bucks in o2 sensors in it. Anyone had the same problem or know what I need to do to keep the sensors good?

Also I did out a cheap cherry bomb turbo exhuast in after the cat (obviously) would this maybe have something to do with it? Thanks!

Amcxjkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2014, 08:31 PM   #2
PaYankee
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Newnan, GA
Posts: 230
Why so much? O2 sensors are $36 from rockauto. I replaced my upstream a year ago and have not had a problem. Still have the factory downstream.
__________________
99 xj 2wd/94xj 4wd np231 3lift
PaYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2014, 08:33 PM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.
 
CJ7-Tim's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: out in the garage - Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 21,629
What brand O2 sensors ? Universal fit, or direct fit ?

O2 sensor failure can be a faulty heater element, or from running too rich or too lean. A head gasket failure and exposure to steaming coolant can kill a sensor. Some RTV silicone sealants can cause O2 sensor failure. A failed O2 sensor can cause poor gas mileage (1/3 to ½ drop), rough running or idle, stalling and stumbling, with black smoke.

Is your 0331 head cracked ?
__________________
.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2014, 08:42 PM   #4
Amcxjkid
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim
What brand O2 sensors ? Universal fit, or direct fit ? O2 sensor failure can be a faulty heater element, or from running too rich or too lean. A head gasket failure and exposure to steaming coolant can kill a sensor. Some RTV silicone sealants can cause O2 sensor failure. A failed O2 sensor can cause poor gas mileage (1/3 to ½ drop), rough running or idle, stalling and stumbling, with black smoke. Is your 0331 head cracked ?
Bosch direct fit. I haven't checked my head yet but I thought only the 2001's cracked? This summer I'm doing a full build stroker for it so if it's a cracked head I'll leave them.
Amcxjkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2014, 08:43 PM   #5
Amcxjkid
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaYankee
Why so much? O2 sensors are $36 from rockauto. I replaced my upstream a year ago and have not had a problem. Still have the factory downstream.
they were around $60 my dad picked them up without any of my input haha.
Amcxjkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2014, 09:09 PM   #6
PaYankee
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Newnan, GA
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amcxjkid
they were around $60 my dad picked them up without any of my input haha.
I got the NTK upstream off rockauto. It's around $35 now.
__________________
99 xj 2wd/94xj 4wd np231 3lift
PaYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2014, 11:29 AM   #7
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.
 
CJ7-Tim's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: out in the garage - Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 21,629
Many Jeepers report that Bosch O2 sensors and Jeeps do not play well together. Jeep installed NTK/NGK O2 sensors, so should you.

If the head is not an 0331 TUPY it is more prone to cracking.
__________________
.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2014, 11:39 AM   #8
Amcxjkid
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim
Many Jeepers report that Bosch O2 sensors and Jeeps do not play well together. Jeep installed NTK/NGK O2 sensors, so should you. If the head is not an 0331 TUPY it is more prone to cracking.
ok I will pick some up. Thanks!
Amcxjkid is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.