Why didn't... - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 12-29-2016, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
SmashDN
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Why didn't...

...Jeep/Chysler ever put the 5.2L V8 engine that is/was in the dodge dakotas into a cherokee?

Dad has a 93 model dakota and the engine is absolutely incredible in terms of the power it makes, how smooth it runs and its size.

I am kind of secretly hoping the body collapses around the engine and I can get my hands on it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-29-2016, 11:31 AM
ou2mame

Could be weight issue, or fuel efficiency.. Plus it only has like 30 or so more horsepower, probably not worth the added expensive of redesign for the intended market.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 13 Old 12-29-2016, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
SmashDN
2001 XJ Cherokee 

30 or more hp stock. The 5.2 can be made peppier, than the 4.0. Where the 4.0 has been pushed to the near limit as it came stock the 5.2 has more room to grow.

Not that I am a speed freak or anything or a 4.0 hater, just find it interesting that a v8 was never offered as an option in an XJ. One thing that I really like about that engine in the dakota is the amount of space under the hood. Not sure if that is a product of having a true frame and sitting the engine lower in the frame rails or the fact that the 4.0 being a straight six is just tall. You could easily put another battery tray or two under the hood if you were inclined.

post #4 of 13 Old 12-29-2016, 07:19 PM
soapy

I have a couple of 1992 Dakotas with the V8 and they do run well. Much more power than the 4.0 in seat of the pants feel. My guess as to why the Cherokee did not get the V8 is because of the unibody design not being easy to upgrade for the added torque and weight of the V8.
post #5 of 13 Old 12-30-2016, 06:13 PM
ou2mame

I have had both and much prefer the 4.0. For the marginal increase of power, and decrease in fuel efficiency, it just doesn't make sense. Sure you can modify one more than the other, but car companies don't base their decisions on aftermarket support, they have to answer to dot, epa, etc. I would have liked to see an r/t with a 5.9 stuffed in there, if that's possible.. But the 5.2 was probably just too close. If you wanted a v8, you got the grand cherokee.

post #6 of 13 Old 12-31-2016, 07:57 AM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapy View Post
I have a couple of 1992 Dakotas with the V8 and they do run well. Much more power than the 4.0 in seat of the pants feel. My guess as to why the Cherokee did not get the V8 is because of the unibody design not being easy to upgrade for the added torque and weight of the V8.
No.....

The Grand Cherokee had the V8. They wanted people to have a reason to upgrade to it.

If you own a Renix Jeep, you'll want to check this out.

An index to over 30 write-ups can be found in the link below

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Jeep Technical Photos

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 Old 12-31-2016, 07:15 PM
Motorcharge

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
No.....

The Grand Cherokee had the V8. They wanted people to have a reason to upgrade to it.
Yep, when it came out the ZJ was the "upgraded" Cherokee. It was originally designed to replace the XJ, but sales were so good they introduced it as a new model instead.

|
|
|SOLD|
| June 2015 COTM |

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
post #8 of 13 Old 12-31-2016, 08:00 PM
XJ2Timer

A former Jeep engineer once posted on Allpar that the XJ was designed to be capable of taking the V8.
I believe he said that the motor mounts from a V8 ZJ were a direct fit on a XJ.

1st one- 1989 Cherokee Laredo. 12 great years
2nd one- 2001 Cherokee Limited. Got it before they were gone.
post #9 of 13 Old 01-08-2017, 07:44 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Actually, the XJ was designed for the 2.5L I4 and the GM 2.8L V6 and had to be redesigned just to squeeze the 4.0 L into it. Any available at the time Chrysler V-8 does not easily fit in the XJ and probably would not have positively changed the XJ's gas mpg's. Remember all the car companies had to and still have to increase the fleet average mpg's. Many V-8's weigh about the same as the 4.0 L. 4.0L = 515 lbs, small block Chevy = 575 lbs , Dodge 318 = 525 lbs.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #10 of 13 Old 01-08-2017, 08:01 AM
vlackattack
1997 ZJ 

Yeah, the 5.2 and 4.0 ZJs get pretty much the same gas mileage
post #11 of 13 Old 01-08-2017, 10:19 AM
ou2mame

No way.. Stock mpg for the 99 Dakota with the 5.2 is 13/18, the 99 xj is 21/25..that's a big difference.

post #12 of 13 Old 01-08-2017, 10:34 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The most commonly found XJ with 4.0, AW-4 automatic, 4x4 is rated 16/19 mpg. A 4 cyl, 2wd 5-spd Manual is rated 20/23 mpg.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #13 of 13 Old 01-08-2017, 11:19 AM
ou2mame

You know what, you're right. I Googled it quick and that's what popped up. Looking into it, a 4x4 4.0 is 16/19.. The 25 seemed right to me cause that's what I average around that on the highway.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.