Why did you originally buy your XJ? - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Why did you originally buy your XJ?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-02-2009, 03:39 PM   #76
OlBlueBucket8
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I bought my XJ because I wanted 4 wheel Drive, and my brother and Step Dad both had TJ's I also wanted somthing that was more than 3inches off the ground, The car before was a lower Vw. I miss my VW but Im glad I bought the XJ. Most of all I wanted a vehicle that I would be able to drive Anywhere in Anything.

Page Six ownage

5inch lift: Rustys XD 3inch Full Pack. IRO UCA and LCA. 2in Coil spacer and RC Leaf Shakle in Rear. IRO SS Brake Lines and RC 5in shocks. IRO Double Shear Track Bar and SBL. Tenneco Steering Stabilizer. Rugged Ridge SYE XJ Front D/S, AR Outlaws and Some 33x10.5 BFG AT
OlBlueBucket8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 03:44 PM   #77
7urtle
2008 KK Liberty 

liked the look of it over a zj and didnt want a wrangler as a dd
[URL="[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/wanted-xj-875786/#post10031031[/url]"][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/wanted-xj-875786/#post10031031[/url][/URL] -[FONT="Arial Black"][B][I][U][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Green"]1UMF[/COLOR][/SIZE][/U][/I][/B][/FONT] a really slow build. bruised and never left the street
[COLOR="SeaGreen"]WTB: rear bumper/tire carrier,31" tires,armor[/COLOR]
7urtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 03:56 PM   #78
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

My first "car" was an 85 S-10 4x4 and I've had the bug ever since then. I dumped a ton of money into it over the few years I had it. A local shop botched a transmission rebuild so bad I had to sell it. I stepped up to an 87 Silverado with 4" of lift and 35s. I will probably always have it. It's setup for almost anything and has been an amazing rig.

In 2005 I bought an ATV. I was also doing a lot of around-town driving so I decided to buy something small, cheap and new. I wound up with an 05 Corolla and a $300 trailer from Harbor Freight that I towed my ATV on. Last year around this time, things got a little stirred up at work and people started getting laid off. I wanted to be prepared for the worst so I sold a great little car to eliminate $400 worth of monthly payment and insurance and went back to driving the Silverado and enclosed my HF trailer to haul tools, materials and ladders.

Earlier this year, my girlfriend bought an ATV as well. Things smoothed out at work and I wanted another affordable daily driver. What I missed most when driving the Corolla was having four wheel drive on tap. There was just too much I enjoyed doing that would or may need a 4x4. Also, the car handled one ATV fine but two would have been pushing it, especially since it would require a bigger, heavier trailer.

I started a thread on GlockTalk.com to find suggestions on what would suit my needs. I came to realize that I wanted a 4-door 4x4 SUV that could tow both ATVs. I shopped and priced and test drove and figured and wound up with my XJ. I was seriously eyeing a TJ but I realized the XJ gave me more space, more towing capacity and virtually the same powertrain for about $6000 less! So far it's given me a fit with little repairs but the body and interior are in about 95% condition so I still think it's a winner.

Last edited by Kevin108; 11-02-2009 at 05:02 PM..
Kevin108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 04:47 PM   #79
ReconMill
Flat-4 Turbo

Because of all of the vehicles out there I like the xj the best as a choice for my first vehicle. I wanted a wrangler, but they were too expensive.
ReconMill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 05:22 PM   #80
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

because anyone can drive a wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 05:25 PM   #81
Spokes
Mall Crawler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hussler737 View Post
thats going in my sig!!!!

Red 00 XJ 4.5" and 33 km2's with other goodies
Build -->http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...hread-1280981/
"Lima bean" 91 XJ 4.0, 5spd, 235 Duratracs
Quote:
Spokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 05:45 PM   #82
Jason845
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Because driving my matrix on the weekend after sitting in it for 50+ hours during the week would push me over the edge, and I had an XJ in college, which was actually newer than the one I own now, haha, I just realized that.
Unread 11-02-2009, 06:11 PM   #83
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
thats going in my sig!!!!
its the truth. i had more than enough to buy a nice wrangler and I spent 700 on an xj instead. and thanks for making me immortalized btw haha
Quote:
Unread 11-02-2009, 06:12 PM   #84
corndogduff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncarr View Post
Because the straight six is a freakin STUD.

Also because I owned a TJ, and the one thing I learned. TJ's can go pretty much anywhere, but you just can't take shiiite with ya. So I added an XJ, to go camping, and whatnot. Then sold the TJ. Now the modded XJ is perfect for me. Can keep up with my buddies TJ's all day.
This answer. Word for word.
UT Jeepcrew #13
NIGHTCREW
corndogduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 07:47 PM   #85
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I'm stealing that quote as well, it wont fit into my sig but I'm saving it

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2009, 12:35 PM   #86
Swagger_Wagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettles View Post
My friend has a 87 944... it is the most complicated jigsaw puzzle I could ever imagine.. We are trying to replace the rear main seal.. according to the book it is 16 hrs labor from a shop.. so yeah. That means its real fun to do in a cramped garage with no lift and no air tools (yet.. both sound like a good investment now, lol). He bought another car so he could fix the rear main on the porsche... So be happy with your good ol xj..
Yeah I'm def. happy that I got my XJ. But I was so dead set on a 944 or Supra. My dad had 2 late 80's Supras, they were really great cars. 944s can be a pain in the *** to work on but when they're rolling fine, man, they're incredible cars for being so old. I'm still amazed at my dad's '79 911. That thing has over 140k miles on it and aside from regular maintenance all we've had to do is rebuild the brakes, put in a new alternator, and put in a new fuel pump. The Porsche flat 6's are the European equivalent of our Jeep straight-6s. Pretty damn solid. My dad's starting to let me take the 911 out (with him riding shotgun of course lol) when I'm home from college so I'm getting my Porsche fix haha. I do love my Jeep to death though. So versatile, extremely capable offroad, lots of room inside, great motor. Sure this thing has more little electrical gremlins than I can count on one hand and makes noises that make my passengers cringe but hey, it's an XJ. lol. Not to mention, I love scaring the hell out of everyone in the Jeep when we're driving along and I yank the key out of the ignition and nothing happens. The looks on their faces
The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. It’s a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve. Okay, we’re a little crazy to have a Jeep for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius
Go to Heaven for the climate, go to Hell for the company.
Swagger_Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2009, 01:13 PM   #87
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by compcrasher86 View Post
I'm stealing that quote as well, it wont fit into my sig but I'm saving it
id quote myself but that would look retarded
Quote:
Unread 11-03-2009, 01:17 PM   #88
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HevinDester View Post
Not to mention, I love scaring the hell out of everyone in the Jeep when we're driving along and I yank the key out of the ignition and nothing happens. The looks on their faces
i had never ever heard of keys coming out of the ignition while in the on position. i hit a bump and they fell out, i said out loud "wtf there goes my security" haha
Quote:
Unread 11-03-2009, 02:37 PM   #89
willcherokeexj
2014 JK Wrangler 

Found it at too good of a deal. Then fell in love.

2014 JK - Willy's Wheeler Edition
willcherokeexj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2009, 04:41 PM   #90
LUGGNUTT
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I was about to junk a 93 mitsubishi diamante and during a conversation a guy said he had an 89 XJ he was about to junk. So we traded even up. I am very satisfied.

CJCM #260

www.thecliffsinsaneterrain.com
LUGGNUTT is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.