Why are beadlocks illegal in some states? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Why are beadlocks illegal in some states?

Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 09-29-2009, 07:54 AM   #31
BIG RED86
1996 XJ Cherokee 

One theory that I heard was that they are unable to be balanced, causing the wheel to wobble at high speeds and cause potential damage to your vehicle. Again this is only a theory that I heard no hard evidence at all.

Unread 09-29-2009, 10:02 AM   #32
Luke94XJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

you can put stick on weights on anything, or crimp on weights on the inner lip.
Luke94XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 12:45 PM   #33
Starboard M

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuraisavr View Post
i was told that beadlocks were illegal because they require a person to check the bolts from time to time. Since they have to be monitored, there becomes a hazard if a person does not do their job and make sure the locking ring is god and tight. Now my argument to this is: what about all the ricers and beemer guys running a true 3 peice wheel? The outer hoop just bolts the the rim face, and if not monitored, the rim could potientially come loose giving you the same results as a beadlock... This is just what I heard from a cop friend. The same cop friend that said "Just run um' noody knows what they are anyway
You have to monitor regular wheels too. Most people dont, but you should check your tire pressure constantly as well as ensure your lug nuts are tight.

Remember back when Firestone and Ford had issues with tires on Exploders failing at high speeds when they had low tire pressure? Those people should have checked their tires, but obviously didnt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG RED86 View Post
One theory that I heard was that they are unable to be balanced, causing the wheel to wobble at high speeds and cause potential damage to your vehicle. Again this is only a theory that I heard no hard evidence at all.
There are many people who travel at high rates of speed with single and double bead locks and dont have issues with balancing. Baja racing, and KOH come to mind. Trophy trucks get well into the triple digits. I think people in this last year at KOH got into the triple digits as well.

If you have issues, internally balance them.

Boatsides/Hybrid Cage/Tube Dash== Custom Winch Bumper== Bolt in HP44
Starboard M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 06:35 PM   #34
white_87yj
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element96x View Post
Apparently I was told because if you run over a spike strip or your tires get shot out the tire wont fall off the rim,. thats what my neighbor cop said
that doesn't make much sense cause the tire will shred anyways
.____________
|[__].|__\_____\,
|/ ..\_|-_/ ..\_.[]|||||[]
..(o)_)-0-(o)_)-o-(o)_)
Firefighters Jeep Club
My stock back tire isnt flat, its "aired down" for rock crawling. duh
its a jeep thing... ive alway understood
We always need luck, we drive jeeps.
white_87yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 08:26 PM   #35
ep191
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_87yj View Post
that doesn't make much sense cause the tire will shred anyways
apparently his neighbor cop sucks at common sense
ep191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 09:14 PM   #36
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starboard M View Post
So what youre saying is that the code doesnt say beadlocks are specifically illegal, so therefor they are legal? Makes sense to me.

I also did not know you do this stuff for a living. I take it you are an officer somewhere. My Jeep resides in Cali, so if I ever get pulled over, an officer knows what beadlocks are, and considers them illegal, Im calling you
Yes, that's what I'm saying.
timatoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 09:31 PM   #37
TJunk
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The reason most beadlocks are not DOT compliant is the lip of the wheel where the tire seats is supposed to be a certain profile to according to the tire manufacture. The tire is designed to seat on this profile and when cross sectioned the wheel does not meet that due to the fact that is is 2 pieces on the outer lip. The 3 piece beadlocks made by Hutchinson are DOT compliant because they have the correct profile on the outer rim and the bead lock is an internal ring that clamps the tire to the outer bead when the wheel is put together.

The issue of legality would be up to the states laws regarding aftermarket equipment used on road that is not DOT compliant. There are millions of little things that a cop can write you for just to be a jerk. Your attitude may help you in a traffic stop. It would take sombody with an attitude on either side of the stop to really get a ticket for it. If you are cited for it make sure you are cited for an exact section of the traffic code. that way you can reference it in court.
Unread 10-26-2009, 11:47 AM   #38
jbingel

Bead Locks Illegal?

My local (Nevada) Big-O dealer informed me today that bead locks were not legal for the street. This peaked my curiosity and I started searching, results were a mixed bag.

So I did a keyword statutes (State laws) search for Nevada, California and Oregon, interestingly "bead locks", "beadlocks", "bead lock" or "beadlock" does not appear anywhere in the laws of these 3 states.

Next I did a keyword search for Federal DOT regulations and found "bead locks", but the only mention was they are required for aviation fire trucks.

My conclusion is this is another "the sky is falling" topic for people who can't sleep and spend too much time on their computer!
jbingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2009, 02:26 PM   #39
Starboard M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbingel View Post
My local (Nevada) Big-O dealer informed me today that bead locks were not legal for the street. This peaked my curiosity and I started searching, results were a mixed bag.

So I did a keyword statutes (State laws) search for Nevada, California and Oregon, interestingly "bead locks", "beadlocks", "bead lock" or "beadlock" does not appear anywhere in the laws of these 3 states.

Next I did a keyword search for Federal DOT regulations and found "bead locks", but the only mention was they are required for aviation fire trucks.

My conclusion is this is another "the sky is falling" topic for people who can't sleep and spend too much time on their computer!
Big O probably stated they were illegal so they wouldnt have to mount the tires on beadlocks as well as liability.

They are a ***** and a half to get them mounted. Buy the tires, and mount them yourself on your new beadlocks.

Boatsides/Hybrid Cage/Tube Dash== Custom Winch Bumper== Bolt in HP44
Starboard M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2009, 10:36 PM   #40
Luke94XJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

but the guy at big-o said they were not illegal Starboard, I think you misread that.
Unread 10-27-2009, 07:34 AM   #41
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke94XJ View Post
but the guy at big-o said they were not illegal Starboard, I think you misread that.
He said
Quote:
that bead locks were not legal
as in illegal.

I misread it the first time over, I guess you misread it too.
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2009, 04:34 PM   #42
Luke94XJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

ah holy poop, How did I read it like that?

anyway, I think its some bull crap and that you should run them, anyway.
Unread 10-27-2009, 08:21 PM   #43
xjjake99

i probably will, when i get the money. still have to order lift, tires, rims, snorkel
xjjake99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2010, 10:30 AM   #44
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

There is so much bad information in this thread on the legalities of bead lock wheels that it's not even funny. The DOT does not approve any bead lockwheels and wheels that are marketed as "DOT approved" are simply misleading people. Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but another thread linked to it.

Here's a letter from the DOT replying to an individual who asked for a clariification on whether the DOT had a position on the legalities of bead lock wheels on the street.

And so far, to the best of my knowledge, no one (!) has come up with a specific state law that specifically says bead lock wheels are illegal. Certainly the DOT doesn't care as evidenced by their letter, a copy of which is below...

"Dear Mr. Cxxxxxxxx,

I received this message from NHTSA this morning:

There are no performance or design requirements for rims covered under Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 120. However, there are rim marking requirements in S5.2 and rim selection requirements in S5.3.2. Note that in S5.2, a reference is made to rims of multi-piece construction, and this implies that these multi-piece rims are allowed. The bead lock rim appears to be a multi-piece rim and there is nothing that I’m aware of that would prohibit them from being used for on-road vehicles. I have attached a copy of the standard. It may be that some State DOTs are regulating them.

Hope this helps some

Sincerely,
Reference Services
National Transportation Library
Bureau of Transportation Statistics
Research and Innovative Technology Administration
U.S. Department of Transportation"

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2010, 09:52 AM   #45
customizer1000
1995 XJ Cherokee 

cause they can leak air and you can have a tire malfunction on the highway
customizer1000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.