Why are beadlocks illegal in some states? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Why are beadlocks illegal in some states?

Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Reply
Unread 09-28-2009, 07:26 PM   #16
Kettles
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 4,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citan View Post
Well last year when I was in learning about wheels and tires in auto we watched a video, which was from the 70s so I am sure it does not apply to the beadlocks of today. It said they were illegal because some people would forget to let the air out of the tires before removing the beads and it would cause the beadlock to go flying and injuring people. But like I said the video was from the 70s and more then likely does apply to today's standards.
Seems like once you took a few bolts off the edge, the tire would start to deflate... I cant imagine you could get all the bolts off fast enough for it to release pressure all at once and the rim come flying at you, without enough air ratchets for every bolt, lol.

Also that getting the tire shot out theory sounds like a totaly BS theory about the "man" keeping you down, ... has that cop ever heard of runflat tires???? Those are publicly available, and it would seem like they would be a little better than beadlocks with a flat.

I will stick with of most of them not being DOT approved, and maybe a state specific law would entail the theory of them possibly being more dangerous for street use.

__________________
_=====o000o
//__l_l_,\____\,____
l_--\_l__l_/--|lllll|
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 07:35 PM   #17
xjjake99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: clark
Posts: 32
i never thought of them not being DOT approved, you would think that they wouldn't be legal to sell if they weren't DOT approved. thanks for all the help
xjjake99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 07:38 PM   #18
Kettles
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 4,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjjake99 View Post
i never thought of them not being DOT approved, you would think that they wouldn't be legal to sell if they weren't DOT approved. thanks for all the help
You can sell anything you want thats not DOT approved, you just cant use it all on roads.
Beadlocks are primarily used on offroad vehicles, and some drag racers. All legal street driving doesn't need the function of a beadlock. They are good for aired down tires when offroad, to keep the tire on the bead, and to keep the wheel from rotating in the tire when offroad and drag racing.
__________________
_=====o000o
//__l_l_,\____\,____
l_--\_l__l_/--|lllll|
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.

Last edited by Kettles; 09-28-2009 at 07:52 PM..
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 07:48 PM   #19
timatoe
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Grass Valley California
Posts: 13,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjjake99 View Post
i never thought of them not being DOT approved, you would think that they wouldn't be legal to sell if they weren't DOT approved. thanks for all the help
DOT approved is not the same as Street Legal, unless your state law specifically requires something be "DOT Approved"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettles View Post
You can sell anything you want thats not DOT approved, you just cant use it on roads.
Beadlocks are primarily used on offroad vehicles, and some drag racers. All legal street driving doesn't need the function of a beadlock. They are good for aired down tires when offroad, to keep the tire on the bead, and to keep the wheel from rotating in the tire when offroad and drag racing.
Take a walk down the "ricer" aisle at most auto parts stores and you'll find tons of things that say for "offroad use only", like fart can mufflers, neon lighting, windshield washer nozzles lights, etc....

BTW, for as much as people say California has some jacked laws, beadlocks are 100% street legal.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
timatoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 07:55 PM   #20
Chris_XJ
Registered User
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Thornton, CO
Posts: 273
Quote:
Seems like once you took a few bolts off the edge, the tire would start to deflate... I cant imagine you could get all the bolts off fast enough for it to release pressure all at once and the rim come flying at you, without enough air ratchets for every bolt, lol.
That's what I thought as well. I think the people from the 70s were just retards and got it banned from use because they don't know what their talking about.
__________________
1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 5 speed, 4x4, 149k miles, all skids, tire carrier, cargo cover, factory radio/speakers, 10k miles on following items; rebuilt motor, new tranny, rebuilt rear diff, complete exhaust system, complete brake system, radiator, 30" tires, suspension. No dents or scratches in the paint. ONE OWNER UNTIL NOW.
Chris_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 08:25 PM   #21
Starboard M
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: CO
Posts: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post

BTW, for as much as people say California has some jacked laws, beadlocks are 100% street legal.
Where can you find any information that beadlocks are legal in Cali?



Beadlocks being legal vs illegal is one of the biggest myths the internet has ever come up with. No one can come up with anything that specifically says that beadlocks are illegal.

There is a vendor on Pirate 4x4 that has a reward for anyone who finds any info saying beadlocks are specifically illegal.



Why cant I buy a steel wheel that has a DOT stamp on it, weld on some beadlock rings, and run it on the street? The wheel still has a DOT stamp, which makes it legal?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaHunter View Post
Honestly, its dicks like you that make unnecessary comments via the internet that have no impact what so ever.

Boatsides/Hybrid Cage/Tube Dash== Custom Winch Bumper== Bolt in HP44
Starboard M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 08:35 PM   #22
xjjake99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: clark
Posts: 32
haha, i guess u can tell im new to offroad stuff
xjjake99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 08:55 PM   #23
Kettles
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 4,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starboard M View Post
Why cant I buy a steel wheel that has a DOT stamp on it, weld on some beadlock rings, and run it on the street? The wheel still has a DOT stamp, which makes it legal?
For one, i am pretty sure the modifying DOT approved wheels voids the DOT approval. But We have been over that DOT doesn't mean street legal. A good point to make would be what about one off wheels and stuff. I have seen them make wheels on shows like overhaulin, but I doubt they take the time to have them inspected.

Someone should look though vehicle laws and see if they can find anything about DOT and street legal wheels and stuff.
__________________
_=====o000o
//__l_l_,\____\,____
l_--\_l__l_/--|lllll|
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 09:50 PM   #24
timatoe
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Grass Valley California
Posts: 13,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starboard M View Post
Where can you find any information that beadlocks are legal in Cali?



Beadlocks being legal vs illegal is one of the biggest myths the internet has ever come up with. No one can come up with anything that specifically says that beadlocks are illegal.

There is a vendor on Pirate 4x4 that has a reward for anyone who finds any info saying beadlocks are specifically illegal.



Why cant I buy a steel wheel that has a DOT stamp on it, weld on some beadlock rings, and run it on the street? The wheel still has a DOT stamp, which makes it legal?
Go here.... Find California Code Click Vehicle Code and start searching. There's over 48,000 codes in the California Vehicle Code and not a single ones says that beadlocks are illegal. I do this for a living you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettles View Post
Someone should look though vehicle laws and see if they can find anything about DOT and street legal wheels and stuff.
Seems like I already said that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe
DOT approved is not the same as Street Legal, unless your state law specifically requires something be "DOT Approved"
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
timatoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 09:57 PM   #25
Deacon
Web Wheeler
 
Deacon's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 4,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjjake99 View Post
haha i agree, we are way to liberal
Banning stuff and generally being overbearing control freaks with a nanny complex is the hallmark of a "progressive" not really a true liberal, who'd be far closer to a libertarian. Well, either that or a Bible Belt Republican.
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 10:01 PM   #26
ep191
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,690
Timatoe is on the right track

Just because something isn't DOT approved, that doesn't neccesarily make it "illegal". You would have to check in depth into your local laws to see what exactly is and isn't legal.

The main reasoning I have seen behind beadlocks not being DOT approved is the fact that they basically require some sort of "explosion" to occur during a tire blow out. On a normal 1-piece wheel, the pressure will force the tire to come off the bead, where in a beadlock you could possibly create so much pressure the tire will rupture.

I'm not sure how much of an issue this is with conventional beadlocks (where the outer ring is the only "locked" side) but in theory I could see this applying to double beadlocked wheels.
ep191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 11:14 PM   #27
Boodyrider
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citan View Post
Well last year when I was in learning about wheels and tires in auto we watched a video, which was from the 70s so I am sure it does not apply to the beadlocks of today. It said they were illegal because some people would forget to let the air out of the tires before removing the beads and it would cause the beadlock to go flying and injuring people. But like I said the video was from the 70s and more then likely does apply to today's standards.

That has NOTHING to do with beadlocks; it refers to split rim rims, like on large trucks.
__________________
97 TJ Sport - 4.0/HP D30 w ARB/8.8 w LS/4.88s; 35s and flat fenders on 2.5 lift

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 11:41 PM   #28
Starboard M
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: CO
Posts: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettles View Post
For one, i am pretty sure the modifying DOT approved wheels voids the DOT approval. But We have been over that DOT doesn't mean street legal. A good point to make would be what about one off wheels and stuff. I have seen them make wheels on shows like overhaulin, but I doubt they take the time to have them inspected.

Someone should look though vehicle laws and see if they can find anything about DOT and street legal wheels and stuff.
How would modifying the wheel void the DOT stamp if lifting a Jeep doesnt void the Jeeps DOT stamp?


I know Jeeps dont have DOT stamps, it was just a really bad analogy.


Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
Go here.... Find California Code Click Vehicle Code and start searching. There's over 48,000 codes in the California Vehicle Code and not a single ones says that beadlocks are illegal. I do this for a living you know.
So what youre saying is that the code doesnt say beadlocks are specifically illegal, so therefor they are legal? Makes sense to me.

I also did not know you do this stuff for a living. I take it you are an officer somewhere. My Jeep resides in Cali, so if I ever get pulled over, an officer knows what beadlocks are, and considers them illegal, Im calling you



I highly doubt 95% of police officers out there know what beadlocks are. I also doubt they can tell the difference between street locks, and true beadlocks. And those other 5% that do know what they are most likely offroad and have them on their own vehicles.

I have other "illegal" issues with my Jeep, so worrying about beadlocks is not high on my list of problems.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaHunter View Post
Honestly, its dicks like you that make unnecessary comments via the internet that have no impact what so ever.

Boatsides/Hybrid Cage/Tube Dash== Custom Winch Bumper== Bolt in HP44
Starboard M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 02:00 AM   #29
ep191
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,690
The more important subject should be, are you willing to take responsibility if you were to cause an injury specifically because you run beadlocks as opposed to 1-piece wheels?

Personally, I don't think the risk is that big of a deal so I wouldn't think twice about running them on the street. But hey that's just me.
ep191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 06:15 AM   #30
samuraisavr
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 821
i was told that beadlocks were illegal because they require a person to check the bolts from time to time. Since they have to be monitored, there becomes a hazard if a person does not do their job and make sure the locking ring is god and tight. Now my argument to this is: what about all the ricers and beemer guys running a true 3 peice wheel? The outer hoop just bolts the the rim face, and if not monitored, the rim could potientially come loose giving you the same results as a beadlock... This is just what I heard from a cop friend. The same cop friend that said "Just run um' noody knows what they are anyway
__________________
Just
Empty
Every
Pocket
samuraisavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.