whos got a jacked up xj as only DD? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > whos got a jacked up xj as only DD?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 09-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #16
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990JEEPXJ View Post
Having a fun DD makes all the difference though. Hence I don't drive the jeep much anymore
Yes. My DD is a non VTEC 5 speed Civic hatchback, but it's a blast to drive. Not the fastest, but much more fuel efficient, comfortable, and more fun to drive on the street than my XJ.

ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 08:49 PM   #17
Rockdrummer93
Web Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I drive mine daily and it's my only car for now... Lifted 6-7", 35s, 4.88s, front locked and OTK steering. I love driving mine everyday even drive it 3 hours to my aunts every now and then to go hunting, handles great around town and on the highway. Its all about how you set it up and not taking any shortcuts. I've had to spend more then I would if it were a trail rig just to keep it as road worthy as it is now, the 4.88s help out a lot though! The two things that scares me now is the trails I run and having an accident on the road. Im more afraid of breaking something out on the trail and not having a back up and I know at speed with any abrupt maneuvers or any contact with another vehicle I'm most likely going over. Those are the only two downfalls to DDing and wheeling my Jeep as much as I do.

OffroadSC
Rockdrummer93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 09:12 PM   #18
rubiprime

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockdrummer93 View Post
I drive mine daily and it's my only car for now... Lifted 6-7", 35s, 4.88s, front locked and OTK steering. I love driving mine everyday even drive it 3 hours to my aunts every now and then to go hunting, handles great around town and on the highway. Its all about how you set it up and not taking any shortcuts. I've had to spend more then I would if it were a trail rig just to keep it as road worthy as it is now, the 4.88s help out a lot though! The two things that scares me now is the trails I run and having an accident on the road. Im more afraid of breaking something out on the trail and not having a back up and I know at speed with any abrupt maneuvers or any contact with another vehicle I'm most likely going over. Those are the only two downfalls to DDing and wheeling my Jeep as much as I do.
Nice looking xj.
rubiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 09:07 AM   #19
Rockdrummer93
Web Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubiprime View Post
Nice looking xj.
Thanks

OffroadSC
Rockdrummer93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #20
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

my huge XJ is my daily driver and it makes me happy to see the look on other peoples faces when I drive it.
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 10:27 AM   #21
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockdrummer93 View Post
Its all about how you set it up and not taking any shortcuts. I've had to spend more then I would if it were a trail rig just to keep it as road worthy
THIS is a good point. Gotta keep everything nice and tight to keep it driving good. If I never had to DD mine Id have a lot more done by now.
July 2013 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 08:50 PM   #22
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

I agree it's all how you set it up and what your intentions for the rig are.

DDing is a different beast than something you only wheel and run errands in. Road manners tend to take priority for one while trail functionality take precedence for the other.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 09:47 PM   #23
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
I agree it's all how you set it up and what your intentions for the rig are.

DDing is a different beast than something you only wheel and run errands in. Road manners tend to take priority for one while trail functionality take precedence for the other.
Also well said. If you DO go out and do some legitimate (i.e. lockers mandatory) wheeling, maintaining the rig enough to keep it DD friendly WILL keep you busy. I do intend to get wilder with my rig in time and pull it from DD duty, but I ALWAYS want it licensed.

I see no point in having a rig you have to trailer 5 miles down the road unless its just a built up comp rig. Its rewarding to be able to wheel with your buddies trailer queens and drive the rig home. Just takes a lot of preventative maintenance and planning. Luck always favors the prepared.
July 2013 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 09-14-2013, 10:02 PM   #24
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Your daily drive is a pretty big factor as well. I only drive about 4 miles to work and I work off hours (7-4 instead of 9-5) so I encounter very little traffic. If I was driving on the highway every day I doubt I'd drive my XJ to work as much. I love getting to drive mine daily but at the same time I'd have some much more lengthy projects done if, but then again if I had somewhere to keep the Jeep immobile for any length of time I could just drive my pickup anyway lol

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 10:08 PM   #25
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
Your daily drive is a pretty big factor as well. I only drive about 4 miles to work and I work off hours (7-4 instead of 9-5) so I encounter very little traffic. If I was driving on the highway every day I doubt I'd drive my XJ to work as much. I love getting to drive mine daily but at the same time I'd have some much more lengthy projects done if, but then again if I had somewhere to keep the Jeep immobile for any length of time I could just drive my pickup anyway lol
I am only 4 miles from work as well so that certainly makes a difference. My XJ does fine for longer trips but there are definately better options for daily work commutes. Heres a shot from today, using the XJ on an 80 mile date night with the wife, with cruise set at 70.
July 2013 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 09-14-2013, 10:18 PM   #26
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
I am only 4 miles from work as well so that certainly makes a difference. My XJ does fine for longer trips but there are definately better options for daily work commutes. Heres a shot from today, using the XJ on an 80 mile date night with the wife, with cruise set at 70.
Once I regear I'll be fine for highway, but the XJ burns some serious gas over 55 or so with 33s and stock gears.

It's not just that though, I've got mud tires, no carpet, no headliner, no cruise control, loud exhaust, no swaybars, ect, ect so it's just really no built for highway use. When I was a bit younger and more arrogant I always looked down on trailer queens but in reality I'd rather have a tow rig just for the piece of mind of being able to really tear it up on trails and still be able to get home if something major breaks.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 10:21 PM   #27
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post

Also well said. If you DO go out and do some legitimate (i.e. lockers mandatory) wheeling, maintaining the rig enough to keep it DD friendly WILL keep you busy. I do intend to get wilder with my rig in time and pull it from DD duty, but I ALWAYS want it licensed.

I see no point in having a rig you have to trailer 5 miles down the road unless its just a built up comp rig. Its rewarding to be able to wheel with your buddies trailer queens and drive the rig home. Just takes a lot of preventative maintenance and planning. Luck always favors the prepared.
That's the kicker and pretty much a must for me - always want it licensed. It has to be street legal for me to even bother having it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
Having a "spare" vehicle is huge when doing work on any other ride. Not to mention splitting the work load.

I drive my XJ a lot more than I planned or thought I would. I too live within a couple miles of the house I work out of and when I get there my pov sits for 24 hours. Then goes a couple miles back home. Runnin around dding for me is rarely more than 15 miles or less in a day. If it's more I drive the WK.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 09-14-2013, 10:25 PM   #28
JeepN4KC

Oh, and Vegas, x2 on the whole "run whatcha brung" thing.

Definitely cool to drive to the wheelin spot, wheel a good stretch, and drive it home. Then to work the next day.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 09-14-2013, 11:05 PM   #29
cherokeechief95
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I drive my 95 xj everywhere, living in gunnison colorado it's great to be able to go anywhere I would like. My xj with 31's and stock gearing (for now) and manual tranny is so much fun to drive. may not look liek much but as everone knows it takes time to build it right. being a DD does prolong that. I would have to agree that doing things right is the biggest challenge. but worth every penny. preparing for winter have heated seat kit waiting to install and injectors arriving monday from presicion auto injectors lets hope they work... There is nothing like getting in a xj every morning and asking yourself where to?
cherokeechief95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 03:40 PM   #30
Cowboy_Elvis
1998 XJ Cherokee 

With all these replies I'm feeling much more comfortable, my last DD was a 85 k5 lifted 10" on 40" ******s, but I was only driving to work 4 miles once every two days. I've only had this Cherokee for a week before I got sent to Puerto Rico for work where I've been the past month. Just been curious and happy bow to see that it doesn't seem like there are a lot of huge maintenance issues, and as soon as I get back I'm getting those 4.56 gears in to help out
Cowboy_Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.