whos got a jacked up xj as only DD? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > whos got a jacked up xj as only DD?

Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-11-2013, 12:45 PM   #1
Cowboy_Elvis
1998 XJ Cherokee 

whos got a jacked up xj as only DD?

I'm just curious as to how many people on here only have their rig as the only vehicle? What kind of problems does everyone having driving them all over and far distances?

Cowboy_Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 01:23 PM   #2
1990JEEPXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy_Elvis
I'm just curious as to how many people on here only have their rig as the only vehicle? What kind of problems does everyone having driving them all over and far distances?
There should not be any more problems that you would have with any other car. Granted it will drive differently and consume more gas than say a stock Cherokee but there is no issue with it. I daily drove mine after it was lifted and locked and I wouldn't hesitate to do it if it wasn't so poor on gas mileage.

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
TheBlueDevil
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I love driving it every day more than i like driving my BMW. Sure its slow but its fun, loud, rugged and I always know i can go anywhere i want when im in it. The only thing is the gas milage... Sometimes i look at honda civics and just think how damn jealous i am of thier gas mileage but then i remember how much fun I WOULDN'T have driving one of those spit balls. Besides the wind noise and the feeling like your driving a shoebox on wheels, its really not to much different. Although i do have mud terrains that hum quite a but and it does drive different because of the suspension and parts ect... I actually recently drove from virginia to los angeles with my jeep and loved every minute of it. I crossed through rural mountainous colorado in the worst blizzard of 2013 and i had no problem pushing through 9 inches of snow and pulling 12 cars out along the way. That experience in itself made driving a lifted xj as a daily completely 200% worth it.
TheBlueDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #4
Spokes
Mall Crawler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I do lol its not my only vehicle but i drive it 90% of the time cause i love it so much lol my MPG arent that bad i average probably 14-15 on 33s.

Ive also got my limabean... '91 5 speed if i drive easy i see 26mpg on the highway

Red 00 XJ 4.5" and 33 km2's with other goodies
Build -->http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...hread-1280981/
"Lima bean" 91 XJ 4.0, 5spd, 235 Duratracs
Quote:
Originally Posted by hussler737 View Post
because anyone can drive a wrangler
Spokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 02:29 PM   #5
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

i daily'd mine on 33's for s few years, expect to wear through everything faster. brakes, ball joints, unit bearings, that sort of stuff, it's not bad, just keep up on it and dont do things the cheap way

MY BUILD THREAD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...lding-1575841/

My Photography Paul Lehr's Flickr
Vassago is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
Spokes
Mall Crawler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vassago View Post
i daily'd mine on 33's for s few years, expect to wear through everything faster. brakes, ball joints, unit bearings, that sort of stuff, it's not bad, just keep up on it and dont do things the cheap way
Do WJ knuckles and brakes for a DD best upgrade after doorless lol

Red 00 XJ 4.5" and 33 km2's with other goodies
Build -->http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...hread-1280981/
"Lima bean" 91 XJ 4.0, 5spd, 235 Duratracs
Quote:
Originally Posted by hussler737 View Post
because anyone can drive a wrangler
Spokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #7
Cowboy_Elvis
1998 XJ Cherokee 

That's what I like to hear, I'm just like the rest of you and sick and tired of seeing jacked up f250's and mall crawlers everywhere. I have an Audi and that I never drive (not just because I hate it) but it's no fun
Cowboy_Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 03:45 PM   #8
1990JEEPXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Having a fun DD makes all the difference though. Hence I don't drive the jeep much anymore

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #9
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Not my only ride but I always drive the Jeep, only pull it off DD duty while I do big maintenance or fab work so I dont have to rush it. Maybe sometime next year I intend to pick up another XJ to leave mostly stock as a DD so I can get a little more wild on my current XJ.

As is though, Im 4.5" on 32s with a front locker and I am just as comfortable DD'ing it as anything else on the road. I take weekend long wheeling trips and drive it home with the cruise set to 75 and a finger on the wheel.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 05:25 PM   #10
scottmphoto
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I have a '76 Dodge Power Wagon as my work truck but I drive my '91 XJ with 3" on 31's about 95% of the time (100% lately). I love my XJ. I had a '92 that got totaled and it took me three months to find my current one.
scottmphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 07:04 PM   #11
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

My pickup (90 Dakota v6) was my DD but I love the Jeep a hell of a lot more and still get much better MPG even on 33s, at least where I drive every day. I have a short commute, but the truck does a lot better on the highway but I drive on the highway maybe 2-3 times a year. I'm about to get rid of the Dakota for a WJ for a DD though.
Unread 09-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #12
Muddy97Cherokee

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Mines jacked up 7" and its my only vehicle. Ya, its a little expensive to drive and not so comfortable as any other car is but it gets the job done and gives me another hobby to explore in. I can also show it off because no other vehicle is like it! I will always find a way to make my jeep stand out!
BUILD THREAD

-ZACK
Muddy97Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 09:45 PM   #13
rubiprime

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Mine is my only ride. lifted 8.5 inches, 4.88's and 35's. I love driving it everyday. It drives great around town and on the highway.
20130830_110359_zpsccd46cc1.jpg

rubiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 10:23 PM   #14
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I retired Scampy last fall - it's sitting at 5.5" and 33's locked in front. It's very decent on fuel highway, but blows in town. I'd drive it just about anywhere, any distance, but is is a bit more work now.

I prefer driving it, but I have a van and a wife and 3 children, so I put the miles on the family van which is super comfy and save the miles and the rubber for the XJ when I go trail riding.

If the van ever dies, the XJ would get put back into daily service - I keep it plated and insured for that very reason.
Unread 09-12-2013, 10:38 AM   #15
DezertTJ
Lost

2006 LJ Wrangler 

My xj is my DD. 5.5" on 33" km2s. It doesn't get the best mileage but it's fun to drive. Living in a snowy environment, the added clearance and 4wd really makes all the difference. I had a awd subaru, but I didn't like driving it at all. The mileage was great though!

When its a super nice day out, I will drive the tj but it's usually the xj

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.