Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

whos got a jacked up xj as only DD?

3K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  98muddyjeep 
#1 ·
I'm just curious as to how many people on here only have their rig as the only vehicle? What kind of problems does everyone having driving them all over and far distances?

#2 ·
There should not be any more problems that you would have with any other car. Granted it will drive differently and consume more gas than say a stock Cherokee but there is no issue with it. I daily drove mine after it was lifted and locked and I wouldn't hesitate to do it if it wasn't so poor on gas mileage.

#3 ·
I love driving it every day more than i like driving my BMW. Sure its slow but its fun, loud, rugged and I always know i can go anywhere i want when im in it. The only thing is the gas milage... Sometimes i look at honda civics and just think how damn jealous i am of thier gas mileage but then i remember how much fun I WOULDN'T have driving one of those spit balls. Besides the wind noise and the feeling like your driving a shoebox on wheels, its really not to much different. Although i do have mud terrains that hum quite a but and it does drive different because of the suspension and parts ect... I actually recently drove from virginia to los angeles with my jeep and loved every minute of it. I crossed through rural mountainous colorado in the worst blizzard of 2013 and i had no problem pushing through 9 inches of snow and pulling 12 cars out along the way. That experience in itself made driving a lifted xj as a daily completely 200% worth it.

#4 ·
I do lol its not my only vehicle but i drive it 90% of the time cause i love it so much lol my MPG arent that bad i average probably 14-15 on 33s.

Ive also got my limabean... '91 5 speed :) if i drive easy i see 26mpg on the highway :2thumbsup:

#5 ·
i daily'd mine on 33's for s few years, expect to wear through everything faster. brakes, ball joints, unit bearings, that sort of stuff, it's not bad, just keep up on it and dont do things the cheap way

#9 ·
Not my only ride but I always drive the Jeep, only pull it off DD duty while I do big maintenance or fab work so I dont have to rush it. Maybe sometime next year I intend to pick up another XJ to leave mostly stock as a DD so I can get a little more wild on my current XJ.

As is though, Im 4.5" on 32s with a front locker and I am just as comfortable DD'ing it as anything else on the road. I take weekend long wheeling trips and drive it home with the cruise set to 75 and a finger on the wheel.

#11 ·
My pickup (90 Dakota v6) was my DD but I love the Jeep a hell of a lot more and still get much better MPG even on 33s, at least where I drive every day. I have a short commute, but the truck does a lot better on the highway but I drive on the highway maybe 2-3 times a year. I'm about to get rid of the Dakota for a WJ for a DD though.

#12 ·
Mines jacked up 7" and its my only vehicle. Ya, its a little expensive to drive and not so comfortable as any other car is but it gets the job done and gives me another hobby to explore in. I can also show it off because no other vehicle is like it! I will always find a way to make my jeep stand out!

#14 ·
I retired Scampy last fall - it's sitting at 5.5" and 33's locked in front. It's very decent on fuel highway, but blows in town. I'd drive it just about anywhere, any distance, but is is a bit more work now.

I prefer driving it, but I have a van and a wife and 3 children, so I put the miles on the family van which is super comfy and save the miles and the rubber for the XJ when I go trail riding.

If the van ever dies, the XJ would get put back into daily service - I keep it plated and insured for that very reason.

#15 ·
My xj is my DD. 5.5" on 33" km2s. It doesn't get the best mileage but it's fun to drive. Living in a snowy environment, the added clearance and 4wd really makes all the difference. I had a awd subaru, but I didn't like driving it at all. The mileage was great though!

When its a super nice day out, I will drive the tj but it's usually the xj

#17 ·
I drive mine daily and it's my only car for now... Lifted 6-7", 35s, 4.88s, front locked and OTK steering. I love driving mine everyday even drive it 3 hours to my aunts every now and then to go hunting, handles great around town and on the highway. Its all about how you set it up and not taking any shortcuts. I've had to spend more then I would if it were a trail rig just to keep it as road worthy as it is now, the 4.88s help out a lot though! The two things that scares me now is the trails I run and having an accident on the road. Im more afraid of breaking something out on the trail and not having a back up and I know at speed with any abrupt maneuvers or any contact with another vehicle I'm most likely going over. Those are the only two downfalls to DDing and wheeling my Jeep as much as I do.

#18 ·
I drive mine daily and it's my only car for now... Lifted 6-7", 35s, 4.88s, front locked and OTK steering. I love driving mine everyday even drive it 3 hours to my aunts every now and then to go hunting, handles great around town and on the highway. Its all about how you set it up and not taking any shortcuts. I've had to spend more then I would if it were a trail rig just to keep it as road worthy as it is now, the 4.88s help out a lot though! The two things that scares me now is the trails I run and having an accident on the road. Im more afraid of breaking something out on the trail and not having a back up and I know at speed with any abrupt maneuvers or any contact with another vehicle I'm most likely going over. Those are the only two downfalls to DDing and wheeling my Jeep as much as I do.
Nice looking xj.

#23 ·
I agree it's all how you set it up and what your intentions for the rig are.

DDing is a different beast than something you only wheel and run errands in. Road manners tend to take priority for one while trail functionality take precedence for the other.
Also well said. If you DO go out and do some legitimate (i.e. lockers mandatory) wheeling, maintaining the rig enough to keep it DD friendly WILL keep you busy. I do intend to get wilder with my rig in time and pull it from DD duty, but I ALWAYS want it licensed.

I see no point in having a rig you have to trailer 5 miles down the road unless its just a built up comp rig. Its rewarding to be able to wheel with your buddies trailer queens and drive the rig home. Just takes a lot of preventative maintenance and planning. Luck always favors the prepared.

#24 ·
Your daily drive is a pretty big factor as well. I only drive about 4 miles to work and I work off hours (7-4 instead of 9-5) so I encounter very little traffic. If I was driving on the highway every day I doubt I'd drive my XJ to work as much. I love getting to drive mine daily but at the same time I'd have some much more lengthy projects done if, but then again if I had somewhere to keep the Jeep immobile for any length of time I could just drive my pickup anyway lol

#25 ·
I am only 4 miles from work as well so that certainly makes a difference. My XJ does fine for longer trips but there are definately better options for daily work commutes. Heres a shot from today, using the XJ on an 80 mile date night with the wife, with cruise set at 70.

#29 ·
I drive my 95 xj everywhere, living in gunnison colorado it's great to be able to go anywhere I would like. My xj with 31's and stock gearing (for now) and manual tranny is so much fun to drive. may not look liek much but as everone knows it takes time to build it right. being a DD does prolong that. I would have to agree that doing things right is the biggest challenge. but worth every penny. preparing for winter have heated seat kit waiting to install and injectors arriving monday from presicion auto injectors lets hope they work... There is nothing like getting in a xj every morning and asking yourself where to?

#30 ·
With all these replies I'm feeling much more comfortable, my last DD was a 85 k5 lifted 10" on 40" ******s, but I was only driving to work 4 miles once every two days. I've only had this Cherokee for a week before I got sent to Puerto Rico for work where I've been the past month. Just been curious and happy bow to see that it doesn't seem like there are a lot of huge maintenance issues, and as soon as I get back I'm getting those 4.56 gears in to help out

#31 ·
I have been de mine or 10 years started off with 3 inches of lift went to 5.5 inches had an 80 mile drive for years and have put on almost 180,000 miles since I have owned it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.