When was the last time you saw a Factory Diesel XJ/MJ? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > When was the last time you saw a Factory Diesel XJ/MJ?

50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com

Unread 12-19-2012, 01:03 PM   #31
JSBach1775
1985 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by automan2164 View Post
I still haven't found another set of gauges... What do you have?

Rob
I believe a complete gauge/dash set from 85 Cherokee... have to dig it up and check. It also might just be the tach and speedometer set. I have a defective tach read out, with the needle just slowly climbing or dropping, or going all the way to the top RPM... the same happened with the other tach. That is why I obtained the second set. Have to check the sender unit... or whatever it uses for a sender. Likely a problem with that. Just now switching to 192 Thermostat to try ad seal the head gasket leak!?! Otherwise it is another new hd gasket within two years, only thins time proper torquing. It is a great vehicle and in great shape in all other respects... oh, a slight water leak somewhere around the drivers door or windshield?!
JS

JSBach1775 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2012, 02:55 PM   #32
cherokee01_8873

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Moved to europe last year and am currently looking at a 2000 XJ with a 2.5 turbo diesel and low miles.

01 Cherokee ( Patriot Blue)
2in lift front 3in rear, transfer case drop, 30/9.50/15, Dynomax muffler.Trailer hitch. Alarm with remote start. Upgraded Speakers, Painted rims. Custom Flag mounts for Silver Lake. Some little things to come. (Sold)
cherokee01_8873 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #33
miceanic
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Just found out the MJ next door is a diesel in need of an alternator.
miceanic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2012, 01:10 AM   #34
XJGuy07
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I have only seen one diesel xj before. It was in an airplane hanger with its hood up and when I walked over to it I just sat there and stared stupidly at it for about 10 minutes. Someone had to walk over to tell me it was diesel. I felt a little stupid. I didn't even know they made a diesel motor. haha opps
XJGuy07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 10:47 PM   #35
ILLGETYOU22
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 86 Comanche 2.1td that will be for sale shortly 80k 4wd runs good needs work has rust but frame is solid 203 550 2693
ILLGETYOU22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 09:38 AM   #36
biggerbrowndog
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yep

I work at a gas station.
About a month ago
I seen a xj getting diesel,
But by the time I got out there it was gone,
Sad I wanted to talk to the guy.
Oh well,

Sunoco state at mackinaw
biggerbrowndog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 09:40 AM   #37
biggerbrowndog
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Saginaw, mi

Btw
biggerbrowndog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2013, 02:00 AM   #38
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

There is a diesel XJ at the local salvage yard. been there a while, and I don't know if it is the 2.1 or 2.5... but if you are interested in parts I could snap a few pics next time I am there... PM me if interested, I don't get on here much anymore.
Built Not Bought #666
KG8893 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2013, 05:41 AM   #39
automan2164
1986 MJ Comanche 

PM sent.

Rob
automan2164 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 05:09 PM   #40
HawksWin
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Wow. Absolutely love this! Checked out your post on comancheclub.com and your in Harvard?! Im down in Garden Prairie! Would love to see this thing! Maybe me and my XJ will see ya when were heading up to Delavan with the boat! I always cut through Harvard! Good find, and best of luck with the resto!
HawksWin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 05:26 PM   #41
automan2164
1986 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksWin View Post
Wow. Absolutely love this! Checked out your post on comancheclub.com and your in Harvard?! Im down in Garden Prairie! Would love to see this thing! Maybe me and my XJ will see ya when were heading up to Delavan with the boat! I always cut through Harvard! Good find, and best of luck with the resto!
Stop on by if you want, I am home tonight. Shoot me an email if you want to head by. automan2164 @ yahoo.com

Rob
automan2164 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2013, 11:34 AM   #42
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Diesel XJ at the yard was gone when I went.
Built Not Bought #666
KG8893 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 10:21 AM   #43
houseofdiesel

A few notes on the J8S I can share from my Winnebago experiences

change the oil pump driveshaft every timing belt change OR MORE OFTEN!!! It is the number one cause of engine failure after all these years, long shaft looks like an allen key/XZN tool that strips and fails, easily found under the vacuum pump 6" long (runs between the vacuum pump and oil pump)

Turbo is unique to the JEEP application, no new ones but rebuilding is possible still. The Winnebago has a much larger turbo very much like a Mercedes 617.95 turbo (3.0L 5cyl) again no longer available but rebuilding.

Rockauto has lots of parts available out of the UK, shipping is high but GREAT selection, just be sure you click on the EU flag when searching for parts not just USA this is how I get Winnebago powertrain parts at very reasonable prices, the dealer that remains is a crook for parts (compare a cam seal $3 to $20+!!!). There is also a garage just outside of Montreal Quebec Canada Robert Marleau that specializes, he has everything in stock and no problem shipping, no website just phone, speaks no english really just french but amazing person that shares his wealth of knowledge and always has what I need just Winnebago but most of the engine parts are the same.

They are absolutely great motors, so simple and so reliable due to the simplicity of it. Nothing complicated, no vacuum controls like old Mercedes diesels, well designed fuel system that NEVER leaks (injectors have permanent hoses for return lines), simple to work on starter, alternator, adjustments no special tools needed. When they work properly they are amazing little engines, they seem to stay fresher/have fewer issues vs the other european diesels, maybe due to the lack of use and winter driving.

In our Winnebago we manage 25mpg (us gallon) or 10L/100kms all day long, and hill climbs are no problem it has plenty of power on the highway, slow cruising due to the gearing and not fast off the line, but great for what it is.

The Jeep td is pretty rare, I see them once in a while about as often as a diesel Winnebago. I know of two Jeep Cherokee td for sale that are basically parts cars, full of mold inside and sitting for 10+ years, apparently running but far from road worthy and the mechanic selling them wants $5000 for the pair! Just because they are rare is his reason...
houseofdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #44
ONX
1986 XJ Cherokee 

I just picked up a 86 2 door cherokee TD. I will post pics later today. I would like more info on the oil pump though.

Originally Posted by urbanassault
And for The sake of humanity, don't pick your nose while driving, if the airbag deploys it will jam your figer up you nose killing you instantly!
ONX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #45
houseofdiesel

For the oil pump here are some steps
1-remove the vacuum pump on the drivers side lower engine block (below injection pump sort of behind alternator/ps pump
2-lift the allen key shaped driveshaft out of the hole carefully, with a magnet or pliers and a steady grip
3-inspect the ends of the driveshaft, they typically get rounded off with age not sure where you would source a driveshaft I am sure it could be made with tool stock, the garage I mentioned sells them.
4-replace the Oring on vacuum pump
5-carefully reinstall the driveshaft into the hole, "feeling" for the opening for it in the oil pump yes you can miss easily and drop down into the oil pan, so be patient and careful, use a flexible LED light to guide you it is not the easiest place to get your head into for a look!
6-reinstall vacuum pump, sometimes you need to play around to get the driveshaft to mesh up/mate, might take a couple attempts before it drops down into place

The driveshaft looks just like a long allen key maybe 6-8mm in diameter. I will dig around for my old used one and take a pic, it is approx 6" long.
I managed to change mine in half an hour, not a big deal job just don't drop the shaft!
houseofdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.