When was the last time you saw a Factory Diesel XJ/MJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > When was the last time you saw a Factory Diesel XJ/MJ?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 07-14-2012, 01:02 AM   #1
automan2164
1986 MJ Comanche 

When was the last time you saw a Factory Diesel XJ/MJ?

I see one everyday when I walk out of my house.

It is a blessing, and yet a curse. Which brings me to my next point. I am willing to offer up any info, pictures, entertainment, or otherwise whore myself out for help.

I am looking for any parts, pieces, vehicles, advertising, or anything at all related to XJ/MJ's with the factory 2.1L Turbo Diesel. More specifically, I need a gauge cluster, since the tach in my original cluster was broken.

Since not many people get to see one of these, I'll share some keynotes for the curious.

1986 Jeep Comanche "X"
2.1L Renault J8S 2068 CC Intercooled Turbo Diesel
AX5 Manual
NP207 Transfer
D30/35 4.10's

Weirdness in photos:

Engine bay:

Intercooler:

OHC:

Cluster:

Fuel Gauge:

Instead of a Voltmeter (Most people's favorite part):

Interior:

I picked it up in Virginia Beach, VA, after a long, arduous road trip. I got it home, and started the daunting task of going through it. Many things on these get neglected, due to a lack of knowledge. Intervals, fluids, general maintenance...The timing belt should be changed every 100k, but many people don't. Big mistake since these are an interference engine. I had to wait 4 months for a timing belt, the only one which surfaced was sitting on a dusty shelf in Belgium. Yet another challenge of having such an odd duck. Parts availability. The engine seal kit I had to source from Hamburg, Germany. Odd little motor. Aluminum block, aluminum head, steel wet sleeves, overhead cam. It makes 85 horsepower, and 132 ft lbs of torque... And gets roughly 30 MPG. Yep, you read right. 30 MPG. The only other guy I know that has one averaged 30 also, and could get 38 on the highway. I have yet to take mine on an extended trip.

I did have it over by the only other guy that has a Diesel MJ, and his shows the years of midwest living badly. That, and his has about 270K on it. He was helping get mine going, but I had the rare opportunity to catch a rare truck meeting a rare truck.

And how about hearing them run?

In cab view of the gauges on mine:

Underhood rev/Exhaust note (Nevermind the hillbilly exhaust, remnants of PO)

Anyway... I wanted to toss this up to educate anyone on this that might not have seen one before. Also to put the feelers out and to ask any of you to keep an eye out for me. Someone had estimated that there were fewer than 30 XJ/MJ's with the Factory Diesel left in the states. I would appreciate it that if you came across one for sale, junked, or parts of one, that you keep me in mind.

Also, if you have any questions, ask away.
Rob

automan2164 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2012, 02:28 AM   #2
awesomejack
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Do you really think there's only thirty in the states? I saw a diesel XJ on craigslist about a year ago, it was listed for $1500 or $2000 or something. I should've taken it!
awesomejack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
XJAl
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Nice find! I've never acutally seen one of these in person. What are your plans for it?
1993 XJ Sport
XJAl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2012, 12:33 PM   #4
automan2164
1986 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomejack View Post
Do you really think there's only thirty in the states? I saw a diesel XJ on craigslist about a year ago, it was listed for $1500 or $2000 or something. I should've taken it!
I would buy another one, but only because I know about their quirks now. Parts are neigh extinct. The head gasket comes in 3 different thicknesses, depending on deck height. They don't take heat well, or at all, so if it looks like it's been overheated, run. Base timing and cold idle are set by a capsule with coolant running through it.Almost forgot this little gem, Number one cylinder isn't at the radiator, it's at the firewall. Those little intricacies are what get you if you don't know about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJAl
Nice find! I've never acutally seen one of these in person. What are your plans for it?
My plans are to restore it to its 100% stock trim. I have already completely gutted the interior, as well as replaced the dash. I've ran through it a couple of times, and I am still fixing things as they come. One of my favorite things to do is take it to shows. I just sit there with the hood popped, and wait to hear the "What the..." Or my favorite "What is that diesel out of?" Or the ever annoying "How hard was it to put a bed on your Cherokee?"

Rob
Unread 07-15-2012, 10:40 AM   #5
XJAl
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like a good plan. It's always nice to see XJ's and MJ's restored, especially one as rare as yours. Keep us updated on the resto as you go along, I'm interested to see how it turns out.
1993 XJ Sport
Unread 07-15-2012, 10:44 AM   #6
jrunberg
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I love my diesels, but such an old rig would scare the heck out of me!

Would LOVE to drop a VW TDI engine into my LJ, however...
jrunberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2012, 08:56 PM   #7
automan2164
1986 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJAl View Post
Sounds like a good plan. It's always nice to see XJ's and MJ's restored, especially one as rare as yours. Keep us updated on the resto as you go along, I'm interested to see how it turns out.
I actually have a 12 page and counting step by step of purchase to current thread going over on Comanche Club. Feel free to check it out.

http://comancheclub.com/forums/viewt...hp?f=7&t=32872

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrunberg
I love my diesels, but such an old rig would scare the heck out of me!

Would LOVE to drop a VW TDI engine into my LJ, however...
I've been over my head a couple times with it, but I just try to keep my chin up and improvise, adapt, and overcome.

Part of my posting here is just to toss out that I have access to such an oddity. The more I have about it on the interwebs, the more I might end up helping someone like myself. It was tough going with as many unanswered questions as I started with... It helped knowing someone who had one for 170K. Now I would love to be the guide for someone.

Pics, questions, anything. Even just to satisfy a curiosity.

Rob
Unread 07-17-2012, 07:11 PM   #8
XJAl
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Just checked out your thread on the Comanche forum. Good work bringing that thing back to life! Keep the updates coming, can't wait to see how it turns out.
1993 XJ Sport
Unread 07-17-2012, 07:21 PM   #9
jffantic1

I registered on the forums because of this post, I have been looking all over google and stumbled upon this one. I am looking for a OEM turbo, IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND!
jffantic1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2012, 06:52 PM   #10
automan2164
1986 MJ Comanche 

Thanks for the kind words fellas. I'll be sure to keep you posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jffantic1 View Post
I registered on the forums because of this post, I have been looking all over google and stumbled upon this one. I am looking for a OEM turbo, IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND!
This is the exact reason I want to plant as many seeds as possible. Have you tried the dealer? Also, the only other domestic vehicle to get these was a Winnebago LeSharo. You can try mobilityrv (http://www.winnebagoparts.com/lesharo-phasar.php) for used/new parts. EBay scares some up at times, but few and far between. I would imagine you could call Garrett also, as they are the manufacturer.

Rob
Unread 07-18-2012, 07:09 PM   #11
automan2164
1986 MJ Comanche 

And a little something extra to help you out:

Rob
Unread 07-18-2012, 07:58 PM   #12
ibjeepin95
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I have only seen 1 XJ with a diesel. It usually shows up at All Breeds Jeep Show in York, PA every year. Near mint, low miles. All original.
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2012, 08:29 PM   #13
BlueBadger

I saw one XJ 2.1 whizz be me, once(with out of state tags), so I pulled an illegal U turn and ran a stop light to catch up but a cop saw all this. And actually laughed when I explained why I was trying to catch that Jeep!! He found it so funny he let me go without a ticket. but it was to late the little oil burner XJ escaped!

Big thumbs up on your MJ!!! Thank you for sharing! I do not ever know when I'll be able to use all this info you gave us but I'm still smiling like a boy in toysRus!! Good job!!
BlueBadger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2012, 01:39 AM   #14
automan2164
1986 MJ Comanche 

Can't believe I missed the replies on this, but thanks! I get a case of the smiles when fellow Jeepers that are in-tune enough to know what it is and appreciate it. I also like the reaction from the younger crowd that doesn't know Jeep make pickups, let alone a diesel one.

Rob
Unread 08-05-2012, 11:40 AM   #15
gcy24
1999 XJ Cherokee 

i have seen an Xj that was right hand drive. it was wrecked and the guy that bought it was going to fix it up. but it was cool he was assuming it came from europe (which is obvious from the right hand drive) but it was very cool.

selling "snowflake" 15x7 wheels with 225/75/15 tires, pm me.
gcy24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.