Votes: 24 46.2%
  • Fram

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Purolator

Votes: 15 28.8%

What's your oil filter?

5K views 57 replies 48 participants last post by  Motorcharge 
#1 ·
Now I understand that there are way more oil filters than the ones listed. After talking to friends and past threads, I think these are the most common. So more or less I want to see out of these 4, which is the most popular. Thanks for participating!

#7 ·
Think I will look into this. How much more oil can it hold? 1/2 to full quart?

#10 ·
Apparently I should have had Wix as an option. I had no idea they were so popular!

#16 ·
Am I really the only XJ owner on these forums that uses the K&N filter?
I remember past discussions involving oil filters, and yet again, I was the sole member who used K&N's.
I just like em because of the 1" nut on the top. I think there's other filter brands out there with a similar nut on the top of the filter, but K&N was the first brand I found that had em, so that's what I stick with. And in case you're wondering why I need a 1" nut on the top of my filter, it's because I had a bad experience before involving a cheapo mopar filter that got stuck to the oil filter adapter. Ended up ripping off the can and filter, and using a sawzall and chisel to notch the threaded bottom part of the filter, and get a starting point to hammer the thing off with a chisel.

#23 ·
Wix for the Ford FL-1A is 51515 and is quality. If you are changing at 3-4k mileage you could use the FL-1A cause its a little cheaper. It's bigger than stock. Lots of good choices to protect the engine. Make it magnetic by getting some magnets from a craft store and put them around the can, then a strip of duct tape. (Don't judge me, I'm cheap and it works)

#36 ·
Nothing wrong with Mobil 1 they're good filters, but they aren't significantly better than the WIX/Napa Gold or Purolator PureOne which are about half the price.

Mobil 1 filters are fine if you can get them on sale for around the same price as the Purolator or WIX/Napa but I wouldn't pay extra for one.

#37 ·
On the ZJ and XJ, Mopar or Wix. Fram filters suck and can screw you, so can most other dirt cheap filters like those used by the drive thru oil change shops. Oil pressure issues abound with cheap filters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.