What's Up!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > What's Up!!

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 06-24-2013, 11:59 PM   #1
EpsilonxSigma
2001 XJ Cherokee 

What's Up!!

Hello everyone, I just signed up an I figured I would say hi. I fell in love with Jeeps in 2004 when I bought a 2001 TJ sport. Since then I've owned several cars that were not Jeeps, (2006 Pontiac GTO, 2005 F-150 Lariat, 2004 BMW M3) but I always end up coming back. No other vehicle fits my lifestyle and the things I like to do like a Jeep does. My last Jeep was a 2006 TJ X with 3" suspension lift, 1" body lift, 33's, flat fenders, tube bumpers, Hella light bar, Rampage soft top, and improved headlights. In a fit of madness I sold it and bought a 2004 BMW M3. Fast-forward 10 months to the present, the BMW is gone and now i'm the proud owner of a 2001 XJ with 56k miles on the odo. It's bone stock, super clean, and the guy I bought it from has never taken it off-road (or outside the D.C. Metro area for that matter) so i'll get to break it in. I will attach some pics. I love wheeling, either in the mud or on the rocks. So, if you live in the Central VA area, send me a message.

Future Mods on the XJ:
4" Suspension lift
33's
Flat fenders
Bumpers front/rear
New axle assemblies w/ Dana 44's
4.56 gears

EpsilonxSigma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 06:30 AM   #2
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Damn that's a clean XJ.
Built Not Bought #704

Previous:
'00 XJ 6.5 on 35" KM2s
'96 ZJ 2 on 31" Baja Claws
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 06:38 AM   #3
EpsilonxSigma
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I know I considered it a steal at $7,000, also taking into account the low mileage.
Unread 06-25-2013, 06:42 AM   #4
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Not bad but I still don't know if I'd spend 7k on a 12 y/o vehicle. Though with 56k miles it'd be hard to pass up.
Built Not Bought #704

Previous:
'00 XJ 6.5 on 35" KM2s
Unread 06-25-2013, 07:00 AM   #5
EpsilonxSigma
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, the age was less than optimal, but buying that BMW really undermined my purchasing position. Before I traded my 2006 TJ X, it only had 40k miles on it. In this area I could have sold it easily for 16k. Instead, I traded it title for title for the 04' M3. I had plans to get back into amateur autocross like I did with my GTO, however that dream never materialized and I was faced with some major repair bills for the M3. BMW's cost an arm and a leg to service and I would have spent $2,000 on repairs. I just said screw it and sold it as is. That left me with a not so lofty budget of $10k to find a 2005 and up Wrangler under 100k miles. I searched as far as 300 miles away and couldn't find one, instead I found the XJ. Not one of my wisest or well thought out descisions to trade my TJ, but I feel I made a good comeback with the XJ.
Unread 06-25-2013, 09:40 AM   #6
BS87
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Check the coolant every 4 to 5 days. It's low miles, but with that 0331 head, get into the habit now. Make it a ritual.
BS87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 10:11 AM   #7
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS87 View Post
Check the coolant every 4 to 5 days. It's low miles, but with that 0331 head, get into the habit now. Make it a ritual.
Oh my god not this crap again.

Just make sure never to overheat it, and if it's not leaking coolant you're most likely fine. You don't need to check it every 5 days, christ.
Built Not Bought #704

Previous:
'00 XJ 6.5 on 35" KM2s
Unread 06-25-2013, 02:04 PM   #8
BS87
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ View Post

Oh my god not this crap again.

Just make sure never to overheat it, and if it's not leaking coolant you're most likely fine. You don't need to check it every 5 days, christ.
It literally takes 1 minute, and unexplained coolant loss is a perfect symptom of a cracked head. Plenty of 0331 heads go 200k plus. A notable number crack as well. I agree the issue is overhyped and is somewhat preventable, but it is still a known issue. Taking 1 minute, once a week is easy preventative maintenance (that everyone should do anyway), not "crap"
BS87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 09:47 PM   #9
EpsilonxSigma
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the info. I plan on keeping this one for a long time, so I don't mind a little PMCS
Unread 06-25-2013, 10:34 PM   #10
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

It would be better to just ensure you have a good baseline on the cooling system and monitor the thermostat like a normal person would in any other vehicle. There are a few percent of the 0331 heads that ever cracked, and almost all of them from an engine overheat scenario.

I have an '00 XJ that is also white.

Living on a gravel road in the rust belt, it is no where near as nice as this specimen. My engine bay is like an abortion compared to that - even your underhood light works!
Unread 06-25-2013, 11:28 PM   #11
EpsilonxSigma
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I believe in the antiques world they refer to that as the patina For me it's cleanliness is a curse and a blessing. Curse, because I'll try my hardest to keep it looking that way and probably fail. Blessing...pretty much self-explanatory. I've only had it a few days and I'm almost ready to press the order button on a Quadratec wheel package with 31" MT's and a set of cut-out flares. I'm envisioning that the black wheels and black flares will look awesome along with the existing black accents and striping.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.