What's a Chrokeese? (build thread) - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > What's a Chrokeese? (build thread)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-24-2014, 12:45 PM   #76
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej
I've got sound deadener sitting in my living room for install maybe this weekend. Total weight is just over 100 lbs IIRC, and this is for the roof, hatch, and all four doors. Should be fun, though. And quiet.
I probably won't be doing a full sound deadening this year, but I'll probably deaden the firewall and floor while I have the dash out. I'll probably do the rest next year.

Sent from my phone

mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2014, 02:00 PM   #77
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

In addition to blocking outside noise it should also enhance the quality of sound from your speakers.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2014, 03:00 PM   #78
CEScuzzy
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
I will be painting it in the pattern pictured earlier...
I want to see how it'll look with the color combination, because I'm thinking about doing a two-tone on my '01 in similar colors, but with the light grey/silver below the ridge in the door.

Excited to see how this turns out!

-Scuzz
Unread 07-24-2014, 04:34 PM   #79
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepkid03
In addition to blocking outside noise it should also enhance the quality of sound from your speakers.
Yep, I'm looking forward to that as well. I'll be poly filling my sound bar as well as baffles that will be wrapping my front mids (component tweets will be likely).

Sent from my phone
Unread 07-24-2014, 06:26 PM   #80
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Keeping an eye on this one. Nice choice on the HD Offroad stiffeners, btw. Some form of stiffeners are pretty crucial to an XJ build if you intend to get a long life from one.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2014, 05:47 PM   #81
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Swapped my 703 injectors from the 96 today. Still gotta swap the 5-90/KWiP batt cables over as well as a pair of speakers, then the 96 will be full unmodded and ready to be sold (I won't be parting it out--it doesn't need much to be back to normal and driving around again).

Tune-up is coming soon and will consist of:
  • MSD coil
  • Magnecore wires
  • Autolite XP985 plugs gapped to at least 0.045 if not as high as 0.065 if I can get away with it
  • brass cap/rotor
I ordered these parts through Nick Ianuzzi (aka Kolak kolak@aol.com). While his kit usually has Autolite Platinum plugs, he is willing to supply iridiums to me for a little extra, and I always try to support quality Jeep vendors when I can.

P.S. I'm also trying to keep post #2 updated with the current status of the Chrokeese from now on.
Unread 07-28-2014, 06:48 PM   #82
ninjakid

1987 YJ Wrangler 

You probably already know about it but autolite has a rebate on their plugs.
I was ordering ap985s at the time so I wasnt really paying attention to the others but I believe it's a 2.50 rebate a plug for the xp's.

Gotta question for you.
For the brake clunk you have, if you jack up the side making the offending noise and push/pull the tire in and out can you move the axle shaft in and out of the axle a small amount?
Unread 07-29-2014, 03:41 AM   #83
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjakid View Post
For the brake clunk you have, if you jack up the side making the offending noise and push/pull the tire in and out can you move the axle shaft in and out of the axle a small amount?
Yes, and that is quite normal for C-clip axles like the 8.25 as long as it is only a very little amount. It is not the source of the noise. I recently loosened my lugs, wobbled the butt of the Jeep back and forth a bit, and retightened the lugs. The clunking is gone, and I'd say any irregular braking forces (surging) have been reduced by 90%. I'm almost totally certain my problem stems from the decayed drum brake pilot flange as described in the TSB I linked earlier. I'll deal with that at a later date.
Unread 07-29-2014, 10:28 AM   #84
ninjakid

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Got it thanks.
Recently the rear left brake on my families XJ started making a clunking/thud sound on braking.
I took it apart and the only thing that seemed to possibly be a issue was I could push and pull the axle shaft a tiny bit and it'd clunk each time.
Although now that I put it back together the noise has at least temporarily gone away.
Since 96 was the changeover year for the 8.25 I might be dealing with the same flange issue you are.
ninjakid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2014, 11:38 AM   #85
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Despite the gas that was leaked during the injector swap and the gas that was lost when one of the injector o-rings failed (no fire, but a reminder to get a fire extinguisher in case I'm not as lucky next time), the last mpg check came out to be 19.7 mpg for my mixed style commuting.

Sent from my phone
Unread 07-31-2014, 11:51 AM   #86
DunmerBoy
eXJpedition

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
Despite the gas that was leaked during the injector swap and the gas that was lost when one of the injector o-rings failed (no fire, but a reminder to get a fire extinguisher in case I'm not as lucky next time), the last mpg check came out to be 19.7 mpg for my mixed style commuting.

Sent from my phone
thats great! I'm sitting over here hoping for 15 of a similar style commute haha
- Build Thread -
DunmerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2014, 10:21 AM   #87
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

So I can't find anyone to install my frame stiffeners. There's a welder next door to where I work, but after seeing the job they just did to one of our (my company) machine's trailers, they won't be getting my business EVER (awful prep and terrible welds). Every reputable body shop (and many that I've heard nothing about as well) closes before I ever finish work or can get to them after work. None are open on Sat despite some of them claiming otherwise on their web sites... I leave my house at 5 am and am rarely home before 5 or 6 pm. I will not drop my vehicle off with anyone without first meeting them, seeing their shop, and getting an estimate first--won't happen. How's a guy with a real job supposed to ever get something like this accomplished with all of these places open until 5 on weekdays only? At this point, all I want are estimates, and I can't even get that.

Yeah, I'm frustrated.

Sent from my phone
Unread 08-02-2014, 06:19 PM   #88
Teej
Jordan's Bish

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Hey man, I started my SDS deadening today. Took a video of an untreated door vs a treated door. Thought you might like to see the difference. The door shutting doesn't sound too different because my doors are removable and therefore don't line up 100%, but the difference in knocking is HUGE.

Instagram: @tj_chciuk

CoTM March 2014
Teej is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2014, 06:31 PM   #89
Muddy97Cherokee

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Nice two door!! Makes me jealous! Good build so far and liking the future plans!
BUILD THREAD

-ZACK
Muddy97Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2014, 03:50 PM   #90
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Changed the oil filter adapter O-ring today. I did this on my 96 shortly after buying it, and it was hell then. Even applying some of the things I learned that time around, my neighbors got to hear lots of colorful language today.

I know I've been light on photos lately. I have so much to do (not just Jeep stuff) and so little time that I haven't been remembering. When I tackle larger projects, I'll likely remember.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.