What's a Chrokeese? (build thread) - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > What's a Chrokeese? (build thread)

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-Load

Unread 07-12-2014, 11:20 AM   #61
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

I have found that a sagging door incorrectly impacting the striker can and will lead to this damage especially on a 2-door. My door is sagging slightly but hits the striker fine. I figure that, once upon a time, the door sagged and caused this stress/damage before someone eventually adjusted the striker down as a "fix." The damage had already been done, and the proper fix would have been to realign the door which I will now have to do when I get the cracks fixed.

This explanation seems much more likely as there is zero evidence of this XJ ever doing anything more extreme than getting groceries. I'll still be getting frame stiffeners to be on the safe side.

mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2014, 05:27 PM   #62
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Cibie headlight housings with 70/65W Osram bulbs have been installed.

Broken defroster blend door, weak airflow through the heater core, and a very annoying clunking from the rear during braking. My new Bendix shoes and drums of the 96 took a lot of the edge off of the rear clunking (frequency directly related to speed of vehicle and only during braking), but it is still there.

I already had more stuff than I can handle doing with the time and energy I have available, but these stupid issues are really complicating things. The rear might not be so bad, but I fear that I won't be able to determine the cause. The dash stuff will utterly suck, and I have no idea when I'm going to get the time to screw around with all of that, but I do NEED to get hot defroster air flowing properly before winter hits.
Unread 07-17-2014, 06:00 PM   #63
ninjakid

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Do you have the 8.25 axle?
Here's a service bulletin regarding clunking on 97-99's with the 8.25.
Let me know if this link doesn't work.
http://content.chiltonsonline.com/(S...iZEnxOyw%3d%3d
ninjakid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2014, 06:10 PM   #64
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks, ninjakid. I had JUST found that on my own and was about to post it. I'll investigate that...sometime soon. I kinda just hope that's the problem so that I can KNOW, fix it, and get on with life. Gotta change the diff oil anyway.

It seems unbelievable to me that a difference of 0.02 inches could create such a clunking noise, but who am I to argue with a TSB?

This 97 has an unknown service history. Do you think I should just change the wheel bearings while I'm at it as a preventative measure or don't fix what isn't broken? I'm not thrilled about the idea, especially the thought of ripping the unit bearings off the front, but the rear is easy enough, and the front, while a pain, isn't worth paying the stupid expensive labor a shop would want.

Additionally, I'm having a difficult time figuring out from whom I should buy an axle shaft if that turns-out to be necessary. Surely some must be better than others like with any part.
Unread 07-17-2014, 06:28 PM   #65
JMH21814
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
Thanks, ninjakid. I had JUST found that on my own and was about to post it. I'll investigate that...sometime soon. I kinda just hope that's the problem so that I can KNOW, fix it, and get on with life. Gotta change the diff oil anyway.

This 97 has an unknown service history. Do you think I should just change the wheel bearings while I'm at it as a preventative measure or don't fix what isn't broken? I'm not thrilled about the idea, especially the thought of ripping the unit bearings off the front, but the rear is easy enough, and the front, while a pain, isn't worth paying the stupid expensive labor a shop would want.
The real question is; where do you stop? If you do the hub assembies, why not the u-joints? If you do the u-joints, may as well pull the axles. Drain the diff and change the lip seals... If not all that, then while you already have most of the knuckles stripped down, why not drop the knuckles and change the ball joints? Then the tie rod ends, and the rest of the steering down the line...?

My suggestion is to leave well enough alone. Fix what you need to, chase what you have to. You have your hands full enough.
JMH21814 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2014, 06:36 PM   #66
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMH21814 View Post
The real question is; where do you stop?
You're right. I'd like a Detroit Truetrac in the rear someday. That could be an occasion for me to go all out refurbishing the rear, and if I throw a locker in the front, I can do likewise with the front then. For now, yeah, I need the least amount of stress and distractions possible.
Unread 07-17-2014, 07:00 PM   #67
ninjakid

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I'm with JMH, I'd change the oil and inspect the internals at the same time to see if anything seems wrong and I'd leave the rest alone for now, those bearings last a while and I can't see the bearings being a issue unless the owners were so negligent that all the oil leaked out through that annoying rubber plug in the cover.
You've got enough on your plate as it is with

http://www.amazon.com/Yukon-YA-C5209...eep+axle+shaft
Its only a single shaft and currently 25 dollars off the regular price but if you added it to your cart and saved it for later eventually the price will go down.
Amazon warehouse deals prices fluctuate every day and it'll go up and down every couple of days but I bet eventually it'll drop down to at least 80 which is what the dorman ones go for.
Assuming the service bulletin issue is your problem and a new shaft is what you need to fix it.
ninjakid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2014, 04:42 AM   #68
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Three projects to get done by winter:
  1. Pull the dash to fix the defroster actuator/flap, and while the dash is pulled I think I may as well install new heater and evap cores so that I don't have to pull the dash again anytime soon. Dash and seats out would be an ideal time to get some of my sound deadening material installed as well, so I'll do that, too. Projects like this one make me wish I had "car-guy" friends to lend a helping hand.
  2. Weld B-pillar cracks, install frame stiffeners, and paint the vehicle.
  3. Fluid changes along with slip yoke grease and rear end diagnosis and repair.

On a more positive note, I ordered a 10" subwoofer enclosure to be installed in the rear cubby area someday. http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f10/xj-...y-10-a-120210/

He has been considering stopping production, so I placed my order while he was still making them. The empty 10" enclosure cost me 265 shipped. He has a 12" enclosure including a Kicker CVR sub already made that he really wants to unload for 450 shipped (I think he'd go down to 400 or less, though).
Unread 07-18-2014, 07:13 AM   #69
Teej
Jordan's Bish

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Three projects to get done by winter:

[*]Pull the dash to fix the defroster actuator/flap, and while the dash is pulled I think I may as well install new heater and evap cores so that I don't have to pull the dash again anytime soon. Dash and seats out would be an ideal time to get some of my sound deadening material installed as well, so I'll do that, too. Projects like this one make me wish I had "car-guy" friends to lend a helping hand.[*]Weld B-pillar cracks, install frame stiffeners, and paint the vehicle.[*]Fluid changes along with slip yoke grease and rear end diagnosis and repair.

On a more positive note, I ordered a 10" subwoofer enclosure to be installed in the rear cubby area someday. http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f10/xj-...y-10-a-120210/

He has been considering stopping production, so I placed my order while he was still making them. The empty 10" enclosure cost me 265 shipped. He has a 12" enclosure including a Kicker CVR sub already made that he really wants to unload for 450 shipped (I think he'd go down to 400 or less, though).
See if you can cancel that order. I have one of those boxes from him that I'd sell you for cheaper. Let me know.

Instagram: @tj_chciuk

CoTM March 2014
Teej is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2014, 07:31 PM   #70
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej View Post
See if you can cancel that order. I have one of those boxes from him that I'd sell you for cheaper. Let me know.
He'd already begun work, and I didn't want to leave him hanging. Thanks, though.

In other news, I just ordered my HD Offroad Engineering frame stiffeners as well as my Monstaliner. I will be painting it in the pattern pictured earlier in the thread with a couple little touches that I'll just leave as a surprise for when it's all finished.

I'm not sure when this will all get done. Before winter for sure. Stay tuned.

Unread 07-23-2014, 07:38 PM   #71
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
He'd already begun work, and I didn't want to leave him hanging. Thanks, though.

In other news, I just ordered my HD Offroad Engineering frame stiffeners as well as my Monstaliner. I will be painting it in the pattern pictured earlier in the thread with a couple little touches that I'll just leave as a surprise for when it's all finished.

I'm not sure when this will all get done. Before winter for sure. Stay tuned.

Wait a second. .. That jeep isn't real... That's a drawing .. Did you think we wouldn't notice
Unread 07-23-2014, 10:36 PM   #72
DunmerBoy
eXJpedition

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772
He'd already begun work, and I didn't want to leave him hanging. Thanks, though. In other news, I just ordered my HD Offroad Engineering frame stiffeners as well as my Monstaliner. I will be painting it in the pattern pictured earlier in the thread with a couple little touches that I'll just leave as a surprise for when it's all finished. I'm not sure when this will all get done. Before winter for sure. Stay tuned.
I am so excited to see this come to fruition! You thinking you'll see any economy drops from the monstaliner?
- Build Thread -
DunmerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2014, 04:45 AM   #73
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunmerBoy View Post
I am so excited to see this come to fruition! You thinking you'll see any economy drops from the monstaliner?
Monstaliner may be a net weight increase of 12 lbs or less from what I've researched/calculated, and turbulence created by the texture should be utterly insignificant. No significant economy effect.

Comfort is more important to me than economy. The couple hundred pounds or more of sound deadening material that will be used eventually will certainly hurt economy more than Monstaliner, but I can't describe how much I'm looking forward to driving around in an XJ while still being able to talk to passengers without raising my voice.
Unread 07-24-2014, 07:51 AM   #74
DunmerBoy
eXJpedition

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772
Monstaliner may be a net weight increase of 12 lbs or less from what I've researched/calculated, and turbulence created by the texture should be utterly insignificant. No significant economy effect. Comfort is more important to me than economy. The couple hundred pounds or more of sound deadening material that will be used eventually will certainly hurt economy more than Monstaliner, but I can't describe how much I'm looking forward to driving around in an XJ while still being able to talk to passengers without raising my voice.
Oh I assumed it would weigh more. And that sound deadening stuff sounds awesome
- Build Thread -
DunmerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2014, 12:05 PM   #75
Teej
Jordan's Bish

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
monstaliner may be a net weight increase of 12 lbs or less from what i've researched/calculated, and turbulence created by the texture should be utterly insignificant. No significant economy effect.

Comfort is more important to me than economy. The couple hundred pounds or more of sound deadening material that will be used eventually will certainly hurt economy more than monstaliner, but i can't describe how much i'm looking forward to driving around in an xj while still being able to talk to passengers without raising my voice.
I've got sound deadener sitting in my living room for install maybe this weekend. Total weight is just over 100 lbs IIRC, and this is for the roof, hatch, and all four doors. Should be fun, though. And quiet.

Instagram: @tj_chciuk

CoTM March 2014
Teej is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.